Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

This scheme gives RB chances, but Jones does a damn good job making the most out of his chances...

It'd be nice if he had elite speed, and height, but that's basically all he's missing from battling McCaffrey, Kamara and Chubb for best RB in the NFL right now. 

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

This scheme gives RB chances, but Jones does a damn good job making the most out of his chances...

It'd be nice if he had elite speed, and height, but that's basically all he's missing from battling McCaffrey, Kamara and Chubb for best RB in the NFL right now. 

Chubb is the 2nd best RB on his own team

25 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Backups can have better yards per carry that starters, it's certainly not unheard of, doesn't mean the backup is better, as defenses usually play the pass more when the backup is in.

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

not every team runs a scheme that maximizes the skillset of Aaron Jones type players...

Why wouldn't you though when you see the results? Obviously us arm chair coaches and gm's don't see practices or anything but if you have a special talent why would a coach or team not utilize it? Is that not the name of this game. I get we may not sign him to a deal but the kid is the best RB on our team and one of the better ones in the league. He has vision, speed and his ability to catch the ball has become a great part of his game.

I'm not saying we should open the bank, but the Pack would be silly to think they can just get that type of play from just anyone at a low cost. If we pick a cheap option the player still has to hit.

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

I don’t want to disregard the drops, he needs to eliminate those, but one of my favorite catches of his yesterday was a shallow cross where we just needed to move the sticks.  I’m not even sure if he was the first option, but the whole operation was in rhythm and he didn’t fight the ball.  If he keeps that part of his game up, the feast/famine long ball will be worth it. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't have a lot of tolerance for dropped passes, so that remains a major problem.  I do see that MVS has the physical skills to become a total mismatch out there if he can keep thing rolling and cut those drops down.  Speaking of drops .. what's up with Sternberger?  The only thing this guy can catch is Covid-19.

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not going to forget them because they're important. But his play has been encouraging.

If I told you, 4 weeks ago, that MVS would have 7 catches on 13 targets for 160 yards and one TD through the first two games, you'd take it in an instant and not think twice.

We all want the drops to disappear.  But you cannot argue against what he's done so far this year.

1 hour ago, Beast said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Backups can have better yards per carry that starters, it's certainly not unheard of, doesn't mean the backup is better, as defenses usually play the pass more when the backup is in.

I am not speaking based on stats. I am speaking based on the fact that Hunt is a better player than Chubb

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Why is there more than one scheme in the league at all?

People have different ideas. There's really nothing more or less to it than that lol

Well scheme breaks it down a bit more. I would go with talent and there are really only 2 things an offense can do on a given play. Run it or pass it. A good team should cater to it's talent ala Lamar Jackson, no? I think the old Denver plug and play RB situation is slightly misleading is all and when you do get a tallented player you should try to keep him again money needs to hit value. It's an absolute crap shoot to believe we can just re draft it for a lower price. There are many teams that have not been able to draft a capable back as Jones. With that said Scheme may account for a portion of Jones's success but not all of it kid still has to hit the right hole, take the hit and make the play.

Just wanted to see your thought on that.

43 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am not speaking based on stats. I am speaking based on the fact that Hunt is a better player than Chubb

Chubb IMO is the best running back to come out in the past three years. You’re entitled to your opinion but the dude is one of the best backs in the league. You can put him out there in any situation and scheme and he would do it to a high level. Someone like Barkley may have more highlights but he is also a liability as a pass protector.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Chubb IMO is the best running back to come out in the past three years. You’re entitled to your opinion but the dude is one of the best backs in the league. You can put him out there in any situation and scheme and he would do it to a high level. Someone like Barkley may have more highlights but he is also a liability as a pass protector.

Chubb has been better as a player than Barkley, I won't argue that. I just think Hunt is better than both, like you said, my opinion. Even if Chubb is the best back to come out the last 3 years (he is, except maybe Josh Jacobs and hard to say on CEH great scheme fit there). 

I'm not really taking away from Chubb

You want an easy way to replace Aaron Jones' physical gifts? Draft Journey Brown out of Penn State in the 3rd or 4th round. If not and you want a later round pick, Pooka Williams out of Kansas is a damn fine RB prospect that'll get slept on because of the school attached to his name.

#DontPayRunningBacks

EDIT - I love Aaron Jones, btw, but there are better ways to spend your money. Running Backs are like 1B or corner OF in baseball. When they are great, they are great but they are easier replaceable than most other, if not all, positions.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1