Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Anything on Hanson? I know he was practice squad all year but is there a chance he could ever play center for us? I doubt this next season. Just curious on his development.

He was moved to IR in October. Don't know what the injury was. At Oregon QB was always in shotgun or pistol so Hanson was going to have to learn some adjustments. I doubt Packers are looking for him to be a starter in 2021. 

59 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Jenkins at C is a waste IMO. If he can be a RT, that's where you put him to get the best value of his talents. 

Depends on how good of a Tackle they think he can be. If he's a top notch Tackle, sure. But if he's just going to be average, I'd rather put him at C or LG where he can be a Pro Bowl player and try to find my top notch Tackle elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, pacman5252 said:

-Linsely- Is going to be 30 at the start of the season. 30 for IOL is close to the end of the line. Lang/Sitton are 33/34 RN and have both been out of football 2 years. Mike Wahle retired at 32. Rivera played until like 34, only 2 years not on GB... History says there is a 50% chance he is out of football in 2 years, probably 95% chance he's out in 4.

Lang and Sitton's bodies broke down towards the end of their GB career, and into their next team they completely fell apart.

22 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

sooooo who are you replacing Jenkins with? You'll definitely be missing a thing without Linsley.

I think you're expecting your young guards you drafted last year to step up.  Have to figure that either Runyan or Stepaniak should step into the LG spot if they move Jenkins.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I think that's why we drafted three o-linemen last year. See who progresses and shuffle the line around. I think Runyan will be a good player. We will also draft o-line this year. If you aren't drafting o-line, d-line and CB every year, what are you doing?

Pretty much this.  They threw the numbers game at the IOL last year.  Stepaniak was graded higher than he was drafted because he was coming off an injury, and there is the bloodlines you love with Runyan.  There's reason to be optimistic with their young guards.  And even in a worst case scenario, they could sign someone like Lane Taylor for the minimum.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, that's the point though, there's going to be a drop off in play. It is coming. Runyan could be fine or he could be the Lancaster/Lowry of the OL.  We saw a sample of him play, any highlights?

Lane Taylor was the Lancaster/Lowry of the OL, and our OL was just fine.  OL is largely the sum of the parts.  If they're flanked by Bakh and Jenkins, I'm not really concerned.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

Jenkins at C is a waste IMO. If he can be a RT, that's where you put him to get the best value of his talents. 

Can we stop regurgitating this crap, please?  IF someone can post ONE iota of evidence that center is less valuable than any of the other OL positions, I'll shut up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd agree ... RT is the best long term spot for him.

Again, please explain.  Interior pressure is at a premium these days.  You can scheme an outside pass rusher out of the equation, and you've got RB/TEs who can help chip or block those outside pass rushers.  Who is helping on an IDL?

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Can we stop regurgitating this crap, please?  IF someone can post ONE iota of evidence that center is less valuable than any of the other OL positions, I'll shut up.

The average OT salary is 50% higher than the average C. 

Tackles are drafted in the first round at an almost 4:1 ratio compared to C.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Again, please explain.  Interior pressure is at a premium these days.  You can scheme an outside pass rusher out of the equation, and you've got RB/TEs who can help chip or block those outside pass rushers.  Who is helping on an IDL?

It's pretty common knowledge since forever. The only thing that has changed is that RT is almost as important as LT. The salaries reflect this. The draft shows this. The measurables show this. Height, arm length, movement skills. If Linsley were 6'-5" with 34" arms instead of 6'-3" with 32" arms, he would have been a tackle

You don't play a guy at S if he can play CB. You don't play a guy at C if he can play OT

Edited by cannondale

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Lane Taylor was the Lancaster/Lowry of the OL, and our OL was just fine.  OL is largely the sum of the parts.  If they're flanked by Bakh and Jenkins, I'm not really concerned.

Theres not much that tells me Runyan is better than Lane Taylor at this point? I think you're denigrating what Lane made himself into as well with this comp.

I know people love to say this and with the passing game, where its about gelling and communication, Id agree, when it comes to pulling and getting to the 2nd level the talent levels start to really expound. Lucas Patrick vs Jenkins in space are completely different animals. 

Correlatingly the DL and ILB are a sum of the parts in the run game, so Lowry *should* be fine between Clark Preston and a OTLB. It's fairly equal.

When we're not rushing for an easy average like we had this year with basically any back that stepped in it'll be easy to point to Jones being gone. I'll be pointing to how our line has been downgraded. Going from a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year and a 10 year vet to "hopefully some combo of of that 3rd year player in a new position full time and a 5th round pick seeing their first full time action" isnt going to be as good.

Im not saying its going to be a disaster, I'm saying I doubt it'll look as easy as it has.

Edited by HighCalebR

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

NFL contracts handed out would seem to indicate IOL is less valuable than OT