Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, Leader said:

?

No.

TPA took a timeout to set the last play up.
GB had a timeout they could have taken once TPA got into position and they realized they had the wrong defensive play called.....they didnt.

Snap....touchdown....halftime.

Why are you arguing with me, I conceded.  I remember GB taking a defensive TO that drive, but it was right before the 4th down play, not right before the TD. 

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Or... MVS could have dropped a perfectly thrown ball to move into Bostic's neighborhood of Packers playoff lore. 

A possibility.....true....but...by all accounts MVS acquitted himself well against Tampa.

If I were to find fault with Kruze's comment it would be found in the first paragraph:

Rams and Bucs did a commendable job taking away Davante Adams in the two postseason games. 18 catches and 2 TDs, but averaged only 7.4 per catch, 5.3 per target and only had one catch over 20 yards. Lazard and MVS stepped up.

I'm not so sure that holding Davante to 18 catches and 2 TDs was necessarily "a commendable job taking him away"

The latter portion dealing with yardage levels supports that thesis much better - so it's kind of a mixed message IMO.  But - I dont view these things hyper-critically. It's just an interesting comment/opinion. One of many. 

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Why are you arguing with me, I conceded.  I remember GB taking a defensive TO that drive, but it was right before the 4th down play, not right before the TD. 

Actually I'm not arguing with you at all.

And yes.....correct:  "GB (took) a defensive TO that drive, but it was right before the 4th down play, not right before the TD.

3rd & 4 at GB 45

(0:18 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to C.Brate [P.Smith].

(0:13 - 2nd) Timeout #2 by TB at 00:13.

(0:13 - 2nd) Timeout #2 by GB at 00:13.

4th & 4 at GB 45

(0:13 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to L.Fournette to GB 39 for 6 yards (K.Barnes; C.Kirksey).

(0:06 - 2nd) Timeout #3 by TB at 00:08.

1st & 10 at GB 39

(0:01 - 2nd) Scotty Miller Pass From Tom Brady for 39 Yrds R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-Z.Triner, Holder-B.Pinion.

The thrust of my comments (and all the commentary about how GB screwed up the end of the first half) - doesnt deal with the fact they took a time out after the third down play. 

No.  It was that they didnt call their last timeout before the last play of the half - when they were in single high Safety. That's when they should have burned that last timeout. Said hold your horses here....lets change the defensive scheme.

They didnt

Snap

Touchdown

Halftime

And a whole bunch of folks going "WTF just happened there?"

59 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I was kidding

Interesting that he wouldn't directly commit to Love as Rodgers replacement.

I guess my perspective all along has been:  we've had UDFAs and washed up players as QB2s forever.  It lost us 2 seasons when Rodgers broke collarbones.  A talented QB with the potential to be something is worth it.  But like Rodgers said, there are no guarantees in this business.  I suspect Gute and M4 won't commit to Love until and unless Rodgers is done and Love has shown the ability to overcome his current correctible flaws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Interesting that he wouldn't directly commit to Love as Rodgers replacement.

Because he knows there's a decent chance Love will never play a regular season snap with the Packers. This is all pretty easy to decipher given how the 2020 season went. The Packers, and specifically Gute, felt that Rodgers may have been on the decline after his seasons in 2018 and 2019. That's why Love was on the radar. Had Rodgers' 2020 season happened in 2019, Love isn't even a consideration. 

So Love has gone from "replacement" to, in Gute's words just now, just a "prospect," as part of the plan to get away from this narrative that Love was drafted with the idea of trading Rodgers in a few years. If Rodgers continues to play at the 2020 level, he's not going anywhere. It'll be Love who gets dealt and then the Packers will revisit drafting a QB in a few years. 

