Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

We still have two open 53 man roster spots and two open practice squad spots. It's been what? 3-4 weeks since we last filled them? I wonder what's taking so long?

We've just put CB Nickerson on IR and Gut hasn't called up anybody to replace him. When Lazard was put on IR it took him a while to make his moves but eventually he called up Shepherd and finally this week with EQ.

Kirkey the same, he was put on IR but didn't anything to replace him until now with Burgess. I still wonder why we gave up on Curtis Bolton just when he was so close to returning after we persevered with him throughout his time on IR and PUP.

Edit: I see Martin has finally been activated to the 53. That leaves one roster spot open. We now have 5 ILBS on the 53, that's way too many! something gotta give here. Maybe a trade involving Burks or Summers perhaps?

Edit 2: Ben Braden signed onto our PS just 3 days ago and was immediately promoted to the active roster. Billy Winn has also been promoted. This now means all our 53 man roster spots have now been filled. Our new LB Burgess is on some inactive list for the time being and technically doesn't count towards our 53 roster limit.

These roster moves leave us with 4 open practice squad spots. Our two game day PS promotion for this week is Black and Dexter Williams - the latter move clearly hints that Jones will not play this week.

Edited by Chili

On 10/17/2020 at 3:49 PM, Leader said:

A beat writer or WI sports journalist might get down into those weeds.....but not a large/national outfit like ESPN unless it was entirely about this potential transaction (which it wasnt).

The point was it annoys me when you get all these people saying trade for Player X he is easily worth a 6th round pick when the real cost of the trade is the cap hit. Any analysis of whether a trade is a good idea must cover the opportunity cost of the cap or its pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

The point was it annoys me when you get all these people saying trade for Player X he is easily worth a 6th round pick when the real cost of the trade is the cap hit. Any analysis of whether a trade is a good idea must cover the opportunity cost of the cap or its pointless.

I understood your point and you've answered yourself. It wasnt an in depth analysis - rather, a listing of potential trades covering multiple teams.

Matt Schneidman -   Jaire Alexander’s stat line vs. Texans:

Targets: 1
Passes defensed: 1
Catches allowed: 0

In the last five games, the 23-year-old has been targeted 17 times and allowed 10 catches for only 56 yards (5.6 YPC) and 31 yards after the catch (3.1 YAC/catch). PFF’s No. 1 CB.

Ben Fennell -   I've been so impressed with former TCUFootball & Packers 7th round pick Vernon Scott - playing lots of sub linebacker roles for Pettine Played a season high 13 snaps on defense vs HST. Thought he looked good tackling in space & fitting the run....and a similar role he was comfortable playing at TCU - often down in the box... Safety with good size/strength.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1