Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Interesting to note the Packers worked out all three players on tryouts way back in August (Blair/Gaines), Sept (Wilborn).

We have worked out multitudes of players since then and quite a few of them landed PS gigs with us, and some even got to play in an NFL game or two. Yet we still went back to those players we passed on previously to be part of our off-season program. So not quite good enough to go on the practice squad yet I guess but they still see some potential there to work with.

Blair, unsurprisingly is another Gute big WR addition. He loves his tall receivers. Sounds like he is also a deep threat so he must have some speed too.

Its possible the Packers may see Gaines as someone who can fill in Greene's role as a big strong tackling safety/linebacker. I saw an article that suggested some NFL teams in the draft process were looking at him as a corner which implies he may have some coverage chops. Clearly we see him as a safety according to this tweet.

Wilborn is another S/LB type who played entered college as a LB and played safety in his final season. So clearly the Packers are looking at certain types of players to develop some depth behind Greene. 

Big enough to hit like a LB and athletic enough like a safety to cover TEs and slot receivers. Its very tough to find someone who has those traits. They also need to have a certain mentality, attitude and smarts to play this demanding role. We have tried and failed to fill that role over the past few years - Jones, Burks, Bolton. Greene was the best one we found but unfortunately he is very undersized taking on LB responsibilities which may have contributed to his consistent injuries. I still can't get over not drafting Deion Jones as he was perfect - we traded up for Spriggs instead.

Edited by Chili

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know where to put this, so I will put it here.

I want Marcedes Lewis to play for the Packers until he decides he wants to retire.  

12 has said he hopes to have him in his team as long as he keeps playing. Strong endorsement. 

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol Rodge is always wearing a beanie. His hair must be terrible at the moment. He said he was growing it out again but it's gotta be at that WTF stage of growth lol.

I saw him on the sideline helmet-less in Chicago last Sunday and his hair looked like hell even tho it appeared to be grown out.  lol

• Like 1