Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Could these two contradictory tweets be explained by the new NFL rule where a team can promote 2 players from the practice squad each week.

So he's on the practice squad but has been promoted which is why Demovsky thought he was on the roster.

Or was Demovsky completely wrong and he's just a PS signing.

Edited by Chili

32 minutes ago, Chili said:

Could these two contradictory tweets be explained by the new NFL rule where a team can promote 2 players from the practice squad each week.

So he's on the practice squad but has been promoted which is why Demovsky thought he was on the roster.

Or was Demovsky completely wrong and he's just a PS signing.

Packers have Mack and D. Williams listed on PS. So they still have a  roster spot. With release of Light, could this be the much anticipated Veldheer signing? The world awaits breathlessly. 

I've just found this cutup of Zack Johnson, our only OT on the PS. Here he is playing at right guard in the NFLPA game.

2019 CUT UP (#68 Right Guard):

2018 CUT UP  (#68 Right Tackle):

2017 CUT UP (#68 Right Tackle):

He's tall and he's athletic. Basically your typical LaFleur OL. He never had his pro day but his tape does suggest a highly athletic and versatile OL. He looks very natural at right tackle even though he's listed as a guard on Packers.com. He looks too skinny to play guard in the NFL and I think he's better off reverting back to tackle. I think when the Packers compared Light with Nijman and Johnson, their athletic profiles made it easy to move on from Light. I love Johnson's background:

Johnson is about as experienced of a rookie as you will see in today’s game. At NDSU he appeared in 54 games over his career, including 46 straight starts. What makes him so appealing is his versatility. Although listed as a guard on Packers.com, he was a second-team All-American at right tackle in 2018 and a first-team All-American at right guard in 2019.

In his most recent season of 2019, Johnson would record 77 knockdowns, or 6.4 per game, as NDSU rushed for a school-record 4,607 yards at 287.6 yards per game which was the fourth-best average in the FCS. On top of that, according to Pro Football Focus, Johnson logged over 700 pass-blocking snaps over his final two seasons and gave up only three sacks during that span.

Listed at 6’6″ – 315 pounds, Johnson has great size and although he may be considered a small-school prospect coming from NDSU, that program is a powerhouse that churns out NFL talent. Not to mention that having a four-time National Champion on the field in training camp is never a bad thing.

If you have lots of time to kill then check out the North Dakota State highlights. He would be wearing number #68. In 2019/20 games he would be playing at right guard but the earlier ones should be at right tackle:

vs James Madison (2020) National Championship FCS game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWEbQPmfCs

vs Montana State (2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frT5uVWjJs

vs Illnois State (2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtTUfjdyLcc

vs Delaware (2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxekaJJ3RY

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

...I don't understand why we didn't put Williams on the PS right away instead of Crockett. What was even preventing us from doing it in the first place? Maybe the only reason was there was a possibility that Williams might have covid so they isolated him whilst his covid test get tested.

Putting Crockett on the PS seems completely pointless, why not just leave the PS spot vacant. Seems like we wasted a little bit of money with this pointless manoeuvre.

Again, if we had no intention of keeping Light, why even put him on the PS?

It's clear the reporters have failed to provide accurate news because none of this makes sense.

Agree, signing Crockett and Light on Sunday only to release them on Thursday, I don't really see the point.  Williams was home for his baby, so I guess your covid idea, that they figured he might catch it at home or in the hospital, and then be missing for a couple of weeks, makes as much sense as anything I can think of.  I suppose the other possibility with Williams is that maybe his agent thought he could beat the GM bushes in hopes of either getting an actual roster spot for Dexter, or else getting a PS opportunity that paid higher than Packers, or something?  

I can't think of much hypothetically sensible for Light.  OK, the board is going to want it to be about Veldheer; he wanted to see if other teams might want him, but days after cutdown, he still doesn't have any buyers so now the Packers figure they can snag him after week one?  Or maybe with Wagner and Turner having experienced injuries, Light was signed as insurance in case either or both had setbacks?  But having gotten to Thursday without any setbacks for Wagner and Turner, maybe they figure they're good to go for Sunday and beyond?  

