Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I've been keeping track of all the Packers tryouts since the NFL gave permission to allow them.

Since August 17th we have worked out 61 players! These tryouts resulted in 8 players landing a PS gig.

Robert Foster, De'Jon Harris, Billy Winn, Nakia Griffin-Stewart, Ryan Pope, Juwan Winfrey, Caleb Scott and Dominique Dafney.

I've noticed we brought in Winfrey and Dafney twice for tryouts before finally committing to give them a PS contract. Caleb Scott was a strange one as he was only with us for a week before we changed our minds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -    Preston Smith coverage snaps per PFF through 4 games:

2019: 45/242 (18.6%)
2020: 44/223 (19.7%)

This notion that Smith is just struggling because he's dropping into coverage so much is complete and total b/s.

Maybe they're freelancing less this year and subsequently losing contain?

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -    Preston Smith coverage snaps per PFF through 4 games:

2019: 45/242 (18.6%)
2020: 44/223 (19.7%)

This notion that Smith is just struggling because he's dropping into coverage so much is complete and total b/s.

It's not. You can't just look at the numbers. You have to look at the quality of his reps. He's gone from getting to rush on all of the pressure package reps to not getting to rush on like half of them. Those reps are where production comes from. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not. You can't just look at the numbers. You have to look at the quality of his reps. He's gone from getting to rush on all of the pressure package reps to not getting to rush on like half of them. Those reps are where production comes from. 

The post and stats provided are limited in scope and represent only the amount he's dropping in coverage - which appears to be about even this year to last. The inference is that if his "production" is down (presumed though not stated to be sacks and/or QB hits....) the point being made is that its not due to an increase in dropping into coverage. I dont spend much time at PFF - so I dont know if they measure or incorporate "quality" metrics into their considerations.

After cutting Caleb Scott, Packers sign another Vanderbilt WR to the PS- Kalija Lipscomb.  6'0 205, no impressive measurables except a 10'7 broad jump. Initially signed to KC this year, he did have solid production in college and even had some posters on this very site calling for him wen we were scrapping the dregs of the WR barrel after the draft.

We also moved PS center Jake Hanson to IR, which is interesting in that I didn't know you could do that.  Good way to let him redshirt and see if he can compete next year when C will be a question mark if they don't bring Linsley back. 

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

After cutting Caleb Scott, Packers sign another Vanderbilt WR to the PS- Kalija Lipscomb.  6'0 205, no impressive measurables except a 10'7 broad jump. Initially signed to KC this year, he did have solid production in college and even had some posters on this very site calling for him wen we were scrapping the dregs of the WR barrel after the draft.

We also moved PS center Jake Hanson to IR, which is interesting in that I didn't know you could do that.  Good way to let him redshirt and see if he can compete next year when C will be a question mark if they don't bring Linsley back. 

IR isn't all year anymore. It's probably a temporary injury and not shelving him for the year, if I had to guess.

• Like 1

Just now, Norm said:

IR isn't all year anymore. It's probably a temporary injury and not shelving him for the year, if I had to guess.

Definitely more flexible this year, so doesn't mean his season is through.  PS reps are still very valuable for a player in his position, I just don't know if I remember ever seeing a player go to IR from the practice squad, but I also don't see a rational reason why not.  With 16 spots, I figured they'd just keep him on if it was a short term injury, but kudos to Gute for leaving no stone unturned and keeping the churn for undiscovered gems going on our practice squad.  I hope he hits on one but doesn't fall too in love with the bargain bin and go tightwad Ted too early.  For every Sam Shields, there are a whole lot of LaDarius Gunters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Hub Arkush from 670 the score from chicago said today that the cap will be going down 20 million next year. He said it hasn't been announced yet, but that is what folks in the know are saying. How does that affect the pack I wonder?

If the 2021 projected cap is going down $20M from the 2020 amount, putting it around $178-180M.   GB would have around $3-5M in cap space.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

If the 2021 projected cap is going down $20M from the 2020 amount, putting it around $178-180M.   GB would have around $3-5M in cap space.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Wonder what they do with Bakhtiari and Jones. Sounds like negotiations stalled because of cap. Bakh at least made his displeasure known publicly. (Now I hate this last draft even more.)

Gute will need to earn his paycheck this year

9 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Wonder what they do with Bakhtiari and Jones. Sounds like negotiations stalled because of cap. Bakh at least made his displeasure known publicly. (Now I hate this last draft even more.)

Gute will need to earn his paycheck this year

Where did you hear that?

11 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Where did you hear that?

On Twitter where I saw a quote of Bakh who seemed to be venting frustration or leveraging his new deal.

I've finally concluded I want Bakh, Jones, and Williams back. I think Jones and Williams are more important than Davante moving forward. It will be interesting to see how Gute handles the Covid off season. They have more wriggle room than other teams. It can't be business as usual at 1265.

5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The elephant in the room right now is Jaire likely getting Ramsey money and Kevin King getting paid on top of that. Ton of money invested in your corners and I just don’t know if that’s what we’ll do. 

Jaire is a shut down corner. He is the most sure to get paid. After him, Savage and Gary if they reach their potential. We will have the money when they are due.

King is interesting. Don't know if they keep him (and not Gute's pick). The biggest question on D imo is Pettine. They have the players.

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Jaire is a shut down corner. He is the most sure to get paid. After him, Savage and Gary if they reach their potential. We will have the money when they are due.

King is interesting. Don't know if they keep him (and not Gute's pick). The biggest question on D imo is Pettine. They have the players.

You pretty much have to give Jaire whatever he wants if he continues playing like this. I don’t think that helps King’s chances at all and the better King plays the more he’s going to cost too. It’s just hard to imagine a scenario where you keep both.

Say you give Jaire a 5 year extension at 22million a year. How high are you then willing to go on King? 15? 18? That’s 40 million dollars before you even have a nickel 

Savage is a distant 3rd right now in the secondary as far as a pay day but the better he gets and the healthier he’s able to stay the more it’s going to complicate King’s situation and how much we’re shoving into the secondary as a whole moving forward. It’ll be interesting to see it play out. 

Edited by Rodjahs12