Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

56 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Depends on what the cap is and how much those 3 could be signed for.

Preston gains $8M

Wagner gains $5.25M

Kirksey gains $6M

Turner gains $3.5M

Lowry gains $3.3M

If the cap stays flat, around 198 to 200, those cuts would get GB to around $23M.

Those cuts create some big holes.  3rd Edge, RT, RG, DL

I don't see the benefit in those transactions,  especially signing Jones

Especially Turner and Wagner are relatively cheap for their high level of production. 

Can see the argument to bounce Lowry and Kirksey.

Preston is a tricky one, he has come on in the last few weeks however next year he will be the 5th highest earner on the team not sure his play warrants that position. If you pose it do I prefer an elite centre over an average Edge, or our number 2 corner, then I might be tempted to say cut Preston and retain one of our better performing players.

7 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Do we have cap space to sign King, Jones, and Linsley if we cut Preston, Wagner, Turner, Kirksey and Lowry.

We can start Runyon and draft an OL, maybe let Williams walk as well. Gary can take over for Preston full time since his PFF grade is awful this year.

Draft RT, IDL, 3rd down back, hybrid for Ervin upgrade, CB, ILB, WR

We might.  I believe all the TV contracts expire after 2022, except ESPN which expires this year.  I believe the NFL negotiated into those contracts a kicker that would add additional revenue for the league from those contracts if the NFL expanded their season to add a 17th game.  So I would assume that instead of the $175 million floor as most have reported you will see that go up by about an 7% (1/17th).  The NFL also added 2 additional playoff games so again another small booster in TV revenue (lets assume 1-2%).  Then you have the new TV contract from the expiring ESPN contract.  So I'm cautiously optimistically that the NFL may be able to set the salary cap next year at between $190 to $200 million instead of $175 million because of these moves they just made to add additional TV revenue under the current contracts. 

While ratings are down somewhat this year, I think for most TV networks, what else do they have that deliveries the ratings that the NFL delivers on Sunday.  So I still think their will be a sizable jump in 2022 when the new contracts are signed. Plus, I believe most people will be vaccinated by next September, so the league will feel better about allowing people back into the stands generating more revenue.  Fortunately for the NFL this year, most of the big name quarterbacks have their teams in the playoffs this year.  A Brady-Rogers, Brady-Brees, or Rogers-Brees matchup is going to deliver ratings this January.  The NFL probably hopes for Dallas to win the NFC East as they also usually deliver ratings.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

I hope the team doesnt share your feeling yet. They have a job to do on Sunday and CHI will be bringing it.

Yup, our season is riding on this win. Going from 1 to 3 would be a huge disappointment. This is our best shot at a SB berth in years and it starts Sunday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would you cut an EDGE to keep a RB and center?

That is where I was at when I read the post.  

We play 3 edge guys a significant amount of snaps.  We did it with Smith-Smith-Fackrell, and we  do it with Smith-Smith-Gary.  We all see Gary improving.  We all agree that Preston is probably making a little too much for his production.  That said, how do we replace Preston Smith?  We either need a big jump from completely unproven guys, or a big investment from the draft.

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't know that I'd want to go on a camping trip with Russell Wilson but he doesn't seem like a jerk. 

I wouldn't do it because I despise Russel Wilson.  And after camping with him, I feel like I'd want him as a best friend.  Can't have that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I wouldn't do it because I despise Russel Wilson.  And after camping with him, I feel like I'd want him as a best friend.  Can't have that.

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't know that I'd want to go on a camping trip with Russell Wilson but he doesn't seem like a jerk. 

He’s not a jerk, but he comes off as a major dbag. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Do we have cap space to sign King, Jones, and Linsley if we cut Preston, Wagner, Turner, Kirksey and Lowry.

Cutting Turner?... Huh- 🤯

I'm sure he'd like it. He'd be looking a nice raise on the open market.

Are people not paying attention to him this year?!? He's not the overpaid FA RG that faded at the end of 2019... He's the teams best RT, RG & backup LT. And, has been one of the top rated RTs the entire season. That versatility is amazing- that's who Billy Turner is.

I'm thinkin' he's getting Aaron Rogered by some of y'all. Aaron throws two or three bad passes a game and he's vilified by entitled spoiled Packer fans. While guys like Mahomes & Wilson throw 8-12 bad passes a game and are worshiped by the same people throwing Rodgers under the bus... Turner has been excellent to great most of the season at RT. However, he's had the audacity to not be perfect. He's been beat a few times and thoroughly vilified for it, like Rodgers.

So, yeah, Turner ain't gettin' cut.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I agree he’s played better than last year from my very untrained eye. For the amount of versatility he has, combined with Jenkins’ unheard of versatility, he makes our line very deep and flexible. 

We’ve had some discussion on this in the OL thread but I could see Turner at RT making Wagner expendable.  The thing is Wagner, when healthy, can play pretty well at a premium position at a very modest contract.  I wouldn’t be upset if we retain him for his last year.

Best case scenario might be we have a regular preseason, everyone on the line stays healthy, Turner and our freshman and sophomore additions make a Wagner trade possible to a needy team with a decent return in draft capital. 

38 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Cutting Turner?... Huh- 🤯

I'm sure he'd like it. He'd be looking a nice raise on the open market.

Are people not paying attention to him this year?!? He's not the overpaid FA RG that faded at the end of 2019... He's the teams best RT, RG & backup LT. And, has been one of the top rated RTs the entire season. That versatility is amazing- that's who Billy Turner is.

I'm thinkin' he's getting Aaron Rogered by some of y'all. Aaron throws two or three bad passes a game and he's vilified by entitled spoiled Packer fans. While guys like Mahomes & Wilson throw 8-12 bad passes a game and are worshiped by the same people throwing Rodgers under the bus... Turner has been excellent to great most of the season at RT. However, he's had the audacity to not be perfect. He's been beat a few times and thoroughly vilified for it, like Rodgers.

So you’re telling me a young player who can play 2 positions pretty well (one being RT) and probably swing like 3 Oline positions in a pinch isn’t a bad contract to offload? And to make that cut to probably overpay for a center and RB?

• Like 1

Let’s all take a moment on this day to celebrate a truly historic game.  My father was on the 15 yard line on that infamous game winning drive.  By that time, he could no longer feel his feet, and to this day still has very poor circulation.  But he wouldn’t trade that experience for the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

He’s not a jerk, but he comes off as a major dbag. 

Don't get me wrong - I think he's too much of a try-hard. It's like he has to be the most inspirational, most Christian person EVER and I'm sitting here thinking "Russ, if you want to spend millions of dollars going to Europe and banging your hot wife, go ahead and do it. Nobody cares." 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

We’ve had some discussion on this in the OL thread but I could see Turner at RT making Wagner expendable.  The thing is Wagner, when healthy, can play pretty well at a premium position at a very modest contract.  I wouldn’t be upset if we retain him for his last year.

Realistically speaking, Wagner and Turner are probably playing for the same roster spot next year.  And given Wagner's injury history AND Turner's positional versatility, I don't see how Turner doesn't get the edge here.  He'll be on the roster in 2021.  Wagner I'm not sure will be a Packer.