Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I agree he’s played better than last year from my very untrained eye. For the amount of versatility he has, combined with Jenkins’ unheard of versatility, he makes our line very deep and flexible. 

Exactly... Patrick's versatility at OG/OC has helped, too. He hasn't played much center (his best position), but the Packers didn't have to add a center to the roster when Linsley was hurt because Patrick was the backup. Very beneficial to roster management.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

So you’re telling me a young player who can play 2 positions pretty well (one being RT) and probably swing like 3 Oline positions in a pinch isn’t a bad contract to offload? And to make that cut to probably overpay for a center and RB?

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes ya just have to go with crazy.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically speaking, Wagner and Turner are probably playing for the same roster spot next year.  And given Wagner's injury history AND Turner's positional versatility, I don't see how Turner doesn't get the edge here.  He'll be on the roster in 2021.  Wagner I'm not sure will be a Packer.

Not even sure it's likely that Wagner is gone barring a top 60 pick being spent at OT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically speaking, Wagner and Turner are probably playing for the same roster spot next year.  And given Wagner's injury history AND Turner's positional versatility, I don't see how Turner doesn't get the edge here.  He'll be on the roster in 2021.  Wagner I'm not sure will be a Packer.

I see it pretty much the same way but if Wagner continues to show he can play at a starting level in the playoffs, assuming he can come back, that might be a contract you can trade for something.

No need to get greedy but a lot of teams might be interested in a guy who can start at RT for 6mil. 

In the meantime we might have 4 guys that can play tackle going into the playoffs. Remember when we played AZ in the playoffs with a mash unit at OL?  This could be the exact opposite of that. 

Ian Rapoport -   Packers standout LT David Bakhtiari suffered a season-ending knee injury today in practice. The belief is that he tore his ACL. Just crushing.

The Packers have options to replace him, though it’s impossible to replace the All-Pro. Among the candidates: RT Billy Turner, versatile OL Elgton Jenkins, and OT Rick Wagner.

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

In the meantime we might have 4 guys that can play tackle going into the playoffs. Remember when we played AZ in the playoffs with a mash unit at OL?  This could be the exact opposite of that. 

As soon as I wrote this I thought, maybe I should wait til after the Bears game. Fuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh......

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

As soon as I wrote this I thought, maybe I should wait til after the Bears game. Fuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh......

I dont remember the OL situation of that game......but do recall we were down to Cobb and the Nobodies at WR - then Cobb went down with an injury.

12 hours ago, Donzo said:

Cutting Turner?... Huh- 🤯

I'm sure he'd like it. He'd be looking a nice raise on the open market.

Are people not paying attention to him this year?!? He's not the overpaid FA RG that faded at the end of 2019... He's the teams best RT, RG & backup LT. And, has been one of the top rated RTs the entire season. That versatility is amazing- that's who Billy Turner is.

I'm thinkin' he's getting Aaron Rogered by some of y'all. Aaron throws two or three bad passes a game and he's vilified by entitled spoiled Packer fans. While guys like Mahomes & Wilson throw 8-12 bad passes a game and are worshiped by the same people throwing Rodgers under the bus... Turner has been excellent to great most of the season at RT. However, he's had the audacity to not be perfect. He's been beat a few times and thoroughly vilified for it, like Rodgers.

So, yeah, Turner ain't gettin' cut.

I was probably Turner's most vocal detractor when the season started, but he stepped his game up and has been playing really well this season.

17 hours ago, Refugee said:

I see it pretty much the same way but if Wagner continues to show he can play at a starting level in the playoffs, assuming he can come back, that might be a contract you can trade for something.

No need to get greedy but a lot of teams might be interested in a guy who can start at RT for 6mil. 

With Bak's late season knee injury, both Turner and Wagner are roster locks for next year. And T becomes a much higher priority in the spring draft.

8 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I was probably Turner's most vocal detractor when the season started, but he stepped his game up and has been playing really well this season.

I was right there with you. He didn't live up to his contract in 2019. When the reports were coming in that Taylor was having an amazing camp this year, I was thinking Turner could get cut... Now- Damn, thank goodness we were wrong and he completely turned it around on multiple levels. And after yesterdays news, he's as crucial as any Packers not wearing #12.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

With Bak's late season knee injury, both Turner and Wagner are roster locks for next year. And T becomes a much higher priority in the spring draft.

Very likely. It stings to lose a cornerstone starter, in practice no less, but this is why you need quality depth and consistency on the Oline.  We will see if we can rise to the moment but if Wagner is practicing again that is a very good sign. 

A week bye would be very nice to get settled in but that side will be tested by every team we play starting Sunday so next man up better be ready. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Definitely changes the dynamic that's for sure.  Wagner probably returns in 2021 unless he plays absolutely horribly down the stretch.