Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

As far as “BIG" Mack goes, I agree with the idea that the young man likely came into camps way overweight. I think there’s no downside to Gute bringing him in for the D-Line coaches and Pettine to assess. They had an open roster spot anyway, and we know in any case, Gute will continually look to upgrade the roster. If the Packers don’t think he can help the team his stay in Green Bay will be short.

But maybe he can bring that immovable object piece to the middle of the defense, and offer Kenny Clark some plays off. It may also help Kirksey in the middle to get some cleaner opportunities to make plays.

Daylon packs A LOT of mass to try and clear out on running plays We’ll see...

Edited by JQ1

Just now, packfanfb said:

Packers still have spot open on 53.

How does that even work?

Mack would have to be cut again, pass through waivers unclaimed before we can put him on the practice squad.

I don't understand why we didn't put Williams on the PS right away instead of Crockett. What was even preventing us from doing it in the first place? Maybe the only reason was there was a possibility that Williams might have covid so they isolated him whilst his covid test get tested.

Putting Crockett on the PS seems completely pointless, why not just leave the PS spot vacant. Seems like we wasted a little bit of money with this pointless manoeuvre.

Again, if we had no intention of keeping Light, why even put him on the PS?

It's clear the reporters have failed to provide accurate news because none of this makes sense.

Just now, Chili said:

How does that even work?

Mack would have to be cut again, pass through waivers unclaimed before we can put him on the practice squad.

I don't understand why we didn't put Williams on the PS right away instead of Crockett. What was even preventing us from doing it in the first place? Maybe the only reason was there was a possibility that Williams might have covid so they isolated him whilst his covid test get tested.

Putting Crockett on the PS seems completely pointless, why not just leave the PS spot vacant. Seems like we wasted a little bit of money with this pointless manoeuvre.

Again, if we had no intention of keeping Light, why even put him on the PS?

It's clear the reporters have failed to provide accurate news because none of this makes sense.

He was cut by the Giants. Already passed through waivers. He was a FA when we picked him up. He was never put on our 53. That was an reporting error. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Not sure why we would be that interested in Britt unless we feel he can play all over, including OT (which he has played before). We really don't need depth at C/G. OT we are hurting. 

i agree i didn't really get it when i saw they brought him in. his 3 cone is dog **** but he could prolly hold up at RT 

Britt is your prototypical size/speed LaFleur OL at almost 6'6"/5.19s but athletically he falls short with below average explosion and mobility drills. Britt was an OT in college but played at centre for much of his NFL career. It does sound like he has some positional versatility and has the NFL experience we covet. Bear in mind he did not fare so well at those other positions in the NFL before he settled at centre and becoming a pro bowl alternate. Apparently his pass blocking was not great but his run blocking was solid. Other than his recent injury he has been ultra durable.

Seattle cut him with a failed physical designation just less than 5 months ago. They could afford to let their starting centre go because they already had a centre they drafted on the roster. It's now been 11 months since his injury and he should be fully recovered. He's still only 29 and should be very affordable, in fact I wonder if we're waiting for the end of week one before we sign him? It would make sense.

If we do sign him then it would make 10 OL on the roster. That's alot. If we were to cut somebody then the obvious candidate would be Nijman but that makes little sense as we would left with just 1 true backup tackle AND we cut Light too. Patrick is the next candidate but we just signed him to a contract extension last year, we wouldn't have done that if we felt he was a poor fit for LaFleur OL scheme. Maybe we would be completely move on from Turner, turning the page by moving on from a mistake rather than keeping him hoping he would eventually justify his FA contract.