Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

these players were subject to the waivers like literally every player released ever through any season at any point of time

why do people think something different is happening?!?

something different WAS happening with veldheer.  With tramon, not so much

On the vet pickups, as with everybody I'm glad to see Gute working the system.  

I don't think it's a case of "this happens every year, this is nothing new."  Picking up guys during the season, sure.  But during the playoffs?  Or is my memory just lacking?  

• I don't recall picking up veteran guys during the playoffs, though?  
  • Has there ever before been players on two different playoff rosters during the same post-season, for any teams?  

For Tramon and Veldheer, were they both true roster players for their teams?  Or were they practice squad guys? 

I'm wondering whether perhaps the novel practice squad rules have factored?  Having practice squad players as Sunday actives is a new thing.  And having end-of-career guys like Tramon and Snacks on team practice squads is also a completely new thing.  

If I were the boss, I'd have a rule preventing a guy from being on two rosters during the same playoffs.  

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

these players were subject to the waivers like literally every player released ever through any season at any point of time

why do people think something different is happening?!?

The moves are being done during the playoffs and not the regular season. If it is the year of a deal, nobody other than playoff team is going to make a move.

Like I agree, these are fringe roster guys, but we've seen a third string TE mess up a season here. Marginal improvements matter.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Just heard on the radio Kenny King has a back issue that just popped up in practice 🥺

injured........again.  What is with this guy?  Well, its known now this guy has the durability of glass.  Hopefully it continues to drive down his market value for a possible resign.

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

injured........again.  What is with this guy?  Well, its known now this guy has the durability of glass.  Hopefully it continues to drive down his market value for a possible resign.

He sat out a Friday practice. If Kenny Clark got a papercut he would be sitting out Friday practice. Everybody needs to pump the brakes on this. At least wait and see if he plays in the game. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

To be clear , not having a go at Gute for working the rules. Its just wrong that Tramon Williams can claim to be a super bowl champion (if we win) when he has already lost in the playoffs. His season should be over with the Ravens. 

The rules need to be changed so a player can only play in the playoffs for one team.

16 hours ago, St Vince said:

Just heard on the radio Kenny King has a back issue that just popped up in practice 🥺

If he doesn't play in this game it just cemented the "no way" would I resign him in free agency.  Availability is a big deal ... Again, if he doesn't play.  If he does then I'm retracting what I just stated and sign him to a reasonable deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

To be clear , not having a go at Gute for working the rules. Its just wrong that Tramon Williams can claim to be a super bowl champion (if we win) when he has already lost in the playoffs. His season should be over with the Ravens. 

The rules need to be changed so a player can only play in the playoffs for one team.

Why?

There are very specific, 11+ year old rules  about the signing of Free Agents in the playoffs. You  can only sign a total of 4. You can sign as many as you want (up to 4) off another team's Practice Squad.

In the case of Veldheer, each team this year gets 2 gameday call ups per game where guys on the Practice Squad can play in games, they then immediately go back down to the Practice Squad. Veldheer was one of the Colts gameday call ups in the wildcard round. When the Colts lost to the Bills, he reverted back to the Practice Squad where the Packers signed him. 

In the case of Tramon, he asked for his release from the Ravens. Seeing as he was an unrestricted free agent at the end of the league year, and the Ravens didn't have any more games, they had no reason not to release him. they don't appear to have any plans to resign him and it looks the same on their books. Upon their cutting of him, he then went through the waiver process. Nobody put in a claim other than the Packers. Why would they unless it was to help out a friendly coach still in the playoffs to deny him to us? Again, he's a free agent in 3 weeks.

The only thing unique about Tramon is that the Ravens "know" he's going to retire next year, and therefore they won't lose anything on the comp pick formula for releasing him rather than letting him walk. 

The Bills, Chiefs, and Bucs didn't put in claims either, and all but the Chiefs could have in order to deny him to us. Nobody has any use for Tramon. Unless a DB already knows your system, he's not really going to be usable in the first week he's on your team. Nothing in the case of Tramon would have been any different in a non-Covid year. 

The Colts keeping Veldheer on their practice squad opened him up to poaching. The Ravens doing Tramon a favor is what opened him up to the waiver wire. 

+++

In order for a Tramon signing to happen you need a perfect storm of:

Player has previously played with that coach/team and knows the playbook

Player has more than 3+ accrued seasons such that no claiming team would have RFA rights

Player will be retiring next year or who's contract will be so low that it won't warrant consideration in the comp pick formula

Player has to convince his old team to release him.

Player has to make it through waivers, typically including teams that the team he will be signing for will be playing against. So the opposing teams have to determine that the waived player is worth less to them than their 53rd/55th man on the gameday roster.

Good players aren't making it through all of those hurdles.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Any particular reason why you think the rule needs to be changed?  It seems like a big "meh" to me.  What is the point of denying a player on waivers the ability to sign with a playoff team?  What's next?  A player who is waived after week 14 can't be signed if he was on a roster for a team in the playoff hunt?

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

....There are very specific, 11+ year old rules  about the signing of Free Agents in the playoffs. You  can only sign a total of 4. You can sign as many as you want (up to 4) off another team's Practice Squad.

In the case of Veldheer, each team this year gets 2 gameday call ups per game where guys on the Practice Squad can play in games, they then immediately go back down to the Practice Squad. Veldheer was one of the Colts gameday call ups in the wildcard round. When the Colts lost to the Bills, he reverted back to the Practice Squad where the Packers signed him....

Veldheer is the novelty because of the unique Covid practice squad rules.  PS pickups don't require the waiver bit, correct?  So a PS guy can sign with any team he chooses, that actually wants him?  

As noted, Tramon was a unique perfect storm under long-standing rules.  With Veldheer too, how often does an old vet who was on one team recently, enough to know their systems and to be trusted with minimal practice, lose on a different playoff team and become available?  

I hadn't realized those rules have been around that long.  That most of us had never thought about them or seen them used in any significant way, reflects there is no need to add new rules to prevent.  My mind is corrected!  :)  

It's not likely to be much of a deal this round, either.  King will probably be fine; Pettine will probably play Redmond anyway.  Unlikely that Tramon or Veldheer play a snap.

I would say sign Clay just so he can get another ring and get one play in the Super Bowl, but we’re not going there anyway.

I feel like Tramon signing with us is bad luck.  He lost.  So did Jared.  I’ve never heard of bandwagon players before.  Thanks, covid.

Andy Herman -   Need some big jumps from some second year players, and a strong draft class, but still think at worst GB's roster looks something like this:

Rodgers
Dillon
Deguara
Adams - MVS - Lazard - Tonyan
Bakhtiari (eventually) - Runyan - Jenkins - Patrick - Turner

Z, Clark, Keke, Gary Barnes, Martin Jaire, rookie or free agent, Sullivan Amos (I think), Savage

Going to need depth, and guys like Deguara, Dillon, MVS, Runyan, Keke, Barnes, Martin, Gary and Savage to take jumps or continue to grow. But there will be legit talent on this team.