Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who would you suggest using it on?

I don’t have any suggestions. I just find it hard to accept that we can’t at least keep Linsley who I would prefer to keep over Jones 10/10 times. I get letting Jones go but not a fan of allowing  an All-Pro OL walk out the door.  

I disconnected a bit after the loss to the Bucs just to give myself a break.  so maybe explain to me the salary cap situation as it pertains to the Packers.  

9 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

So Gute is really about to let Aaron Jones and Linsley walk?

Yes, and it is probably they are probably the right moves.

-Jones- Tough cap year and you don't pay big money to RBs

-Linsely- Is going to be 30 at the start of the season. 30 for IOL is close to the end of the line. Lang/Sitton are 33/34 RN and have both been out of football 2 years. Mike Wahle retired at 32. Rivera played until like 34, only 2 years not on GB... History says there is a 50% chance he is out of football in 2 years, probably 95% chance he's out in 4.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

I don’t have any suggestions. I just find it hard to accept that we can’t at least keep Linsley who I would prefer to keep over Jones 10/10 times. I get letting Jones go but not a fan of allowing  an All-Pro OL walk out the door.  

I disconnected a bit after the loss to the Bucs just to give myself a break.  so maybe explain to me the salary cap situation as it pertains to the Packers.  

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

-Linsely- Is going to be 30 at the start of the season. 30 for IOL is close to the end of the line. Lang/Sitton are 33/34 RN and have both been out of football 2 years. Mike Wahle retired at 32. Rivera played until like 34, only 2 years not on GB... History says there is a 50% chance he is out of football in 2 years, probably 95% chance he's out in 4.

Okay thanks that really makes sense. If you take emotion out of it and look at the numbers, giving Linsley a 3-4 year contract is risky. 

i knew Jones was going to be gone since he blew up last season. We were never going to pay him what he deserves. 

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Out of the 3 big money guys (Jones, Linsley, Watt) they can likely only sign 1. Of the 3, I think Watt has the most potential for additional impact. You lose Jones you can replace him with Dillon. Different type of player but a stud nonetheless. You lose Linsley you can replace him with Jenkins and don't miss a thing. You sign Watt and he replaces Dean Lowry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Out of the 3 big money guys (Jones, Linsley, Watt) they can likely only sign 1. Of the 3, I think Watt has the most potential for additional impact. You lose Jones you can replace him with Dillon. Different type of player but a stud nonetheless. You lose Linsley you can replace him with Jenkins and don't miss a thing. You sign Watt and he replaces Dean Lowry.

sooooo who are you replacing Jenkins with? You'll definitely be missing a thing without Linsley.

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

sooooo who are you replacing Jenkins with? You'll definitely be missing a thing without Linsley.

I think that's why we drafted three o-linemen last year. See who progresses and shuffle the line around. I think Runyan will be a good player. We will also draft o-line this year. If you aren't drafting o-line, d-line and CB every year, what are you doing?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I think that's why we drafted three o-linemen last year. See who progresses and shuffle the line around. I think Runyan will be a good player. We will also draft o-line this year. If you aren't drafting o-line, d-line and CB every year, what are you doing?

Yeah, that's the point though, there's going to be a drop off in play. It is coming. Runyan could be fine or he could be the Lancaster/Lowry of the OL.  We saw a sample of him play, any highlights?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know that Runyan can't also play RT.  He's got the frame to do it and I think he has adequate feet for RT.

Wouldn't shock me to see him cross trained at RT.  

If you're a Packers Offensive linemen you are definitely being crossed trained at an additional position for sure. RT would be cool.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, that's the point though, there's going to be a drop off in play. It is coming. Runyan could be fine or he could be the Lancaster/Lowry of the OL.  We saw a sample of him play, any highlights?

Runyan had 160 snaps, 0 sacks, 1.5 pressures, 2 bad runs, 0 penalties. And that was coming in cold off the bench. I think there's every reason to think he can play LG at a pretty high level. Less certain about RT. 

My guess is the starting RT will be an inexpensive FA pickup or a high draft pick. I think Jenkins will be the C and Runyan the LG. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Runyan had 160 snaps, 0 sacks, 1.5 pressures, 2 bad runs, 0 penalties. And that was coming in cold off the bench. I think there's every reason to think he can play LG at a pretty high level. Less certain about RT. 

My guess is the starting RT will be an inexpensive FA pickup or a high draft pick. I think Jenkins will be the C and Runyan the LG. 

You basically just described Lowry's 2nd year.

31 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jenkins at C is a waste IMO. If he can be a RT, that's where you put him to get the best value of his talents.