Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

2021 Cap Hit

Preston Smith - 16 Mil  Good player, but with Gary coming on the Packers have some flexibility.

Amos - 10 mil - He's pretty overpaid.  Solid player, but hardly a bargain

Turner - 8 mil - Overpaid.  We've got a few guys that are cheaper and probably on the same level

Kirksey - 8 mil - 8 mil is bit rich for that position in GB

Lowry - 6.3 - He's worth half of that.  

Wagner - 6.0 - Remains to be seen .. could go either way.

Some of these guys above won't be here next year.  Bahk, King, Jones, and Linsley are more important than a good number of the guys listed above.  I'd make a few cuts before I let those guys get away.

Turner is the clear cut of the group. If Runyan continues his progression and maybe even Wagner if they move Jenkins to RT.I think most of the defensive players stay... I think they let King walk (which I think will bite GB in the end).

Bak is the only one they will give great money too. Dillion was still drafted in the 2nd round... Jones is still likely gone.

Depending on what Linsley wants he is likely gone too with Patrick and Hanson on roster.

Everyone is worried about Jones but I think King has to be the one everyone worries about. Unless there are a ton of fans of the packers CB depth On this forum.

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Turner is the clear cut of the group. If Runyan continues his progression and maybe even Wagner if they move Jenkins to RT.I think most of the defensive players stay... I think they let King walk (which I think will bite GB in the end).

Bak is the only one they will give great money too. Dillion was still drafted in the 2nd round... Jones is still likely gone.

Depending on what Linsley wants he is likely gone too with Patrick and Hanson on roster.

Everyone is worried about Jones but I think King has to be the one everyone worries about. Unless there are a ton of fans of the packers CB depth On this forum.

I have a hard time seeing them doing massive cuts like some are suggesting, though next year is an unprecedented year of the cap going down, so maybe some odd things will happen. Or maybe just asking for price cuts...

I was surprised at the Turner and Lowry contracts when signed, I thought they might not make the end of them.

I think the Packers want to keep their strength inside and wouldn't want to lose Linsley, Turner and Wagner (and have Jenkins outside), so I think at least one of them will be back.

They have stated they want multiple RBs, not just one, and they have attempted to resign Jones as one of their priorities, so I believe they're trying to get Jones AND Dillion, not one or the other 

I'm extremely worried about the Packers CB depth even with King... I thought CB was the biggest need no one was talking about and a larger need than WR... but I'm not sure the Packers are a huge fan, or not enough to lock up huge amount of money... and some scheme that wants to run man coverage a majority of the time will probably through a huge amount King's way.

I'm expecting them to draft a CB in the top two selections of next year's draft. That might be nuts, but it's what I'm guessing.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I still disagree with letting Jones go .. I think they will ink him.  He's going to get Kamara/Cook money, and both of those guys have a 5 million dollar cap figure for next year.  Dump Lowry at 6.3 mil and plug Jones in there.  LaFleur is going to want Lightning and Thunder of Jones/Dillon going forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still disagree with letting Jones go .. I think they will ink him.  He's going to get Kamara/Cook money, and both of those guys have a 5 million dollar cap figure for next year.  Dump Lowry at 6.3 mil and plug Jones in there.  LaFleur is going to want Lightning and Thunder of Jones/Dillon going forward.

great to dump Lowry, now you need to find another DL starter to take those snaps

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

2021 Cap Hit

Preston Smith - 16 Mil  Good player, but with Gary coming on the Packers have some flexibility.

Amos - 10 mil - He's pretty overpaid.  Solid player, but hardly a bargain

Turner - 8 mil - Overpaid.  We've got a few guys that are cheaper and probably on the same level

Kirksey - 8 mil - 8 mil is bit rich for that position in GB

Lowry - 6.3 - He's worth half of that.  

Wagner - 6.0 - Remains to be seen .. could go either way.

Some of these guys above won't be here next year.  Bahk, King, Jones, and Linsley are more important than a good number of the guys listed above.  I'd make a few cuts before I let those guys get away.

