Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I can't wait to get Deguara back next year. I think he will end up as a huge asset for this offense. We got Dafney involved a bit vs Tennessee and we've used Sternberger a little in that role but Deguara was born for it and he's going to be so vital in this offense.

A lot of people are going to owe Gute a massive apology/eat crow in the long run on the 2020 draft. I got called a Packers homer/apologist for arguing for Love, Dillon and Deguara. Also took heat for defending Gary. Last laughs are always more fun.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I can't wait to get Deguara back next year. I think he will end up as a huge asset for this offense. We got Dafney involved a bit vs Tennessee and we've used Sternberger a little in that role but Deguara was born for it and he's going to be so vital in this offense.

A lot of people are going to owe Gute a massive apology/eat crow in the long run on the 2020 draft. I got called a Packers homer/apologist for arguing for Love, Dillon and Deguara. Also took heat for defending Gary. Last laughs are always more fun.

Dafney looks explosive. 

Wonder if Funchess if regretting his decision to opt out at this point? I know there have been some COVID scares around the league, but outside a few organizations blowing up like the Titans and Ravens for a few weeks, overall, it has been managed well enough. 

Presently, after Adams, Lazard and MVS are tied with 31 receptions at the WR position. I wonder where Funchess would have fallen in comparison with those guys? More than 31 receptions? Fewer? I still think he would have been a good piece in this offense and could have added at least something to the WR core, so it's too bad he didn't stick around. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wonder if Funchess if regretting his decision to opt out at this point? I know there have been some COVID scares around the league, but outside a few organizations blowing up like the Titans and Ravens for a few weeks, overall, it has been managed well enough. 

Presently, after Adams, Lazard and MVS are tied with 31 receptions at the WR position. I wonder where Funchess would have fallen in comparison with those guys? More than 31 receptions? Fewer? I still think he would have been a good piece in this offense and could have added at least something to the WR core, so it's too bad he didn't stick around. 

He opted out which was his call .. no problem with it.  That being said, could care less if he's on the team or not next year.  He doesn't cost much if I remember right, if he helps fine, if not, so what. 

I've got good news and bad news concerning Scantling.  Good news is that he has already surpassed his totals from last year.  Targets, receptions, yards, touchdowns.

Bad news in that he won't surpass his targets and receptions from his rookie year.  But, he's already surpassed rookie yardage and TD's.

Bad news in that he was targeted only once in the last two games. 

First ten games of the season, 5.1 targets a game.

Last three games, 3 targets a game and that includes a great game from him when he caught the "little" and "normal" stuff.  6 for 85.

Not sure what, if anything changed, but we could use another coming out party/game from a WR not named Adams.

I still feel like we lose a little something in the offense when we don't throw it deep to him a couple times a game.  Even if he drops it, or it is incomplete, it still tells the defense that we are looking there.

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The 2020 draft is still all about what happens with Jordan Love. People (fans, media, pundits) would have had zero problem with the optics of this draft if it had ended up something like: Claypool at 30, Dillon, Deguara, 4th round pick we gave up, Martin, etc...

Frankly, if Rodgers plays like this next year, he's untradeable in the short term. The guy is about to be the MVP of the league and there's no reason to believe he won't be the same player next year or the next few years now that he's fully submersed in LaFleur's offense. The timing of the Love pick was always the biggest puzzler to me (I thought it was at least a year too early), but looking back, if I had to guess, the Packers simply did not anticipate that Rodgers was going to return to his standard level of play (or even better) this season. 

Maybe, as we've speculated, the Love pick contributed to his rise in play, but personally, I think Rodgers being in the 2nd year of an offense not managed by Mike McCarthy is, by far, the biggest factor here. So if Rodgers plays this way next year, you're not trading him in 2022. Then if he plays close to this way again the next season, you're not trading him, in fact, you're a fool if you don't extend him for a few more years. By that point, the entire purpose of drafting Love is ruined because his rookie contract will be gone. 

For sure, it's a good problem to have if you're the Packers, but, looking at Rodgers' play this season, right now, who is more likely to be on the roster in 2023?  Rodgers or Love? I doubt both are by that point. This whole thing could flip to a discussion about trading Love in the next 2 seasons and then going QB in the draft again in a few years. 

Edited by packfanfb

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

One for the records book...........

Wes Hodkiewicz -    From Elias Sports Bureau, the Titans game was the first time the Packers did not have any penalties and did not punt in the same game since Elias began tracking penalties in 1941.

That’s a complete game right there. 

55 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bad news in that he was targeted only once in the last two games. 

He doesn’t seem to thrive in the cold which is bad news because hopefully our next three games will be in the elements.  

Good news, if we get to where we want to be, we’ll be back in his native habitat of FL where he can go wild. 

51 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The 2020 draft is still all about what happens with Jordan Love. People (fans, media, pundits) would have had zero problem with the optics of this draft if it had ended up something like: Claypool at 30, Dillon, Deguara, 4th round pick we gave up, Martin, etc...

Frankly, if Rodgers plays like this next year, he's untradeable in the short term. The guy is about to be the MVP of the league and there's no reason to believe he won't be the same player next year or the next few years now that he's fully submersed in LaFleur's offense. The timing of the Love pick was always the biggest puzzler to me (I thought it was at least a year too early), but looking back, if I had to guess, the Packers simply did not anticipate that Rodgers was going to return to his standard level of play (or even better) this season. 

Maybe, as we've speculated, the Love pick contributed to his rise in play, but personally, I think Rodgers being in the 2nd year of an offense not managed by Mike McCarthy is, by far, the biggest factor here. So if Rodgers plays this way next year, you're not trading him in 2022. Then if he plays close to this way again the next season, you're not trading him, in fact, you're a fool if you don't extend him for a few more years. By that point, the entire purpose of drafting Love is ruined because his rookie contract will be gone. 

For sure, it's a good problem to have if you're the Packers, but, looking at Rodgers' play this season, right now, who is more likely to be on the roster in 2023?  Rodgers or Love? I doubt both are by that point. This whole thing could flip to a discussion about trading Love in the next 2 seasons and then going QB in the draft again in a few years. 

I don't know.  I'm kind of salivating thinking that Love could be the #2 next year and have a few read option plays a game with Dillon in the backfield.  That could add just another wrinkle to our offense.

Just something fun to think about.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know.  I'm kind of salivating thinking that Love could be the #2 next year and have a few read option plays a game with Dillon in the backfield.  That could add just another wrinkle to our offense.

Just something fun to think about.

Maybe he'll be good at QB sneaks. Then I could get onboard, lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

He doesn’t seem to thrive in the cold which is bad news because hopefully our next three games will be in the elements.  

Good news, if we get to where we want to be, we’ll be back in his native habitat of FL where he can go wild. 

He certainly doesn't get targets in the cold.  But sooner or later, we are going to actually need him.  

In 2018, rookie season.  December games.  13 catches, 28 targets, 138 yards.  0 TDs.

2019.  December games.  3 catches, 11 targets, 25 yards.  0 TDs.

2020.  December games so far.  6 catches, 9 targets.  85 yards.  0 TD's.

He's due.  Overdue.  Or he hates Christmas.

Most of his work this December came in Detroit and he was great that game. I’m not saying he can’t play in the cold but he hasn’t shown his best work in the elements so far. 

He has actually proven to be a willing blocker and you have to honor the threat of him taking the top off so he spaces out the defense more than a Lazard or Tonyan, to be sure.

I just want to see him cash in on a few chunk plays but the sure handed shorter catches he made in Det had me even more excited.  

• Like 1