Random Packer News & Notes

Obvious restructures: Aaron Rodgers ($36.3 million), Z Smith ($21.5 million): leaders on both sides of the ball willingly adjusting their large paychecks for the good of the team

Obvious cuts: Lowry (paltry $3.3 million), Kirksey ($6million)

Potential restructure/cut: Crosby ($2.5-$4.5 million). Aging vet, average kicker, I ask him to restructure/pay cut or move on. Easily replaced production on much smaller salary. Preston Smith ($8-$16 million). Wagner has easily outplayed his contract and earned an extension if he wants to stay and help the team.

Potential restructure/extension: Davante ($17million cap hit)

If the top paid guys are willing to work w/ team on restructures to keep team together, this is easily manageable. We have $95+ million in cap hits to work with between: Rodgers, Adams, Z Smith, P Smith and Crosby. Goes up to $117 million if factoring in the cuts of Lowry and Kirksey and a potential extension/restructure of Wagner.

Keep in mind, these vets can see the depressed market across the board and likely understand it might be in their favor to work out a restructure of current contract with a motivated team than test that open market w/ teams low on cap (and cash from a year of empty stadiums).

Edited by incognito_man
24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   One scenario to get the Packers under the 2021 salary cap:

Tender - 5 ERFAs
Draft & Sign - 10 Picks
2nd Round Tender - Tonyan
Sign - 15 Practice Squad to Futures
Cut - Preston, Kirksey, Lowry, Wagner
Restructure - Rodgers, Bakh, Z Smith
Leaves around $350K left.

Imagine spending all this time being a "cap expert" and then using a 175m hard cap which any halfwit who shotguns beers in the Lambeau parking lot knows the NFLPA & NFL will never allow to happen.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Imagine spending all this time being a "cap expert" and then using a 175m hard cap which any halfwit who shotguns beers in the Lambeau parking lot knows the NFLPA & NFL will never allow to happen.

Yeah...its is what it is. I didnt pay it much attention. Just posted it for interest sake.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Holy ****.

We’re ****ed.

So is everybody else.  It's going to be a "redraft" of non-pro bowl talent.  The teams will keep their stars and keep their cheap, first contract players.  The rest will be redistributed and lose a lot of money.

8 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

So is everybody else.  It's going to be a "redraft" of non-pro bowl talent.  The teams will keep their stars and keep their cheap, first contract players.  The rest will be redistributed and lose a lot of money.

Wow. It will be like an expansion draft for teams with tons of cap room.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I use Facebook so I know when my liquor store gets deliveries of rare bourbon/beer.

Facebook is the worst. It's annoying like those chain emails used to be. It's literally the boomer of the internet.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Anything that helps me acquire the booze I want is a useful tool.

Very true. I had some delivered for the first time the other day. Kinda weird getting carded at the front door, and of course the neighbors had to be outside and staring, but that was about as convenient as it gets. 

• Like 2

I mean, there are reports coming in today saying otherwise:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1351569144894943235

It may change, but there's a real chance the cap is going to be below 190.

Edited by VonKarman
6 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

I mean, there are reports coming in today saying otherwise:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1351569144894943235

It may change, but there's a real chance the cap is going to be below 190.

This is the NFL trying to say "woe is me" so the NFLPA feel bad for them. They come out and say "Covid didn't hit us too bad financially" and the NFLPA will come back and say, well then let's increase the cap.

It's negotiation tactic. The good teams in the NFL are the ones up against the cap. It doesn't benefit the NFL to force teams to decrease the quality of their product, and it doesn't make sense for the NFLPA to want their guys to be paid less. It will get done and the cap will stay relatively flat.

Yep. Even if the "actual" cap drops, I really believe they would allow borrowing from the future or some other loophole to still access funds. There's no way the league is gonna be cool with the chaos from tons of players getting cut and the pa isn't gonna go for most players taking pay cuts.

• Like 1

They will come up with some scenario to borrow from the future. I just can't see the NFL cutting that much out. There will be a new TV deal. Obviously borrowing from the future kind of sucks too, but it at least allows room to function. It's clearly a better option that just crushing the majority of your franchises.