Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   The Packers had OT Ryan Pope in for a tryout, a source said. The rookie was a highly sought-after rookie free agent (San Diego State) who signed with the Jaguars but spent most of camp on the reserve/COVID list and then was released on cutdown day.

The Packers were in on him last year... I was told when the Packers signed Nijman, he decided to to another team. He bounced around last year.

6 hours ago, deathstar said:

The same guy who decided with Gute that reporters can’t talk about who is running on what teams?

I would seriously begin to question LaFleur if he revealed that the opposing team didn’t have to spend time planning for Clark at the beginning of the week.

1) Gute said that was on him

2) Even if that was 100% on LaFleur, that clear doesn't qualify for the circumstances stated of other team knowing before the game. 

3) It doesn't change much, they have to plan to move the NT whomever it is. Just might change whom they double, but professionals should be able to make that change in game, and they should know if Clark is playing or not 30 mins before the game.

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Have to at least admire Gutey's consistency: "Hey we lost a starter, Lane Taylor for the season." Gute: "Let's bring in an UDFA OT no one else wants for a try-out." 

Well, you know, Lane Taylor was once a UDFA. At any rate, if he is signed, it's unlikely he'll be on the 53. Jake Hanson or Zach Johnson would likely be elevated from the PS.

As a lifelong Catholic, I'm all for bringing in Pope. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ryan-pope/e0K1PAmHsu

Run Blocking - Has the mass and power in his lower half to be effective but sloppy technique robs him of functional strength at the point of attack. Upper and lower body work independently. Lethargic firing off the ball. Pushes more than he drives anyone.

Pass Blocking - Tall pass sets and poor body control present challenges. Struggles to keep pace with speed up the arc on account of poor pass sets. Strike placement is tardy and inaccurate.

Blocking in Space - Looks like he has the mobility needed to execute but he appears confused in space. Takes angles that don’t lead to an identifiable target. Amazing how often he is in space, nowhere near the action without having touched a soul.

Power - Thickly built frame, engineered for playing offensive line in the NFL but poor leverage and sloppy technique robs him of power. Notable functional strength lacking in his upper body and core which becomes evident once he deploys his punch.

IQ - Tardy responses to twists and stunts. Might as well play with 10 on the field when he’s uncovered given his challenges finding work. Wanders in space, often without an identifiable plan. Heavily penalized.  

Feet - Pass sets are rigid and he labors to keep pace up the arc. Appears fluid and quick on the move until he’s tasked with making contact. Rarely generates power by accelerating his feet given how frequently he folds at the waste.

Hands - Punch is tardy and poorly placed. Fails to find surface area and set the clamps. Falls off contact and fails to sustain blocks at a high clip. Has terrific length that could be used as a weapon but he rarely plays with ideal extension.

Balance - Really struggles to maintain control of his frame. Chronic leaner and waste bender which leads to over-extension. Upper half works independently from his lower half. Posture and leverage are poor.

Versatility - Has played both left and right tackle for San Diego State. Has restrictions in both gap and zone run schemes. Has the traits to be a multifaceted blockers should he resolve glaring technical issues.

BEST TRAIT - Frame

WORST TRAIT - Body Control/Technique

RED FLAGS - 2017 - hand injury. 2016 - missed two games with a chest injury.

After spending two seasons in the JUCO ranks, Pope started for two seasons at San Diego State and earned Second-Team All-Conference Honors as a senior. While Pope certainly looks the part of an NFL offensive tackle, he doesn’t yet play like one. His body control, posture, weight distribution, mental processing and technique need major improvements for him to have a chance to stick at the next level. Pope is a developmental prospect in every sense that will likely get opportunity based on his frame.

Round Grade - UDFA

30 minutes ago, Chili said:

Not necessarily. We have an open PS spot.

If we were hoping to bring back Light in the wake of Taylor's injury then it's too late for that as he has been claimed off Arizona's PS to the Cowboys 53. No choice but to look elsewhere.

By the way I wonder why we haven't heard of any roster transactions from us yet. Other NFL teams have been pretty busy today.

I mean I'm definitely being a bit facetious. Not necessarily correlated, it's just funny. 

Also, glad Light is gone. Bringing him back is going backwards.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Winn hasn't played an NFL snap since 2016. That's the best bandaid we could find?

I’m assuming because he knows pettine scheme and has worked with pettine.

On the plus... if Clark was serious they would of IRed him given that IRs are only 3 weeks this season.

• Like 1

I've should've spotted the connection. Bad Chilli, Bad! Must do better!

When Pettine was Cleveland's head coach Winn played under him for one season. Then at the beginning of Pettine's final season he was traded away to the Colts for a conditional draft pick and he hasn't done anything of note since.

If Pettine deemed him not good enough then why does he think he can do the job now for us? I don't get it. He isn't much of a pass rusher so maybe he's hoping he will eventually be used to help plug our leaky run defence somehow.

I'm a little sad about Mack. His tape really did hint to his potential and having someone his size in the middle would've been real nice. He had a month of training camp with the Giants so his conditioning shouldn't have been an issue. I suspect he simply didn't look good enough. Other than Mack the only DL we brought in for a tryout was Javier Edwards, way back in August 17th. We need to turn over more stones.

It's strange the Packers haven't announced the Taylor move to IR yet. They announced the PS additions but not him.

Edited by Chili