Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

With the hiring of Joe Barry, the Packers are now limited to the following needs to win a Super Bowl in 2021:

1. Reduce Aaron's 2021 cap hit by converting almost all of it to a signing bonus and whatever it takes to get his cap hit to 19.25 million against the cap (175 cap limit), 19.8 million (180 cap limit), or 20.35 (185 cap limit).
-There is zero single solitary humanly possible way we win a Super Bowl if this step isn't realized.

2. Get a significant second year leap from Dillon and Deguara.  MVS needs to become a legitimate #2 receiver.  Lazard needs to become a plus #3 receiver.  Tonyan needs to continue to improve.  Bakhtiari needs to stay healthy.  Runyan or that other guy need to be an average center.
-No help is coming offensively. 

3. We have to hit on our first and second round picks as far as immediate, at least average contribution.  Those two picks need to be no other combination other than: Defense, defense.  Defense, OT. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

With the hiring of Joe Barry, the Packers are now limited to the following needs to win a Super Bowl in 2021:

1. Reduce Aaron's 2021 cap hit by converting almost all of it to a signing bonus and whatever it takes to get his cap hit to 19.25 million against the cap (175 cap limit), 19.8 million (180 cap limit), or 20.35 (185 cap limit).
-There is zero single solitary humanly possible way we win a Super Bowl if this step isn't realized.

2. Get a significant second year leap from Dillon and Deguara.  MVS needs to become a legitimate #2 receiver.  Lazard needs to become a plus #3 receiver.  Tonyan needs to continue to improve.  Bakhtiari needs to stay healthy.  Runyan or that other guy need to be an average center.
-No help is coming offensively. 

3. We have to hit on our first and second round picks as far as immediate, at least average contribution.  Those two picks need to be no other combination other than: Defense, defense.  Defense, OT. 

#1 Isn't financially possible. Even if Aaron decided he wanted to write the organization a check back, the league likely wouldn't honor the request. And Aaron wants guarantees. Best you'll probably see is his cap around 27, and 31 is far more likely

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

#1 Isn't financially possible. Even if Aaron decided he wanted to write the organization a check back, the league likely wouldn't honor the request. And Aaron wants guarantees. Best you'll probably see is his cap around 27, and 31 is far more likely

Why wouldn't the NFL sign off on converting his base salary to a signing bonus?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why wouldn't the NFL sign off on converting his base salary to a signing bonus?

Between his current signing bonus, his restructure hit from previous, and what looks like UTBE incentives from last year, his cap hit in guaranteed money is already 15.25ish. That money is locked in.

He's then got 7.3 million in roster and workout bonuses and 15 million in salary. Even if you extend him a year and then restructure 21 million over four years, he still has his 1.3 in minimum salary, and then 5.25 in pro rated signing bonus money. 

All told probably the lowest you could get him if you emptied every bullet in the gun is like 21.5 ish. 

Andy Herman -   Maybe this was pointed out somewhere before, but I'm just realizing this now. The Packers last 7 playoff loses came at the hands of a team they lost to in the regular season:

2020 - Tampa Bay
2019 - SF
2016 - Atlanta
2015 - Arizona
2014 - Seattle
2013 - SF
2012 - SF

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Maybe this was pointed out somewhere before, but I'm just realizing this now. The Packers last 7 playoff loses came at the hands of a team they lost to in the regular season:

2020 - Tampa Bay
2019 - SF
2016 - Atlanta
2015 - Arizona
2014 - Seattle
2013 - SF
2012 - SF

MM and MLF are great at adjusting the 2nd time around.

This was reason #27 why I didnt want to play Tampa in the playoffs. Bad matchups are bad matchups.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

MM and MLF are great at adjusting the 2nd time around. This was reason #27 why I didnt want to play Tampa in the playoffs. Bad matchups are bad matchups.

SF handled us twice last year. Wasnt close either time.

2016 - we had no secondary that game and I believe Burnett went down during it. ATL was kicking *** on offense that year and we had Gunter following Julio. We had no shot. 

(Take comfort: if we'd have beaten ATL we wouldnt have witnessed the greatest SB melt down of all time)

2015 - Sam Shields had this victory in his hands - and failed both times to hang on to the INT. Shades of Redmond's failure a few weeks ago - only Redmond's was uncontested. At least I can cut Shields some slack - his misses were on bang/bang plays. In any case, if Shields had come thru either time - we beat them in regulation and move on to the SB.

2014 - Bostick snags that onsides kick, we're in the SB. Nuf sed.

2013/2012 - I dont remember anymore which was the *** kicking by Kaepernick - but - Hyde had that victory in his hands - but - the INT went right thru his hands and SF went to the SB.

Point being - we've been "right there" more than a few times - and it didnt break our way.

Edited by Leader

46 minutes ago, Leader said:

SF handled us twice last year. Wasnt close either time.

2016 - we had no secondary that game and I believe Burnett went down during it. ATL was kicking *** on offense that year and we had Gunter following Julio. We had no shot. 

(Take comfort: if we'd have beaten ATL we wouldnt have witnessed the greatest SB melt down of all time)

2015 - Sam Shields had this victory in his hands - and failed both times to hang on to the INT. Shades of Redmond's failure a few weeks ago - only Redmond's was uncontested. At least I can cut Shields some slack - his misses were on bang/bang plays. In any case, if Shields had come thru either time - we beat them in regulation and move on to the SB.

2014 - Bostick snags that onsides kick, we're in the SB. Nuf sed.

2013/2012 - I dont remember anymore which was the *** kicking by Kaepernick - but - Hyde had that victory in his hands - but - the INT went right thru his hands and SF went to the SB.

Point being - we've been "right there" more than a few times - and it didnt break our way.

Just hanging on to onside kicks and INT’s and we’re playing in 3 more Super Bowls. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

2015 we also would have had to go to Carolina with Janis and Abbrederis as our only healthy WRs, if we pulled that game out.  Was it a gut punch the way it ended? Yeah.  When you let the Fitzgerald play digest, did we miss out on much more than an asskicking the next week? Nope.  In fact, the 2015 Packers got beat soundly by 3/4 of the Championship game teams that season.  

Michael Silver -    Three words for the Green Bay Packers heading into the offseason: Go Get Everybody.

• Jim Owczarski -   This idea interests me on several levels, largely because 28-6 & two championship game trips doesn’t really signal “failure” to me. But I understand losing twice in those title games could have some feeling like a tear-down of sorts is required.

Context matters.