Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 1/21/2021 at 9:20 AM, mikemike778 said:

I like Tramon as a player and can see why Packers would want to bring him in. But is nobody bothered about from a sporting integrity point of view - same with Veldheer.

He played for Baltimore this season so his season should have ended when Bills eliminated the Ravens last weekend. He doesn't deserve a ring in 2020 and for me its wrong if he gets one. Surely it cheapens everything about being a super bowl champ if you can be beaten in the playoffs and just play for someone else next week. Are we going to see more of this ? Veterans being released early when they get knocked out so he can play for someone else next week ?  How long before a player plays for three teams in the play offs ?

If we lose at the weekend, lets say we decide to release Dean Lowrey and he signs for Tampa Bay and wins the superbowl. How would people feel about him being able to put on his resume that he is a superbowl champion in 2020 whilst the rest of the team drown their sorrows.

Nothing against Tramon - from a professional point of view, he is going to do the best for his career. But it all feels wrong and the NFL need to stop this. As a minimum players shouldn't be allowed to play in the playoffs for two different teams. I'm also uncomfortable about players who fail to make the play off then jumping onto another roster for a cheap shot at a ring.

I do agree what we've done is a little unethical even if it is just a 5th CB/backup LT. There really should be roster freezes in the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I do agree what we've done is a little unethical even if it is just a 5th CB/backup LT. There really should be roster freezes in the playoffs.

Nothing unethical about it.  Those were/are the rules and anybody who wants to utilize them .. good for them.  If they don't ... good for them.  A good GM will leave no stone unturned to get to the promised land!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Nothing unethical about it.  Those were/are the rules and anybody who wants to utilize them .. good for them.  If they don't ... good for them.  A good GM will leave no stone unturned to get to the promised land!

This is a complete whataboutism, but you'd feel differently if Tampa signed a nice player.

I'm not going to hate on Gutey for playing by the rules. I just think it is a bad precedent/rule

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

This is a complete whataboutism, but you'd feel differently if Tampa signed a nice player.

I'm not going to hate on Gutey for playing by the rules. I just think it is a bad precedent/rule

these players were subject to the waivers like literally every player released ever through any season at any point of time

why do people think something different is happening?!?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

these players were subject to the waivers like literally every player released ever through any season at any point of time

IF YOU START A SEASON WITH A TEAM YOU MUST END IT WITH THAT TEAM! CUT PRESEASON WEEK 2?? TOO BAD THATS YOUR SQUAD, RIDE OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I guess a lot of us don’t remember so much meaningful roster shuffling happening this late in the season before. (I mean, this is the week before the conference championship games.) Rison comes to mind, but even that was before post season play began.

If the league rules allow it I can’t get too worked up about it. I get the sentiment that it’s poor form and different from the rules other leagues have, but a sentiment is different from an objection. Some do seem to be objecting to the fact that the league hasn’t frozen rosters for the playoffs.

Your point is taken: If Derrick Henry is released in late January he wouldn’t make it past waivers with teams who aren’t playing now. That Mark Ingram and Tramon Williams made it through waivers just means the system works as designed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Your point is taken: If Derrick Henry is released in late January he wouldn’t make it past waivers with teams who aren’t playing now. That Mark Ingram and Tramon Williams made it through waivers just means the system works as designed.

Exactly.

The playoff teams are literally last in line to get these guys if anyone else wanted them. They're fringe roster players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I guess a lot of us don’t remember so much meaningful roster shuffling happening this late in the season before. (I mean, this is the week before the conference championship games.) Rison comes to mind, but even that was before post season play began.

If the league rules allow it I can’t get too worked up about it. I get the sentiment that it’s poor form and different from the rules other leagues have, but a sentiment is different from an objection. Some do seem to be objecting to the fact that the league hasn’t frozen rosters for the playoffs.

Is it meaningful or just names you know? I don't expect tramon to pass Chandon, probably Redmond. If you get beat up the first two weeks of the playoffs are you just supposed to eat that hit?

Derrick Henrys arent getting released though, it's old bottom of the rung vets. Fill in dudes. Veldheer was on the roster for two weeks, same with Tramon. Theyre filler, we just happen to know their names.

• Like 1

Not to anyone who posted but we have not done anything unethical at all. We are working well within the rules outlined. If we were lets say taking video or putting out bounties that could be an issue but this is not. Gute has done a fine job of tinkering with the bottom of the roster as the NFL has allowed for the season. BB has been lauded by many for doing stuff like this his entire career I'm both surprised and not surprised by the latest round of comments on this.

When TT sat on his hands many groaned now that Gute has his hands in motion many groan. Good for him looking to push the chips in within the rules. 

Regardless go pack

• Like 2