Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I've got good news and bad news concerning Scantling.  Good news is that he has already surpassed his totals from last year.  Targets, receptions, yards, touchdowns.

Bad news in that he won't surpass his targets and receptions from his rookie year.  But, he's already surpassed rookie yardage and TD's.

Bad news in that he was targeted only once in the last two games. 

First ten games of the season, 5.1 targets a game.

Last three games, 3 targets a game and that includes a great game from him when he caught the "little" and "normal" stuff.  6 for 85.

Not sure what, if anything changed, but we could use another coming out party/game from a WR not named Adams.

I still feel like we lose a little something in the offense when we don't throw it deep to him a couple times a game.  Even if he drops it, or it is incomplete, it still tells the defense that we are looking there.

It could be teams taking away the deep stuff since he burned defenders a lot earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I've got good news and bad news concerning Scantling.  Good news is that he has already surpassed his totals from last year.  Targets, receptions, yards, touchdowns.

Bad news in that he won't surpass his targets and receptions from his rookie year.  But, he's already surpassed rookie yardage and TD's.

Bad news in that he was targeted only once in the last two games. 

First ten games of the season, 5.1 targets a game.

Last three games, 3 targets a game and that includes a great game from him when he caught the "little" and "normal" stuff.  6 for 85.

Not sure what, if anything changed, but we could use another coming out party/game from a WR not named Adams.

I still feel like we lose a little something in the offense when we don't throw it deep to him a couple times a game.  Even if he drops it, or it is incomplete, it still tells the defense that we are looking there.

We scored 40 last week and would've scored 40+ had we run the ball two weeks ago.

There's no bad news with this offense.

If teams want to play 2 deep and take away deep shots, MVS isn't going to be targeted. We'll just run for 200 and Rodgers will find the RBs, Adams, Lazard and Tonyan underneath.

If teams want to take that away and our running game, MVS will get deep shots.

I'd prefer every target go to Adams, Jones or Tonyan. Not sure why we're still counting targets for our other WRs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Definitely an athlete. Deguara was born for that role though. 

Don’t forget Lovett was finding some work there, as well. Until the pendulum swings back, guys like that are undervalued so it’s good to take advantage of the market inefficiency. 
Next year we will see what Deguara brings but it’s good to have a couple capable guys at a position that does that kind if dirty work. 

Updated DVOA:

Last Week: Offense (2) Defense (18) Overall (4)

This Week: Offense (1) Defense (15) Overall (3)

Others in NFC:

NO: Offense (7) Defense (3) Overall (1)

TB: Offense (4) Defense (4) Overall (2)

SEA: Offense (6) Defense (16) Overall (6)

LAR: Offense (8) Defense (5) Overall (8)

Top 3 teams all in the NFC now.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I've got good news and bad news concerning Scantling.  ...Bad news in that he was targeted only once in the last two games....

I get the feeling he's totally a matchup chess piece.  Use him one game against a particular defensive scheme or CB group, but not against others. 

I'm OK with not using him every game... **if** that means there are safer vulnerabilities to attack.  Versus Tennessee, I felt like every time with three plays, we ought to be able to make the first down and keep the ball moving.  The risk with the deep MVS throw is that assuming it's not completed, it gives you only two shots to make the first down.   Higher risk of needing to turn it over via punt, sometimes, particularly against a vulnerable D like Titans.  

The nice thing is that we've got so many different ways to make progress and keep the ball moving, we haven't often needed to stretch it deep. 

But that may change against better teams and better defenses, who are better able to crowd the underneath, and who are more likely to be able to make us punt anyway? 

Other variable was that there was some report that MVS had perhaps hurt his leg in practice last week.  He still played 41 snaps, so it couldn't have been very bad; but perhaps they were just as happy to not have him stretching it max speed on a bomb?    

29 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

if preston continues playing at the level he did against TEN yall think he's still a goner after this year. probably his best ball of the season there  

I think it depends on what they feel there is there for depth. I would prefer we keep him another year for sure as we have zero depth behind Z and Gary if that is the case and we let Preston walk. I would let an offensive piece go before a defensive piece if it's a must. Our schedule next year is atrocious we need our D to be deep and strong. 

48 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

if preston continues playing at the level he did against TEN yall think he's still a goner after this year. probably his best ball of the season there  

I have a hard time imagining Preston isn't in Green Bay next year. He had Covid in late August and I strongly suspect it affected his conditioning coming into the year. 

The rumor is that he is/was unhappy with his role and how frequently he was dropping (he hasn't been doing zoom interviews as often because the media keeps asking him about it) leading at least partially to the referenced coaches meeting between LaFleur and Pettine about the strategy/aggressiveness of the defense. 

Z buying him that car, LaFleur going to bat for him, and Pettine changing up his pressure package looks, seems to have improved his attitude. Between that and playing himself into better shape, he's rounding into form at the right time. 

Never thought the loss of Kyler Fackrell would have been a problem with this locker room, but apparently it was lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

Out of 52 snaps: Preston Smith 45, Za’Darius Smith 35, Rashan Gary 30, Randy Ramsey 6

He definitely got some work Sunday night and made some plays. Also great to see Gary getting more and Z just a little less to keep him fresh. I like Rambo and Garvin as developmental guys, as well. We are stacked there. 

Having some developing talent and another draft, I guess I could see Preston getting cut but it would still be a sizable dead cap hit and seems more likely the following year. We don’t have anyone that does exactly what he does at that level and you saw the swat team come out which is what he is built for when he’s not getting home. 

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

I think Preston's future with us is directly tied to what the cap actually does.

I don't think it has a lot to do with his on field play anymore.  We know he is good.  We know that Gary is also an every down EDGE.

No doubt I feel like GB will want him.  It is whether or not they can afford a luxury like a third EDGE that gets paid big bucks.

W

On 12/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have a hard time imagining Preston isn't in Green Bay next year. He had Covid in late August and I strongly suspect it affected his conditioning coming into the year. 

The rumor is that he is/was unhappy with his role and how frequently he was dropping (he hasn't been doing zoom interviews as often because the media keeps asking him about it) leading at least partially to the referenced coaches meeting between LaFleur and Pettine about the strategy/aggressiveness of the defense. 

Z buying him that car, LaFleur going to bat for him, and Pettine changing up his pressure package looks, seems to have improved his attitude. Between that and playing himself into better shape, he's rounding into form at the right time. 

Never thought the loss of Kyler Fackrell would have been a problem with this locker room, but apparently it was lol.

Really? I never read that about him having covid.