Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Well it's officially "Aaron Jones Day" because either the Packers shock some people and tag him for another year, or he's 100% playing for another squad next year. Assuming he does leave, I'll miss Jones more than most players who leave. Guy is a special talent and an even better human if you've ever met him. 

The tag deadline is being extended until the salary cap is settle if I remember correctly. However, Jones is not going to be tagged. Makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

The tag deadline is being extended until the salary cap is settle if I remember correctly. However, Jones is not going to be tagged. Makes no sense.

Didn't read that about the extension. Interesting. But I agree, the Packers won't tag Jones, hence the shocking part. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Well it's officially "Aaron Jones Day" because either the Packers shock some people and tag him for another year, or he's 100% playing for another squad next year. Assuming he does leave, I'll miss Jones more than most players who leave. Guy is a special talent and an even better human if you've ever met him. 

I say Tag & Trade to Miami for a 3rd round pick.  Miami has a couple 1's and 2's in the bag already.  Dolphins have been rumored to ready to pounce on Jones once he hits the open market, and Drew Rosenhaus is Jones' Miami based agent these days.

46 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I say Tag & Trade to Miami for a 3rd round pick.  Miami has a couple 1's and 2's in the bag already.  Dolphins have been rumored to ready to pounce on Jones once he hits the open market, and Drew Rosenhaus is Jones' Miami based agent these days.

why would Miami do that?   They could just offer Jones a nice contract and keep the 3rd round pick

Just now, squire12 said:

why would Miami do that?   They could just offer Jones a nice contract and keep the 3rd round pick

If the Packers franchise tag Jones he can't go to Miami unless the Packers deal him there or un-tag him.  If the Dolphins want to sign while on the tag the Packers would get (2) 1st round picks.

• Like 1

There aren't a whole lot of "tag and trades" that have happened recently.   None that we've done that I can remember, since Corey Williams.

I think in order to tag and trade, GB needs to have the money to carry Jones under the cap at the tagged price.  And we aren't even close to that number.

I think it makes sense to do, and I'd love it to happen, but I think the reality here is that he does not get tagged and we simply take the comp pick next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Good, glad to see Funchess will get a crack at making the team. Still think he's worth a look there and he's cheap af for a WR. 

He definitely fits the Gute template for WR. We’ll see how a year away has left his conditioning but he is certainly  a strong body in the post, go up and get it guy. He should also be a willing blocker. ESB can hear the clock ticking and better have a nice camp.

Hopefully this gives some us some draft flexibility if there is a smaller, shifter, faster body that can join that group and also bring a threat on returns. 

Edited by Refugee

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

There aren't a whole lot of "tag and trades" that have happened recently.   None that we've done that I can remember, since Corey Williams.

I think in order to tag and trade, GB needs to have the money to carry Jones under the cap at the tagged price.  And we aren't even close to that number.

I think it makes sense to do, and I'd love it to happen, but I think the reality here is that he does not get tagged and we simply take the comp pick next year.

Dee Ford .. 2 years ago.  KC tagged him and dealt him to San Fran for a 2nd round pick.  So, it has happened in recent history.  I don't see why the Packers wouldn't do it .. if you are going to lose the guy might as well try to coax a pick out of someone.  If they don't get him dealt or re-signed then they can un-tag the guy and let him walk.  I don't care about the feelings of the players .. it's a business and the the franchise tag was negotiated between the owners and players. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Dee Ford .. 2 years ago.  KC tagged him and dealt him to San Fran for a 2nd round pick.  So, it has happened in recent history.  I don't see why the Packers wouldn't do it .. if you are going to lose the guy might as well try to coax a pick out of someone.  If they don't get him dealt or re-signed then they can un-tag the guy and let him walk.  I don't care about the feelings of the players .. it's a business and the the franchise tag was negotiated between the owners and players. 

Dee Ford at the time was coming off a 13 sack season. Aaron Jones is a running back. I don't think you see a team trade a 3rd for him to pay him a big extension. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Didn't read that about the extension. Interesting. But I agree, the Packers won't tag Jones, hence the shocking part. 

The reason for that is that the tag value for each position is dependent on the final cap number.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

He definitely fits the Gute template for WR. We’ll see how a year away has left his conditioning but he is certainly  a strong body in the post, go up and get it guy. He should also be a willing blocker. ESB can hear the clock ticking and better have a nice camp.

Hopefully this gives some us some draft flexibility if there is a smaller, shifter, faster body that can join that group and also bring a threat on returns. 

I believe it's more of a LaFleur template than a Gute one. If he makes the 53 man roster I can see him as one of our slot guys.

4 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

I believe it's more of a LaFleur template than a Gute one. If he makes the 53 man roster I can see him as one of our slot guys.

Maybe. But that 2018 draft was before LaFleur so there is some overlap. McCarthy was also fond of big bodies running down the middle of the field. Whether that’s at TE or WR seems to be less distinct in today’s game. 

What does that Dak contract mean for any Rodgers restructure?   That's the kind of contract Rodgers was waiting on since the Pack reportedly approached him in Jan.    I think the Packers will be better off eating his cap hit this year and keeping future flexibilty rather than trying to restructure now.   Might mean an even leaner year in FA than we already figured it to be.

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Maybe. But that 2018 draft was before LaFleur so there is some overlap. McCarthy was also fond of big bodies running down the middle of the field. Whether that’s at TE or WR seems to be less distinct in today’s game. 

Yeah, I understand what you say, but J'Mon Moore was picked ahead of them in that same draft and didn't make the team after MLF arrived.