Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Jaire is a shut down corner. He is the most sure to get paid. After him, Savage and Gary if they reach their potential. We will have the money when they are due.

King is interesting. Don't know if they keep him (and not Gute's pick). The biggest question on D imo is Pettine. They have the players.

King has allowed a grand total of 8 more receiving yards than Jaire through 4 games. 

If Jaire is an absolutely must resign guy, King can't be far behind him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

On Twitter where I saw a quote of Bakh who seemed to be venting frustration or leveraging his new deal.

I've finally concluded I want Bakh, Jones, and Williams back. I think Jones and Williams are more important than Davante moving forward. It will be interesting to see how Gute handles the Covid off season. They have more wriggle room than other teams. It can't be business as usual at 1265.

How? There isn't a running back in the NFL more important than Davante. 

And the presence of Williams inherently lowes the importance of Jones. And vice versa. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How? There isn't a running back in the NFL more important than Davante. 

And the presence of Williams inherently lowes the importance of Jones. And vice versa. 

I get what you are saying and it's how I had viewed it, but I am just trying to approach this differently. They are obviously trying to resign Jones (and except the lower cap I think they would have already). Jones and Williams are worth more to this team and system than Davante, when cost is factored too. Also Jones and Williams are plus plus in the locker room. I think they let Adams walk after next year. Adams has outplayed his value to this team. He has more value for someone else. Next year they will draft his replacement. Keep in mind, they haven't lost a game when Adams was out this year and last, basically 7 games. Adams jokingly said they don't need him, but I think there is some truth there. 3 solid TEs, 3 solid RBs and 3 solid WRs could do it.

I could be reading it wrong. WR is just not the same as for MM. ARod and multiplicity is what matters. And I would far prefer saving the huge contracts for OL and defense.

Edited by JaireAlex

25 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I could be reading it wrong. WR is just not the same as for MM. ARod and multiplicity is what matters. And I would far prefer saving the huge contracts for OL and defense.

6-0 without Adams the past two years and the offense kept humming along.  He's obviously not integral to winning, but the Packers are downright scary with him in the lineup as long as Rodgers spreads the ball around and doesn't lock in on him too much.

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind the Packers taking a look if the Titans are basically looking to give him away for nothing. A conditional 7 probably gets it done. Correa was someone I had an eye on in FA. Had a big finish to last season (5 sacks overall) and he's a hybrid player that we are kind of missing after losing Fackrell. Would be a better No. 3 option at EDGE while using Z inside than what we currently have, and would probably be our ILB No. 2 at the moment. Cheap as well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

6-0 without Adams the past two years and the offense kept humming along.  He's obviously not integral to winning, but the Packers are downright scary with him in the lineup as long as Rodgers spreads the ball around and doesn't lock in on him too much.

Rodgers on the MacAfee show was asked about EQ coming back.  He said (paraphrased) "EQ has rust to knock off, but the guy I am excited about coming back is 17" with a big smile on his face.  

They can do things with Adams the others can't do.

The Steelers are a good example of how important the receiver position is in the NFL in terms of needing top talent.  They have allowed 3 or 4 number 1 or 2 quality receivers to go find a new team when those player were still on top of their game.  Top talent is welcome anywhere and I'm sure glad we have Adams, but simply not as important at WR as many other positions.  I wouldn't exactly say WR's are dime a dozen, but more so than many think.  Now GB has a top 5 QB, top 5 O-Line, and possibly a top 5 tandem of RB's.  That helps.

I will be surprised if GB does give Jones that 2nd contract, but it sure sounds like they are attempting to work it out.  I think re-signing Bak is a lock, King more important than Jones, Williams if not Jones, and if possible Linsley.   Cut Kirksey, maybe Turner and Lowry if it makes cap sense, and re-sign Bak, Williams, Linsley, King is the way I go.  That assuming the Jones money gets to be franchise kind of dough.  Which I expect it will.

12 minutes ago, 15412 said:

The Steelers are a good example of how important the receiver position is in the NFL in terms of needing top talent.  They have allowed 3 or 4 number 1 or 2 quality receivers to go find a new team when those player were still on top of their game.  Top talent is welcome anywhere and I'm sure glad we have Adams, but simply not as important at WR as many other positions.  I wouldn't exactly say WR's are dime a dozen, but more so than many think.  Now GB has a top 5 QB, top 5 O-Line, and possibly a top 5 tandem of RB's.  That helps.

Much like the early Ted Thompson Packers, though, the Steelers spend a Day 2 pick on a receiver almost every year (7 of the last 8 in fact). It is tough to make the case they aren’t investing in the position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deps said:

Much like the early Ted Thompson Packers, though, the Steelers spend a Day 2 pick on a receiver almost every year (7 of the last 8 in fact). It is tough to make the case they aren’t investing in the position.

It's easy to make the case they do not give 2nd or 3rd contracts to the position.  Investing value is not the same as investing long term money, two separate issues.

3 minutes ago, 15412 said:

The Steelers are a good example of how important the receiver position is in the NFL in terms of needing top talent.  .....

Steelers are the best at scouting and developing WR. When is the last time they took a 1st rounder? Also that offense needs top talent at WR to run.

The truth is the Steelers just try to treat their players right amd give them fare contracts. But no one can go out and show that WR is dime a dozen like Pittsburgh. They consistently make fare offers but are happy to let their weapons go. The one WR I wish we drafted now is Claypool. I am not a fan of the ND program but he seems different. I am jealous only now.

We can replace Adams with a second next year (and I heard they tried very hard to move up for a couple of receivers in the second this year). 4 TEs and 3 RBs are more important for this offense than a top 10 WR. They will still try to draft and develop a top ten WR. But the budget doesn't have Adams in it. Just my opinion. It's easier to replace a #1 or #2 WR than top OL, TE or a top RB.

I was very surprised they are going after Jones, initially. But I would love Jones and Williams back. They are in their prime and fully developed as 3 down backs. Low miles too.

The other cool thing about this offense is that drafting so many RBs, TEs, and WRs, we are going to hit more. TT drafted almost nothing at the skill positions for years and years, nothing at OL; they are actually drafting offense again.

If your plan is to keep all of Jaire King Jones and Bakh, Adams is probably an odd man out. Preston too. 

Jones is clearly the most polarizing player here as far as what he’s worth but for me it’s more about the length. If he’ll sign for 3 years, giving him 15 per is a lot easier for me. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

It's easy to make the case they do not give 2nd or 3rd contracts to the position.  Investing value is not the same as investing long term money, two separate issues.

I am just saying if you are going to take that strategy, then you need to invest in the position in other ways. There are maybe 3-4 Day 3 or UDFA receivers who turn out every year. Relying only on those avenues to fill the position is not a great long term strategy.

24 minutes ago, Deps said:

Wow. I didn't realize they drafted so heavily in recent years. I put them behind GB in the draft and development then. But they do not hesitate to give a second contract if the receiver is good. The Packers tend to pick players whom they will give a second contract to. Steelers are willing to take more risk.

8 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

I get what you are saying and it's how I had viewed it, but I am just trying to approach this differently. They are obviously trying to resign Jones (and except the lower cap I think they would have already). Jones and Williams are worth more to this team and system than Davante, when cost is factored too.

Why do people think this? Jones is the only one talking about them talking deal. I haven’t seen any other reports from insiders, etc stating this.

Not saying it’s not true but only Jones is talking about gettin a deal done. And I think it’s wishful thinking on his end.