Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not fully following where you are getting the numbers, but Bak reportedly wants a MINIMUM of $22 million per year... so $26 isn't close to covering both, unless you're only talking about one years Cap space, but Packers are short on future cap space as well, so backloading it doesn't really help that much either...

Also do you think they're going to release Kirksey after just picking him up?

And our DL is thin with Lowry, we better be getting some rookies there or we might be in trouble at DL.

Typical contract structure would be a large signing bonus and a low base salary in years 1-2 with a higher base salary in years 3+.  Same for Z, Rodges, Clark, Preston, et. al.

As an example, Z had a 4 year 66 mil deal, 16.5 average, with a year 1 cap hit of about 8 M, or 50% of the average.

Packers are not short on future cap space, you're making that up.  Most of their contracts expire in 2023 which is when you'd have to look at jaire, jenkins, etc.

They could release kirksey, not saying they will since they would need a starter at ILB, but his contract is structured such that he can be easily cut after this year with minimal cap hit and big savings if say he gets hurt again and/or if the rookie looks good as a starter.

Lowry is a terrible football player who should be released.

Edited by skibrett15

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Packers are not short on future cap space, you're making that up.  Most of their contracts expire in 2023 which is when you'd have to look at jaire, jenkins, etc.

No, the Packers are in the bottom 25% of availability cap space through 2022, and only slightly better in 2023...

I didn't make anything up, so you need to pull you head out of you *** and stop saying stupid ****...

If you actually knew what you were talking about you'd realize 2023 is 4 seasons away (we're barely into this one) and considering the short term nature of NFL contract, the entire NFL has most of their contracts expiring within four years every single freaking year... so your statement and a nothing burger.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Typical contract structure would be a large signing bonus and a low base salary in years 1-2 with a higher base salary in years 3+.  Same for Z, Rodges, Clark, Preston, et. al.

I know, you don't have to explain that... but you completele missed the point (well really you said it was made up BS, but that was a ******* lie)...

The Packers are in the bottom 25% of availability cap space for a number of years... so yes you can go light cap hit one year, but the bottom line is that sooner or later the backend larger amount will hit... even if you delay it, $22+ million per season average still adds up to the same amount, even if you backload it.

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everytime I see a long pass that was only possible because Williams went across Rodgers body to pick up a blitzer, I mourn his inevitable absence.

He's a hell of a blocker. Jones seems to have really picked up his blocking. If i remember correctly he had one really big blitz pick up on a long throw on Sunday. Both AJ and JW have become solid backs.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, the Packers are in the bottom 25% of availability cap space through 2022, and only slightly better in 2023...

I didn't make anything up, so you need to pull you head out of you *** and stop saying stupid ****...

If you actually knew what you were talking about you'd realize 2023 is 4 seasons away (we're barely into this one) and considering the short term nature of NFL contract, the entire NFL has most of their contracts expiring within four years every single freaking year... so your statement and a nothing burger.

I know, you don't have to explain that... but you completele missed the point (well really you said it was made up BS, but that was a ******* lie)...

The Packers are in the bottom 25% of availability cap space for a number of years... so yes you can go light cap hit one year, but the bottom line is that sooner or later the backend larger amount will hit... even if you delay it, $22+ million per season average still adds up to the same amount, even if you backload it.

bottom 25% of the NFL is fine; the QB and defense is locked up till then.  You were making it out like there literally isn't any space for contracts, except there is.  2023 is the logical time horizon for the players on this team as I said.  They absolutely have space to sign Jones and Bakh at the expense of possibly some guys like kirksey and linsley and lowry and turner.

The only players you would consider extending between now and 2023 are bakh, Jones (possibly gone), linsley (gone), Adams, and Kevin King (probably gone).  The entre defensive core is locked up outside of King.

For players like Bakh, the time horizon is probably similar to the QB.  Once the QB is gone it's time to get rid of the expensive OT.  Of the current core players on the Roster, only Jaire and Elgton Jenkins figure to out-live the QB, possibly also Rashan Gary if he blossoms.

As soon as they signed Rodgers to that contract, they were all in.  Yes, the bill will come due, but it's not coming due until Rodgers is on his way out.  Plenty of wiggle room between now and then.  Right now Packers are in a similar spot to the Cowboys with an aging Tony Romo.  That was in 2015, and the cowboys haven't slowed down or failed to retain a single key player during that time span.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everytime I see a long pass that was only possible because Williams went across Rodgers body to pick up a blitzer, I mourn his inevitable absence.

