Leader

Random Packer News & Notes

4 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

how we feeling bout preston smith and darnell savage's rough starts? 

Savage’s performance has me disappointed and perplexed.  Thought he’d bypass the sophomore slump and continue elevating his game.  Two games in, I’m not impressed.  But, it’s only two games in a year without pre-season, so there’s that.  P Smith looks a step slower this year - could also be lack of preseason.

5 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Very nervous.  I remember you and I discussed Preston quite a bit.  I said the one thing that worried me about signing Z and P in one offseason is that the long term hit rate on EDGE rushers suggests one or both of them will trail off into that contract.  Thankfully it doesn’t look like Z is doing that, but I’m very concerned about P.

As far as Savage, I am devastated and terrified.  I turned into a hardcore football fan exclusively because of ballhawking safeties.  It’s what I’ve wanted on the Packers ever since Collins got hurt.  Savage was supposed to be that guy.  So far, he’s not, but I’m hopeful he will be.

16 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

No issue... P/Smith is playing off the LS some which will change when Ramsey is back... Savage is still the same talent he flashed before he got hurt last year. He'll find his grove.

Just now, Donzo said:

No issue... P/Smith is playing off the LS some which will change when Ramsey is back... Savage is still the same talent he flashed before he got hurt last year. He'll find his grove.

You think theyre going to run 4 OLBs with any regularity?

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Must be why he lasted til the 5th round

You're such an asset here lol

You can deny, deflect & be abstinent all you like, but it doesn't change anything. Unless you're trying to state Jones is an average 5th round pick that can be had every year by every team?!?

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

I don't know what that means.

Means that McCarthy didn’t use Jones when he had him.

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You think theyre going to run 4 OLBs with any regularity?

Oh yeah, we'll see all four (Smiths, Gary & Ramsey) on the field at the same time.

Just now, Green19 said:

Means that McCarthy didn’t use Jones when he had him.

McCarthy loved Jones and used him as much as he could. Jones had availability issue his first two years with Mac.

2 minutes ago, Donzo said:

McCarthy loved Jones and used him as much as he could. Jones had availability issue his first two years with Mac.

Love is a strong word. I understand he had health issues. It’s also why I don’t mind not paying him if he can’t make it thru this season, if at all.

But it was a consistent criticism of McCarthy that he didn’t use Jones enough. He didn’t “love” him as you claim. Jones had a hard time making the field because of injuries or his lack of blitz pick up. Which look if McCarthy wanted to die on that hill... well he did.

There was still criticism that he needed to find ways to get him more involved because the talent was clearly there on a team that needed offensive talent.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Love is a strong word. I understand he had health issues. It’s also why I don’t mind not paying him if he can’t make it thru this season, if at all.

But it was a consistent criticism of McCarthy that he didn’t use Jones enough. He didn’t “love” him as you claim. Jones had a hard time making the field because of injuries or his lack of blitz pick up. Which look if McCarthy wanted to die on that hill... well he did.

There was still criticism that he needed to find ways to get him more involved because the talent was clearly there on a team that needed offensive talent.

No, love isn't too strong. Mac loved Jones game. But, he constantly got banged up his first two years. I think he even got suspended a couple games... You can acknowledge this, then ignore it all you want, but he just wasn't available a lot of the time for Mac... The "critics" were a lot like you. They just glossed over Jones constant minor knee problems.

And, there's Jamaal Williams. He's not as talented as Jones, but does a lot of solid things including being available his first two years. He deserved PT, too.

6 minutes ago, Donzo said:

No, love isn't too strong. Mac loved Jones game. But, he constantly got banged up his first two years. I think he even got suspended a couple games... You can acknowledge this, then ignore it all you want, but he just wasn't available a lot of the time for Mac... The "critics" were a lot like you. They just glossed over Jones constant minor knee problems.

And, there's Jamaal Williams. He's not as talented as Jones, but does a lot of solid things including being available his first two years. He deserved PT, too.

Missed 5 games in his first two years with injuries. And he missed 4 games based on suspension.

3 of those 5 injury missed games were at the end of the year when Green Bay had nothing to play for so why put him out there for punishment?

You can gloss over WHEN the missed games took place too.

And of course Williams deserves touches... seems to be doing just fine now between the two. McCarthy could of found ways... he didn’t. It was just one of the many things that got him fired.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

not every team runs a scheme that maximizes the skillset of Aaron Jones type players...

And that is what's making the last 2 games so fun to watch.  Skill set and players both combined to score 80 plus points and 1000 yards.  They finally have put it together hopefully ... be a shame to see it evaporate in a year.

8 hours ago, Beast said:

This scheme gives RB chances, but Jones does a damn good job making the most out of his chances...

It'd be nice if he had elite speed, and height, but that's basically all he's missing from battling McCaffrey, Kamara and Chubb for best RB in the NFL right now. 

Isn’t his split/explosion elite though?

So runningbacks around the league are dropping like flies.  Do we dangle Jamaal Wiliams to someone like the Giants for a 3rd or better?  I hate saying that because I love JWill, but no question we have a surplus in the backfield right now and can take advantage of the current climate in the league.