Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

I’ve been waiting for the AJD breakout game to show why we took him so high and to get fired up for winter football. So far, nothing but a long line of setbacks starting with the training camp and preseason. I’m still hopeful.

Here's hoping he does break out.  Plenty of highly talented college RBs don't translate to the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Here's hoping he does break out.  Plenty of highly talented college RBs don't translate to the NFL.

Definitely, and not all light it up in their first season but it is a position that can make immediate impact if the talent is there. Also one with a short shelf life so I hope we soon see what we’ve got there. With two entrenched starters who play their role well in more than just the run game, he wasn’t going to get much use early.  I had hoped he would have more snaps by now but plenty of things have derailed that including not being on the active roster the past few weeks. I still am excited by his potential but you’re right, college success does not count once you get to NFL. 

With how pedestrian our run game has been, I see no harm in giving carries to Dillon.  We've been utilizing Jones like's got an expiration date for touches.  Our line is not opening up those big holes anymore.  Add to that the fact that we come out after halftime flat and our defense is just so easy to complete easy passes on and I've now come to a conclusion.

This is not a championship level team.  Maybe we have enough players to really make a run.  We certainly do not have championship level coaches.  And I'm not sure Gute has it in him to get us over the hump.

I got way too worked up during the Colts game.  And I'm done with that.

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -  

MVS games 8-16 last season: five catches, 36 yards, no TDs
MVS games 8-10 this season: nine catches, 257 yards, three TDs

Amazing what happens when you throw the guy the ball. That number didn't even include his big 51 yard PI this week.

MVS running the skinny post in the slot is turning into our #1 Cover 2 buster. One of these days we're going to get it going in all aspects of that where we'll be hitting RBs for hole shots, Adams on the slants and MVS deep and we're going to score a bunch of points and it's going to be beautiful. 

• Like 3

Andrew Brandt / MMQB -   Packers stay on brand

Having sat in the chair of the Packers’ player contract negotiator for 10 years, I am keenly aware of the perception that the team is not aggressive enough in player acquisition and spending, failing to providing superstars like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers the necessary weapons to win more than one Super Bowl apiece. I have heard these complaints for more than 20 years, whether as Packers vice president or since. And when I am constantly asked why the Packers didn’t get this guy or that guy, my response is always the same: “What part of the Packers do you not understand?”

The Packers have never been a team that “goes for it” with sexy moves such as marquee free agents, moves that push down the depth chart younger players in whom the team has invested draft picks and coaching. Having lived it for a decade, the Packers’ way is clear: drafting, developing and retaining.

The “retaining” part was on full display last week with a mega contract extension for left tackle David Bakhtiari. It was textbook Packers, something I tried to do every year around this time. To me, there is no better use of existing cap room than an in-season extension for a core player heading to free agency. And the timing of mid-November was perfect. Waiting until December is too late; the agent side of me knows that the player might as well play out the season and see what is behind Door No. 2 in free agency.

As to the steep price tag for Bakhtiari—a four-year, $92 million extension—the Packers have the Texans to thank for that. Houston traded two first-round picks for left tackle Laremy Tunsil and did not secure a simultaneous contract extension at the time of the trade, giving Tunsil extraordinary leverage to negotiate a contract that was player-friendly in terms of both the $22 million per year average and the three-year deal, ensuring he’ll get another huge contract before he turns 30. Faced with that fresh data point, the Packers were stuck and paid an extra million per year (a $23 million average) to secure Bakhtiari for a year longer than the Texans got Tunsil. I am certain that the Packers were cursing the Texans under their breath throughout the negotiation.

The Bakhtiari extension is another example of the Packers’ being aggressive in player spending; the players they spend on just happen to be their own. I lived it for 10 years. On brand.

18 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rodgers seems to be backing MVS these days, and that can make all the difference.

Happy to see that from Rodgers, and frankly, outside of a few stares towards MVS, it seems like Rodgers has always supported his growth and potential.

I remember a game at Soldier Field against the Bears on a Sunday or Monday night about 7-8 years or so.  It was near the end of the game, Packers were driving down the field from behind one score.  Rodgers hit James Jones along the right sideline, he started upfield and had the ball stripped.  His fumble cost the Packers and they lost.  Rodgers never gave up on Jones, or Adams, or others in their development.  He gets a bad rap sometimes for ignoring certain receivers at times, but more often than not, he’s willing to spread the ball around plenty - even after major gaffes.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Packers tried again to sign Snacks .. this time from the Seahawks PS.  No Dice.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/24/report-packers-attempted-to-sign-dl-snacks-harrison-off-seahawks-practice-squad/

Unless he played DB for us he wouldn’t see the field on definite running downs anyway!

• Like 1