Jamaal Williams is basically "if Brandon Jackson were good at the running back parts of being a RB in addition to being good in pass pro" 

I went to the Bears game last year, and saw Williams jamming out to EVERY SONG when he was out on the field for special teams. He became among my fave current Packers that day. 

12 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

bottom 25% of the NFL is fine; the QB and defense is locked up till then.  You were making it out like there literally isn't any space for contracts, except there is.  2023 is the logical time horizon for the players on this team as I said.  They absolutely have space to sign Jones and Bakh at the expense of possibly some guys like kirksey and linsley and lowry and turner.

The only players you would consider extending between now and 2023 are bakh, Jones (possibly gone), linsley (gone), Adams, and Kevin King (probably gone).  The entre defensive core is locked up outside of King.

For players like Bakh, the time horizon is probably similar to the QB.  Once the QB is gone it's time to get rid of the expensive OT.  Of the current core players on the Roster, only Jaire and Elgton Jenkins figure to out-live the QB, possibly also Rashan Gary if he blossoms.

As soon as they signed Rodgers to that contract, they were all in.  Yes, the bill will come due, but it's not coming due until Rodgers is on his way out.  Plenty of wiggle room between now and then.  Right now Packers are in a similar spot to the Cowboys with an aging Tony Romo.  That was in 2015, and the cowboys haven't slowed down or failed to retain a single key player during that time span.

We’re probably going to have to extend Jaire by the end of next season. That won’t be too taxing though since that will get spread.

I know nobody likes talking about cut candidates, but we do have a few guys that we could move on from next year as well.  Looking at spotrac 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2021/

-Preston is solid but not a 16M player. We’d take 8 m hit next year but that really isn’t that bad, especially if Gary continues up

-Kirksey- Only has 2m guaranteed. 6m savings. Easy cut candidate if someone pops or we finally swing on a ILB in the draft

Lowry- 3 m dead next year, will be cut before 2022. (Billy Turner is kind of in the same boat).

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

We’re probably going to have to extend Jaire by the end of next season. That won’t be too taxing though since that will get spread.

I know nobody likes talking about cut candidates, but we do have a few guys that we could move on from next year as well.  Looking at spotrac 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2021/

-Preston is solid but not a 16M player. We’d take 8 m hit next year but that really isn’t that bad, especially if Gary continues up

-Kirksey- Only has 2m guaranteed. 6m savings. Easy cut candidate if someone pops or we finally swing on a ILB in the draft

Lowry- 3 m dead next year, will be cut before 2022. (Billy Turner is kind of in the same boat).

Kirksey makes no sense. Either you end up with a rookie or spending to replace. Lowry is in a similar spot, except he's played slightly worse. You aren't going to cut someone you don't feel good about the depth behind. King is right behind Bakhtiari in my priorities, and this is one of the reasons why.

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Yeah I'm sure they can let's all.the guys go, to sign a small handful, it's not like they need a team of 30 guys or anything...

Lots more FAs than some wan to admit... while some certainly won't cost as much, they ain't gonna be free.

Part of me is with you.  The logical part.  I saw where GB had a little money for next year, but not much.  I also saw the Saints as 81M over the cap.  I also saw the Chargers with like $121M under the cap, with 6 players under contract or something like that.  It's an odd looking year for sure.

But, there is a part of me that looks at what KC did this off-season, with no cap space.  Makes me wonder just how "real" the cap is.

There are a lot of ways to free up cash and keep your players.  Pretty much every guy on the roster who is making serious money can be re-structured.  Z is a prime example, as is Adams.

You do have the obvious cuts, like Turner and Lowry.

Then you have a tier of players that are "grey".  Like Preston.  If he's gonna drop so much, we can replace that.  If he is going to rush more?  Not as easy to replace, even with Gary starting to come on.

And cap wise, I don't think we really know what happens in 2022.  If the cap goes down in 2021, then skyrockets up in 2022, well, it becomes easier to structure contracts.  I'm unsure if there is an accurate projection out there for the 2022 cap.  But I'm sure Russ has a handle on that.  If GB wants to retain all the players, they could.  It's also likely that they like a lot of young players and have a succession plan in place for a few guys.  

I have just a little advice for you concerning the future cap.  Don't fret about it.  Enjoy your team while it is here.  That whole cap thing will figure itself out.