Just seems strange to hire two young men in Light and Crockett for 3-4 days and then release them.  Particularly as guys you've had for a couple of years and already know very well, it's not like they needed 3 days to get a look at them.  

• Like 1

The Mack signing didn't happen immediately, so it might have been that they planned to keep Light as of Sunday but just decided they preferred Mack. As noted above, the injuries to other offensive linemen could have played a role as well.

The Crockett one only makes sense if they thought one of the other guys was going to be moved onto the 53 because of injuries but the players healed more quickly than anticipated. Grasping at straws with that one.

Dexter Williams went home to see his kid and how his wife (or baby momma) were doing, then when he came back had to go though Covid-19 testing before anything became official.

Mack probably signed right away, but it wasn't announced until after he finished Covid-19 testing.

Releasing Light doesn't make sense unless either he did something to get in the dog house, or more likely they didn't believe he has the potential/ability to improve, as he seemed to have limited potential, which I don't believe Gute prefers limited potential guys which is why he likes Nijman more. Also Light needed to get stronger and more physical, or he'll never be better than a 4th OT, and I'm guessing he didn't.

Zack Johnson is not an OT, he's not athletic enough, plus he clearly had the worse pass protection of everyone in camp according to reporters on twitter, I'm surprised it was him that was let go, but with Turner practicing, they had four OTs, and they're seemingly trying to develop interior guys as Bak, Linsley and Taylor are in contract years, and if they want to or need to (say if they resign Taylor for cheap) they could release Turner or Wagner. Also there are just certain positions that rarely go from PS to important key player, and OT seems like one of them. Yes it's happened, but it.seems like other positions are more likely.

The open roster spot won’t get filled until Monday/Tuesday is my guessing.

Dont need to guarantee salaries after the first week. So if it is veldheer... they likely have it worked out that way.

It would be funny if it was Clay... seeing as Adam S got him retiring dead wrong.

9 hours ago, Beast said:

Releasing Light doesn't make sense unless either he did something to get in the dog house, or more likely they didn't believe he has the potential/ability to improve, as he seemed to have limited potential, which I don't believe Gute prefers limited potential guys which is why he likes Nijman more. Also Light needed to get stronger and more physical, or he'll never be better than a 4th OT, and I'm guessing he didn't.

Zack Johnson is not an OT, he's not athletic enough, plus he clearly had the worse pass protection of everyone in camp according to reporters on twitter, I'm surprised it was him that was let go, but with Turner practicing, they had four OTs, and they're seemingly trying to develop interior guys as Bak, Linsley and Taylor are in contract years, and if they want to or need to (say if they resign Taylor for cheap) they could release Turner or Wagner. Also there are just certain positions that rarely go from PS to important key player, and OT seems like one of them. Yes it's happened, but it.seems like other positions are more likely.

They probably kept hold of Light whilst they were assessing the injury situation for Wagner and Turner. Once they gathered enough information to allay their concerns then they obviously felt comfortable moving forward with letting Light go knowing they also have two project tackles to work with in Nijman and Johnson and to open up a PS spot for someone they wanted to bring in which turned out to be Mack for a position in desperate need of depth.

By the way Johnson is plenty athletic. Just watch some of the videos I posted further up this page, he looks a little lightweight but he moves around extremely well. His physical profile screams tackle, not guard. He only moved to guard in his senior year in college because they had another talented tackle on the team they wanted to incorporate to their offensive line. So being the good teammate he switched positions and I argue that by doing so and playing well in his new position showcased him in the eyes of scouts into an attractive versatile OL prospect, it's probably what helped landed him a UDFA contract when covid cancelled his pro day and threatened his shot in the NFL.

Stepaniak and Hanson are definitely interior guys, Runyan could still play tackle in the NFL but he does project best as a guard. That's 3 brand new interior players. Nijman is obviously an OT and it makes sense that the best way for Johnson to make the roster is to focus at OT as we do have a shortage of backups in this spot. We got rid of ALL the backup tackles, Light, Conway, Leglue, Bruffy, Madison, How could we not see Johnson as a tackle prospect after all these roster cuts. There's no doubt in my mind we see him as a versatile OL but who's main position is probably tackle despite his guard designation on the packers website.

Edited by Chili