Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Still don't think Jones is a special talent. 

He just happens to be the fastest running back on our roster.

Jamaal Williams was looking like Marshawn Lynch yesterday.

AJ Dillon was the most solo-impressive back.

It's Matt LaFleur.  Every single running back he's ever been on a staff with has had a career year with him.  We don't need to spend money at RB as long as LaFleur is our coach. 

We know what typically happens when you pay RB's top dollar.  Been well documented.  

But what makes Jones special is that he's still improving and he is now a proven weapon when split out wide.  Dillon and Williams aren't splitting wide and making plays like Jones.  Cook isn't.  Montgomery isn't.  K. Johnson isn't.  In our division, that is what separates him...receiving.

Maybe a healthy Saquon can.  Kamara obviously can.  McCaffrey can and does.  Zeke doesn't.  I don't think that there are many that can match what Aaron Jones can do on the field when you factor in receiving.

He keeps making plays in the passing game and I'm going to change my tune towards paying him.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Still don't think Jones is a special talent. 

He just happens to be the fastest running back on our roster.

Jamaal Williams was looking like Marshawn Lynch yesterday.

AJ Dillon was the most solo-impressive back.

It's Matt LaFleur.  Every single running back he's ever been on a staff with has had a career year with him.  We don't need to spend money at RB as long as LaFleur is our coach. 

This is the hard part. It's tough to analyze because you see a guy get 240yds and 3 TDs (and look good doing it) and you assume he's a special talent.

Aaron Jones has some special parts to his game, BUT, that guy is in just about every draft and can be had for low capital. Obviously our team is worse without him in a vacuum, but it's likely our team is better with whatever price he'll be spent elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron Jones has some special parts to his game, BUT, that guy is in just about every draft and can be had for low capital.

Low capital- really?... So, every team must have multiple Aaron Jones type players then?!?

• Like 1

Just now, Donzo said:

Low capital- really?... So, every team must have multiple Aaron Jones type players then?!?

I agree ... it sounds good, but actually hitting on players like Jones that low in the draft is easier said than done.  I don't want to gamble on more Dexter Williams' when I know I already landed a stud in Jones.  Pay the man!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is the hard part. It's tough to analyze because you see a guy get 240yds and 3 TDs (and look good doing it) and you assume he's a special talent.

Aaron Jones has some special parts to his game, BUT, that guy is in just about every draft and can be had for low capital. Obviously our team is worse without him in a vacuum, but it's likely our team is better with whatever price he'll be spent elsewhere.

Uh, what?

Guess I feel like Jones has changed his body and his game since he was a rookie.  He wasn't like this early on.  It took time.

There aren't many RB's in the league that can do what he can right now, regardless of where they were taken.

I'll take Dillon, as an example, I think he's gonna be a very good one.  Different than Jones, not better, not worse.  Just different.

I don't feel like you get a RB ready to run and catch passes right away in every draft.  And honestly, I'm very surprised (in a good way) that Jones has added that receiving part to his game.

I know out o-line is great.  I know our scheme is very RB friendly.  But really, Jones takes it to another level with his all around skillset right now.  It all just works.

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Considering Jones is our RB#1 and WR#3 at the moment, it’s worth it for Gute to have a meaningful convo with his agent.  He’s a very good 3-down back, and none of us here have a real clear idea of his total value to the team.   I trust our FO to make the right call.

I keep seeing comments about him being WR2 or 3. I get it. It’s funny or whatever, but I’ve been relatively happy with Lazard and MVS so far to be honest. A couple less drops from MVS and we’d all be thrilled so far.

Edited by Arthur Penske

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

To illustrate something....remove Jones from our team right now.  Grab any other RB's in the league and tell me they would be at least equal to him.  Assume all are healthy.

I get McCaffrey as a no doubter.  I'm a big Barkley fan, and I think he could.  Kamara, no doubt.  And now I'm getting stuck.  Leveon Bell?  Maybe.  Gurley?  Maybe.  Henry?  No.  Whomever gets the ball in San Fran?  No.  Cook?  Nope.  Zeke?  Big yes in the run game, big no in the pass game.  Who am I missing?

I think it's a pretty short list of guys that can measure up to Jones.  He sticks with GB for 3-4 more years and he's gonna have some records.  He goes elsewhere and I have no doubt that his numbers take a hit without that line and scheme.  Right now it is a perfect marriage.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I keep seeing comments about him being WR2 or 3. I get it. It’s funny or whatever, but I’ve been relatively happy with Lazard and MVS so far to be honest. A couple less drops from MVS and we’d all be thrilled so far.

Forget the drops, I'm thrilled with this MVS.  He's showing a ton more confidence out there.  I think we are going to see a good 3-4 games this year when he goes nuclear on teams when it all comes together for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Forget the drops, I'm thrilled with this MVS.  He's showing a ton more confidence out there.  I think we are going to see a good 3-4 games this year when he goes nuclear on teams when it all comes together for him.

I don’t want to disregard the drops, he needs to eliminate those, but one of my favorite catches of his yesterday was a shallow cross where we just needed to move the sticks.  I’m not even sure if he was the first option, but the whole operation was in rhythm and he didn’t fight the ball.  If he keeps that part of his game up, the feast/famine long ball will be worth it. 

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't have a lot of tolerance for dropped passes, so that remains a major problem.  I do see that MVS has the physical skills to become a total mismatch out there if he can keep thing rolling and cut those drops down.  Speaking of drops .. what's up with Sternberger?  The only thing this guy can catch is Covid-19.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not going to forget them because they're important. But his play has been encouraging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Whats the unofficial/official or current word on Davante's hammy?

There isn't one to my knowledge. All comes down to the question, was it just tightness or a pull? The latter, we won't see him again until after the bye. Tightness, he probably has a shot to play this week. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1