Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

In another episode of As the Roster Churns, Caleb Scott WR to the PS.

Vanderbilt proday:

6'2.1"/204 pounds

4.46 40-yard, 1.50 10-yard, 4.35 shuttle, 6.58 three-cone

13 bench reps, 37.0" vertical, 10"4" broad jump

Former Sea undrafted pick up

3 cone shows some quickness

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

In another episode of As the Roster Churns, Caleb Scott WR to the PS.

Vanderbilt proday:

6'2.1"/204 pounds

4.46 40-yard, 1.50 10-yard, 4.35 shuttle, 6.58 three-cone

13 bench reps, 37.0" vertical, 10"4" broad jump

Former Sea undrafted pick up

3 cone shows some quickness

Had to address that white WR quota. Gotta have one at all times. Jordy....Janis....TD Jesus... Caleb.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Haha I mean it probably is, but only a little bit.

And look that’s not to bash MM. I love the guy... he won a Super Bowl, but he seems to be at this point as someone that has his way of doing things... and that’s fine. I’m sure when I’m his age in my career, I’m going to be like that. “Me doing this has worked for the past 30 plus years, it’s going to work now too.”

I just think in a hyper competitive league, that’s how you get past by and figured out. But again some people are always pushing and creating (Bill, Andy, etc) others aren’t.

The part that struck me was the notion that the offense hit its nadir not with scheme, but by passing into tight windows that a healthy Aaron Rodgers could exploit at will, patiently moving around in a seven-second pocket behind a really solid offensive line.

We all saw it, loved it, and then it was gone.

Rodgers’ injures hurt. More hurtful were the opposing defenses that put a lid on the top, dared us to run, and knew our routes better than we did. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

I know the Packers wanted Love, blah blah blah anyways, but if you're upset about not taking the right impact rookie, the guy we missed wasn't a WR.....it was Winfield. He was in my top 5 too for picks for us Round 1. It was obvious this guy was going to be good. Could have him in there instead of Will Redmond...

22 hours ago, craig said:

https://theathletic.com/2098908/2020/09/30/nfl-week-3-power-rankings-chiefs-packers-seahawks/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

From same article, referring to Saints game only, not to all three:

That is really nice.  Not to blame, but qualitatively it seemed to me late in the MM era that so many completions were so difficult.  Difficult catches, difficult throws.  And that we just didn't seem to get as many easy completions as other teams so often seemed to get.  Too often something heroic required by either the receiver or Rodgers or both.  It's so fun to get a lot of easy ones.  

I don't have game film, so I don't know how much of that is the scheme versus Rodgers.  I know last year, and even late with MM, some posters suggested that it wasn't for lack of open guys; that instead Rodgers just wasn't seeing them or targeting them and was overlooking easier completions and ending up attempting more difficult ones.  And obviously there have been personnel issues at both WR and TE that worked against getting easy completions in recent years.  

But man, it sure is fun to now be seeing things coming together where there are a lot of relatively easy completions.  Where Rodgers is recognizing them, and where Rodgers is throwing with good accuracy to make them look easy.  (Obviously a lot of completions look easy when the QB throws it in the right spot; lots of plays that could look easy look lots harder if the QB throws it too high or too low or too fast....).  Having both backs be good at catching; now having three TE's (if I include DeGuara) who can run; and I think now having three WR who know the system and know Rodgers, that's got to make it a whole lot easier.  

I also saw on ESPN that Rodgers has been the most accurate on tight-window throws and he's making more of them than any QB not named Russell Wilson. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I also saw on ESPN that Rodgers has been the most accurate on tight-window throws and he's making more of them than any QB not named Russell Wilson. 

Wilson is throwing so well right now.  Will be interesting to see if he can continue that in colder weather outside of a domed stadium/not at home. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Smidgeon said:
On 9/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, JBURGE said:

Not sure if you've been watching the Cowboys at all this year, but this hasn't changed

Which is funny because it isn't his offense and he isn't calling plays down there.

He is not calling the plays, but an you confirm that it isn't his offense? Not accusing you, genuinely asking. I doubt MM would give up full offensive control. I'm sure he took some of Moore's ideas and added them his offense...

Another PS wideout.  Juwann Winfree.  6'1 210, doesn't really standout athletically.  Den 6th rounder from a year ago.

I find it interesting we're bringing so many WR in.  It's not out of character for GB but with the expanded PS, I would hope to look for some diamonds in the rough at DB and OL, also.

With an all world QB, you should be able to get some no name guys in at WR, get them in your system and let your guy elevate their game.  It worked for NE for a few years and is genius if you can spend your money elsewhere and not on a high priced receiver corps.  The trouble with AR, and not just rumored, is that it takes him longer to build trust with his receivers than most.  Maybe this year he'll let that go a bit and trust the system.  Of course we want talent at that position but if we can find guys who fit our prototype-big, sure handed, willing to do some dirty work- who might not be premium price, we could get some milage out of the group.  That idea may get tested soon if we take on too many more injuries there.

Edited by Refugee

5 hours ago, JBURGE said:

He is not calling the plays, but an you confirm that it isn't his offense? Not accusing you, genuinely asking. I doubt MM would give up full offensive control. I'm sure he took some of Moore's ideas and added them his offense...

Can't recall specifically, but I remember something along the line of M3 saying "the offense works, not going to break it".  I imagine he's got it on a leash and will take over/change it if it stalls, but to this point, I expect it's the OC's offense.