This is precisely why most people complained about the pick in the first place, not because it was Jordan Love, but because of the "timing" of taking a QB in 2020 with Rodgers only 37 years old. It only made sense if Gute guessed right and Rodgers continued to decline or continued to play same level as the past few years. But that didn't happen. Now, the tables could turn in favor of dealing Love because it would be idiotic to keep Love on the bench for 4-5 years and waste his entire rookie deal. You made that pick knowing Love would need to be the guy, at worst by year 3 or 4 in his deal, and Rodgers' 2020 season just put a big dent in that plan. 

We'll see how 2021 goes, but if Rodgers balls out again, I'll predict Jordan Love never starts a game for the Packers (absent injury to 12 while Love is still here). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Because he knows there's a decent chance Love will never play a regular season snap with the Packers. This is all pretty easy to decipher given how the 2020 season went. The Packers, and specifically Gute, felt that Rodgers may have been on the decline after his seasons in 2018 and 2019. That's why Love was on the radar. Had Rodgers' 2020 season happened in 2019, Love isn't even a consideration. 

So Love has gone from "replacement" to, in Gute's words just now, just a "prospect," as part of the plan to get away from this narrative that Love was drafted with the idea of trading Rodgers in a few years. If Rodgers continues to play at the 2020 level, he's not going anywhere. It'll be Love who gets dealt and then the Packers will revisit drafting a QB in a few years. 

This is precisely why most people complained about the pick in the first place, not because it was Jordan Love, but because of the "timing" of taking a QB in 2020 with Rodgers only 37 years old. It only made sense if Gute guessed right and Rodgers continued to decline or continued to play same level as the past few years. But that didn't happen. Now, the tables could turn in favor of dealing Love because it would be idiotic to keep Love on the bench for 4-5 years and waste his entire rookie deal. You made that pick knowing Love would need to be the guy, at worst by year 3 or 4 in his deal, and Rodgers' 2020 season just put a big dent in that plan. 

We'll see how 2021 goes, but if Rodgers balls out again, I'll predict Jordan Love never starts a game for the Packers (absent injury to 12 while Love is still here). 

Eh, well see. I bet Gutey will get a nice DP for Rodgers before it's all said and done.

The reason he didn't directly commit is simply optics and politics.

He's not going to say he is the heir apparent whilst MVP Rodgers in still in the building.

He can't say Rodgers will definitely remain as our QB in one sentence and in the next say Love will definitely replace him. He simply can't do that. He has to strike a careful balance with what he says.

So he has to be politically correct by verbally committing to Rodgers (it would be career suicide if he didn't) and at the same time say they will continue with their investment to develop Love. That's all he can really say at this point in time.

It does not mean he made a mistake drafting him. He just being careful with his words, that's all.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

Has Tom Brady’s continued success in this league at age 43 changed the way organizations look at the relevance and longevity of elite QB’s?

Could Gute and company be looking further down the road with AR at the helm than we here expect?

I’ve no clue if there will be a Brady Effect relative to Rodgers and the Packers, but I won’t be surprised if Gute changes course and sticks with Rodgers longer than we originally expected - especially if Rodgers continues playing at an elite level.

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Has Tom Brady’s continued success in this league at age 43 changed the way organizations look at the relevance and longevity of elite QB’s?

Could Gute and company be looking further down the road with AR at the helm than we here expect?

I’ve no clue if there will be a Brady Effect relative to Rodgers and the Packers, but I won’t be surprised if Gute changes course and sticks with Rodgers longer than we originally expected - especially if Rodgers continues playing at an elite level.

Tom Brady in this last game wasn't very good.  His team picked him up and carried him with numerous Packer errors/mistakes contributing.  He won the game as their qb but didn't win it because of his overall performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, probably so.  When Gute drafted Love he probably wasn't 100 percent that the Rodgers/LaFleur marriage was going to work.  Aaron hadn't fully bought in and had a few less than stellar seasons in a row at age 34/35/36.  Now that Rodgers seemingly bought in and became MVP caliber again there probably is a change in how they view things.  If the whole point of this is to win Super Bowls then having an MVP level QB gives you an advantage over nearly every team in the league.  It's just up to LaFleur and Rodgers to bring their A games to the big games.   

• Like 1