Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Has Tom Brady’s continued success in this league at age 43 changed the way organizations look at the relevance and longevity of elite QB’s?

Could Gute and company be looking further down the road with AR at the helm than we here expect?

I’ve no clue if there will be a Brady Effect relative to Rodgers and the Packers, but I won’t be surprised if Gute changes course and sticks with Rodgers longer than we originally expected - especially if Rodgers continues playing at an elite level.

Maybe. But they also watched brees play. Brady is an anomaly. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Maybe. But they also watched brees play. Brady is an anomaly. 

No doubt, Brees physical decline was fairly noticeable.  Brady has regressed also, but not necessarily in ways that hurt his team(s).  If anything, Brady has illuminated the possibility of elongated careers for aging HOF QB’s when provided the talent around him.

Physically speaking, Rodgers is trending more like Brady and less like Brees.  That could mean a lot, or nothing, but I think it means something.

5 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Tom Brady in this last game wasn't very good.  His team picked him up and carried him with numerous Packer errors/mistakes contributing.  He won the game as their qb but didn't win it because of his overall performance.

I agree.

His mistakes weren’t costly to TB because GB couldn’t capitalize.

That being said, Brady - like Rodgers - can still sling the ball downfield (which Brees and Big Ben struggled to do).

The key with aged HOF QB’s is their experience - especially post-season.  The slight slip in physical ability is overcome by their brains, confidence, and leadership.  This is the Brady Effect.

Edited by Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

No doubt, Brees physical decline was fairly noticeable.  Brady has regressed also, but not necessarily in ways that hurt his team(s).  If anything, Brady has illuminated the possibility of elongated careers for aging HOF QB’s when provided the talent around him.

Physically speaking, Rodgers is trending more like Brady and less like Brees.  That could mean a lot, or nothing, but I think it means something.

Drew Brees also had pretty extensive right shoulder surgery in Jan of 2006.   Labral repair and rotator cuff repair.  His arm strength held up pretty well for 10+ years.   It is not shocking that it declined in the last few years.   

Brady has not had that type of major UE injury/surgery.....Rodgers has his clavicle fracture, so how that holds up for 8+ years is anyones guess at this time

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Drew Brees also had pretty extensive right shoulder surgery in Jan of 2006.   Labral repair and rotator cuff repair.  His arm strength held up pretty well for 10+ years.   It is not shocking that it declined in the last few years.   

Brady has not had that type of major UE injury/surgery.....Rodgers has his clavicle fracture, so how that holds up for 8+ years is anyones guess at this time

Indeed, and it’s anyone’s guess if the effects of Rodger’s clavicle will show suddenly one day and there will be a significant and immediate drop off, OR, if it will just slowly present itself over time, which is more manageable.  My guess is the ladder.

If it is a slow regression and AR can continue performing at an elite level, the Packers may choose to ride the AR train a lot longer than we anticipate.  Or not.  Brady, while somewhat of an anomaly on several fronts, at least keeps the door open for Rodger’s prolonged career with GB.

Two things that change this possible outcome are of course if Rodgers either declines steeply or experiences new injuries, and if Love ascends to a high level of play in the next year or two.

Decent take on what is happening with the Rodgers/Love saga. 2021 is the pivotal year, but the Packers may not be able to wait even that long before making a decision with Rodgers' contract. If they seriously want to compete for a championship in 2021, they probably need to restructure/extend Rodgers now. That move in itself would establish a pretty firm commitment to 12 for the next 2-3 years at a minimum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Decent take on what is happening with the Rodgers/Love saga. 2021 is the pivotal year, but the Packers may not be able to wait even that long before making a decision with Rodgers' contract. If they seriously want to compete for a championship in 2021, they probably need to restructure/extend Rodgers now. That move in itself would establish a pretty firm commitment to 12 for the next 2-3 years at a minimum. 

Or just creates a bigger dead cap hit to move on, which I've alludes to before, shouldn't be something we're afraid of.

I agree packfanfb. Every writer seem to think somehow, perhaps through osmosis,  they know better than a professional football coach who is 28 - 8 (historic numbers)  in his first 36 games as a head coach. I get frustrated at times by some of MLF's play calls - but that is true of any play-caller and goes with the territory. Ultimately, you look to the outcomes.

This team was a couple of plays away from being in the Super Bowl. Examples include - Adams TD drop, two plays later Rodgers passing on a wide-open Lazard at the goal line (instead throwing late to Adams two feet out of the end zone,  Redmond dropping an interception that my my 5th grade granddaughter would have caught, regardless of the defense called King letting Miller get behind him for a 4th down TD with no time left in the half, Rogers missing a wide open MVS, ESB dropping a two point conversion throw that was right in his hands, Rodgers trying to force the ball to Adams instead of taking a wide open Lazard...

None of the above are on MLF, and taking the play-calling away from him is at least as likely to set the team back as it is to move the team over the top IMO

I've got an idea, Dougherty should concentrate on writing (something he is quite good at) and let LaFleur run his football team (something he seems outstanding at). 

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Why in the hell would anyone want MLF to give up play-calling? I thought this was a dumb question in the first place and now we're doubling down with a full article? 

Packersnews has been very critical of LaFleur in the past few days. Tom Silverstein said in one article we should blame LaFleur for the botched call just before half time. Now we see Dougherty chime in saying LaFleur should give up play calling.

The media is ruthless lol. 😄