Jump to content

Random Packer News & Notes


Recommended Posts

Yeah, Dexter situation is puzzling.  Rare that the reporters have a guy on and then he doesn't end up actually on.  I just googled and didn't see any record of him having signed with somebody else, either.  So doesn't appear to be a deal where he got a 53-man opportunity elsewhere, or got invited to PS by Packers but then took a PS on some other team that doesn't have as much RB depth ahead of him as GB has.  Kinda strange.  (Written before seeing note on going home for baby, or for Covid testing.) 

Edited by craig
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

We can comment all we want about whether the draft should be used for Year 1 or the future, but for better or worse, if you simply go by the initial depth chart put out by the Packers, this off-season, after the Packers went 13-3 and were one game away from the Super Bowl, Gutey added: 

1. A backup RT (after losing a starting RT)

2. A starting ILB (after losing a starting ILB)

3. A third-string QB (with 1st round pick)

4. A third-string RB (with 2nd round pick)

5. A third-fourth-string TE (with 3rd round pick) 

** He also added a WR who may have ended up somewhere between our 2nd-4th WR, who then opted out and was not replaced. 

Again, for better or worse, this off-season will be (and should be) judged for/against Gute for a long time to come depending on how it all works out this year and beyond for GB. 

 

Do you remember when everyone was celebrating the departure of Thompson and I said Gute is Thompson?

The Packers will never be the all-in, weaken your future to strengthen your present team.  
 

The Packers are and forever will be the premium position, premium investment, non-premium position, non-premium investment team.

They will never splurge on IOL, WR, TE, RB.  They will prioritize re-signing their own.  They will not make flashy moves for talent on other teams.

I guarantee we were probably offering a 5th and a 6th for Sanders and that Jets receiver whose name I can’t remember.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you remember when everyone was celebrating the departure of Thompson and I said Gute is Thompson?

The Packers will never be the all-in, weaken your future to strengthen your present team.  
 

The Packers are and forever will be the premium position, premium investment, non-premium position, non-premium investment team.

They will never splurge on IOL, WR, TE, RB.  They will prioritize re-signing their own.  They will not make flashy moves for talent on other teams.

I guarantee we were probably offering a 5th and a 6th for Sanders and that Jets receiver whose name I can’t remember.  

Oh I know. I get frustrated about it at times, especially now when we are basically at a 1-2 year window with Rodgers, but then I just accept it and move on. 

Also, I don't think this is just Gute's philosophy, I think a lot of this is Mark Murphy and his vision for the franchise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think TT was best when he had a good enough young roster so that he could be drafting a year ahead.  I'm hoping Gute is back in that landscape, where he can be drafting good talent with good long-term value; without needing to be drafting for Nowacrat need and expecting rookies to fix immediate problems.  

Coming out of camp, Gute's 2019 draft really does look like it's got a change to be a killer.  

*Gary, Savage, Jenkins, Sternberger, Keke, Holman, Summers:  All made roster.  

Jenkins and Savage are already good starters.  Gary seems poised to be a solid, high-usage high-snaps guy (even if he doesn't actually start).  Keke seems poised to get a lot of snaps, whether or not he actually starts, and camp reports have been pretty favorable.  (It's possible he might).  So I think there's a chance that we could have four guys all looking like winner draft picks, and all getting starter-like volume of snaps this year.  

Holman is obviously a depth guy, but reports have been favorable for him, too.  Got a chance to hang in the league for a while.  

Jace hasn't gotten any favorable reports this camp, but he's got an opportunity to get used a fair bit, and to have a role, too.  

Obviously drafting in the top-15 really helps, and having two first-round picks helped a ton.  But still, that has a chance to be a really, really good draft.  (All cautions understood:  Gary hasn't actually played effectively yet; Keke hasn't played effectively yet; camp hype is always exaggerated, etc..). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, Dexter situation is puzzling.  Rare that the reporters have a guy on and then he doesn't end up actually on.  I just googled and didn't see any record of him having signed with somebody else, either.  So doesn't appear to be a deal where he got a 53-man opportunity elsewhere, or got invited to PS by Packers but then took a PS on some other team that doesn't have as much RB depth ahead of him as GB has.  Kinda strange.  (Written before seeing note on going home for baby, or for Covid testing.) 

There was a packers news article the other day about the Packers working out Justin Britt, and at the bottom it said Robert Foster, De'Jon Harris and Dexter Williams were all expected to be added to the practice squad in the coming days.  That information from that article has been snipped out recently, so who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say, as much as I believe in the "you don't give big contracts to running backs," I'm kind of excited about the possibility of extending Aaron Jones for a few reasons:

1. He's an amazing person and the very definition of a Packers player in the way he conducts himself and interacts with the fans. You just want this guy on your team. 

2. As a team that has invested so little in our non-QB skilled positions on offense (RB/WR/TE), I'm not totally against keeping a guy who is currently our 1(a)-1(b) most talented skilled position player on offense along with Adams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Gotta say, as much as I believe in the "you don't give big contracts to running backs," I'm kind of excited about the possibility of extending Aaron Jones for a few reasons:

1. He's an amazing person and the very definition of a Packers player in the way he conducts himself and interacts with the fans. You just want this guy on your team. 

2. As a team that has invested so little in our non-QB skilled positions on offense (RB/WR/TE), I'm not totally against keeping a guy who is currently our 1(a)-1(b) most talented skilled position player on offense along with Adams. 

He's my favorite player and I think he's just scratching the surface.  He should have several top seasons ahead of him.  He's one of our most dynamic players on a team that doesn't have a lot of them. Hopefully he strikes a solid deal that work for all parties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

who is the current 2nd ILB behind kirksey... kamal martin?  Isn't he hurt?  So who is going to be in that spot, maybe Raven Greene even in "base" situations?

For what it's worth, right now the Packers depth chart has Owen Burks listed as starting ILB alongside Kirksey in base. Summers is listed as 2nd team at both ILB positions.  https://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart

A depth chart for the nickel D would be more useful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...