Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Again, depends on how much.  Don't have a dog in this fight ... Jones has looked darn good out of the backfield.  Not sure how many rbs can bust one up the middle for 75 yds and a td and catch balls out of the backfield?  All I know is it's been damn fun to watch.      

Exactly!

If he wants Zeke money, he's gone. If he'll take $10/$11M a year, pay him.

Spot on about his burst, too. On the long TD, the OL blew up the line of scrimmage and gave him a 15Y run. He turned it into a 75Y TD run.

1 minute ago, Donzo said:

Exactly!

If he wants Zeke money, he's gone. If he'll take $10/$11M a year, pay him.

Spot on about his burst, too. On the long TD, the OL blew up the line of scrimmage and gave him a 15Y run. He turned it into a 75Y TD run.

I think he's eyeing the Kamara and Cook contracts ... might actually wind up making a little less than those two.  There's a lot of talk in this article about those two deals in particular.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2020/09/20/green-bay-packers-aaron-jones-shows-why-hes-worth-new-contract/5840591002/

• Like 1

There is a big gap between, "maybe with a hard limit below the top tier", and "PAY DA MAN!". Dalvin Cook is at 12.6, Alvin Kamara at 15. Jones is going to look at least in that 12-14 ballpark and that's just too rich for me.

Let's not forget that Jamal Williams and AJ Dillon looked great in their touches too. When the line is winning up front, the RB is going to shine. The Packers ate Detroit's defensive front alive.

I like Aaron Jones, he's a great back to have on a rookie contract. I'd pay him 8-10/year if that would do it. He does a lot of really nice things, but at top line RB numbers, it just doesn't work for me unless it's a near generational level talent.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

There is a big gap between, "maybe with a hard limit below the top tier", and "PAY DA MAN!". Dalvin Cook is at 12.6, Alvin Kamara at 15. Jones is going to look at least in that 12-14 ballpark and that's just too rich for me.

Let's not forget that Jamal Williams and AJ Dillon looked great in their touches too. When the line is winning up front, the RB is going to shine. The Packers ate Detroit's defensive front alive.

I like Aaron Jones, he's a great back to have on a rookie contract. I'd pay him 8-10/year if that would do it. He does a lot of really nice things, but at top line RB numbers, it just doesn't work for me unless it's a near generational level talent.

Kamara's cap number is 5 mil in '21, 14.5 in '22, and 14.0 in '23.  Cook's is 5.2 mil in '21, 12.0 in '22, ans 14.1 in '23.  It would be nice to have Jones on hand for around 5 mil next year.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, thrILL! said:

I wanna see Packers players on the bench rush over first and pretend to be the fans spilling beer all over the Packer player who did the leap. Greatest celebration ever. 

I want to see someone/Jones do the Lambeau Leap, his team get below him and the player does a trust fall into them.  That.  Would.  Be.  Epic.

On 9/19/2020 at 3:58 AM, Brit Pack said:

Not over the moon about him wanting to be the top paid tackle but it is understandable. In theory I would be okay with this if it is a three year extension to his current deal. He should be able to keep his play up till he is 32.

I think we paid Chad Clifton till he was 35 or so.  And despite being a little knicked up the last few years, he played at a high level.  I'm not opposed to keep paying Bakh just like we paid Cliffy.

11 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's just not a position worth investing in and the logic behind that has been demonstrated ad nausem. I agree I love having Jones on the team but investing that money elsewhere on the roster is still the smart move. Jones plays great, but he isn't a special talent.

This didn't age well.  He is a special talent.  And that doesn't take away from the thought that paying him top dollar is unwise.

Still don't think Jones is a special talent. 

He just happens to be the fastest running back on our roster.

Jamaal Williams was looking like Marshawn Lynch yesterday.

AJ Dillon was the most solo-impressive back.

It's Matt LaFleur.  Every single running back he's ever been on a staff with has had a career year with him.  We don't need to spend money at RB as long as LaFleur is our coach. 

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me is he very well could be one of our better WRs. With the lack of depth at WR we are playing a dangerous game of not paying Jones. If we had two great WRs plus average TE I would say let him walk but the talent on offense revolves around Rodgers, Adams, & Jones. No one is scared of MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, Stern, or WIlliams nor are they real capable of consistent great play. 

The run game may not miss a beat with Dillon but I fear that unless they find a consistent threat at WR or TE we are really losing a large part of what makes this offense so dynamic. At the team is currently constructed i'm not losing Jones. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spilltray said:

When one of your running backs, out of three, looks great and the others look average, it's the back.

When all three of your running backs look great, it's the o-line.

That being said, Jones is a special talent right now.  Of our three RB's, he's the only one that takes that 75 yarder to the house.  Dillon breaks one of the tackles from the safeties and is dragged down by the other after 20-25 yards.  J Williams is stopped at 15 yards as the safeties hit him at the same time.  Jones outquicks them all and it's to the house.

• Like 1