First, you can't talk about being under/overpayed and then use the cap hit. For that you either use yearly cash flows (if you care about the money the owner pays in a given year) or per year average (that doesn't mean that you can argue who could get cut based on the cap you free up by cutting them).

The way I see it.
Wagner is a steal (5.5M/Y). An average guy who can start at RT can easily make 10M per year. If we take into account how Amos played in 2019 I believe he's being payed accordingly to that. And Kirksey averages 6.5M a year, which is about right I believe. Lowry is grossly overpayed.

If we re-sign 2 or 3 out of Bakhtiari/King/Jones I feel like well cut Lowry, Turner and maybe Preston (that would free up 14.85M in cap space). I believe that, along with some type of restructure in AR's or Kenny's contracts would make enough space for us to pay them.

We brought him in for a tryout on the 12th Sept. He's a big dude. 6'5" and probably close to his 260lbs college playing weight.  Didn't put up much of a nice stat line in college which suggests he was mainly used as a blocker. A quick look at his tape proved that to be the case. As a blocker he makes himself useful but he doesn't play with much power, it's all about angles with him. As a receiver he is extremely mediocre. He's clearly an emergency backup for Lewis. Nothing to be excited about. I'm more interested to see who we add to our two open roster spots.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

We brought him in for a tryout on the 12th Sept. He's a big dude. 6'5" and probably close to his 260lbs college playing weight.  Didn't put up much of a nice stat line in college which suggests he was mainly used as a blocker. A quick look at his tape proved that to be the case. As a blocker he makes himself useful but he doesn't play with much power, it's all about angles with him. As a receiver he is extremely mediocre. He's clearly an emergency backup for Lewis. Nothing to be excited about. I'm more interested to see who we add to our two open roster spots.

I was about to post this seems like an extremely odd week, in that every week we have read about them bringing people in, except this week, when we have two open spots on the 53 man roster and one on the PS.

But the one on the PS appears to be filled now.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I mean if this is the case Gute is doing some interesting things with roster building.

If you read the tea leaves it should say Jones and Linsley are gone. Dillion and Patrick/Hanson are the cheap younger option.

Only way I can see you paying Jones is if you go lighter on the oline and you justify his money by saying you have to make it work with a worse line. Turner or Wagner would need to get cut if not both.

Also let’s not act like the Jags didn’t cut Fournette and now have an udfa rookie basically giving them the same production at the position.

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

And you can do that. Doing jones too requires too much borrowing from the future, IMO.

cutting kirksey, lowry, and Turner gets you 13M, plus there's 11M in rollover from this year (or you use that now on these guys)

26M is more than enough for Jones and Bakh

If you need to, you restructure Z to get another 4M

Packers have kinda told people what they're doing and fans (including myself), have ignored them, and then the Packers do exactly what they said they were going to do, and we act surprised.

Gute said if there was a potential franchise QB he liked, he would grab them.

LaFleur said he wish they could of run more power last year, and now we got a guy that can run power.

Rodgers said they couldn't run no huddle because they didn't have the personnel, and we grabbed the TE which fits perfectly in the personal.

And LaFleur has said he wants muliple backs and different types of RBs to rotate and keep them fresh and have different types to attack with and have in case one gets injured...

So don't be surprised if they find a way to keep two top potential RBs around in some shape or form.

14 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

cutting kirksey, lowry, and Turner gets you 13M, plus there's 11M in rollover from this year (or you use that now on these guys)

26M is more than enough for Jones and Bakh

If you need to, you restructure Z to get another 4M

I'm not fully following where you are getting the numbers, but Bak reportedly wants a MINIMUM of $22 million per year... so $26 isn't close to covering both, unless you're only talking about one years Cap space, but Packers are short on future cap space as well, so backloading it doesn't really help that much either...

Also do you think they're going to release Kirksey after just picking him up?

And our DL is thin with Lowry, we better be getting some rookies there or we might be in trouble at DL.