Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

First off, I think you are right about Lowry.  It makes sense.

Only thing I can use to argue against that is leverage.  Clark, Keke and Lowry are the proven guys on the DL.  There's like nothing behind them.  Draft is weak at DL.

Dean probably doesn't get the contract he has now on the open market.  But if we were to release him if he didn't re-do his deal, we are perilously thin on the DL, with a weak draft.  Maybe that money could be used to sign a FA, though.

Would be ideal if Dean would do that and allow us to bring back King.

Get that done.  There will be another wave of free agents.  There always is.  Surprise cuts out of camp, things like that.  Get "Vante done and be in a position to look at those kinds of guys.  Or see what is left at the end of the free agent scrap heap.

16 minutes ago, craig said:

-For example, if he was given the choice between getting cut and battling on the open Covid market...

- versus taking a  $7/2 restructure plus 2 voidable years, for example, with $0.5 in base each year but 6 guaranteed?  Then he'd only count as like $2 toward cap this year?  So that could save $4.3 in cap, enough to cover the draft class?  Or enough to perhaps cover a King contract?  

But if you're Lowry and you believe that 2/$6M is a very realistic deal you could find in FA, why would you even entertain the idea of a paycut?  A pay cut threat only works when you're actually willing to release that player.  Preston Smith at $16M+ was an easier cap casualty than Dean Lowry at his $6.3M.

Zach Kruse -   If Kevin King departs, the Packers' first six draft picks in the 2017 draft will be gone after four years. Aaron Jones will be the only one left from the class.

King
Josh Jones
Montravius Adams
Vince Biegel
Jamaal Williams
DeAngelo Yancey
Kofi Amichia
Devante Mays
Malachi Dupre

///

The draft that wasnt.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But if you're Lowry and you believe that 2/$6M is a very realistic deal you could find in FA, why would you even entertain the idea of a paycut?  A pay cut threat only works when you're actually willing to release that player.  Preston Smith at $16M+ was an easier cap casualty than Dean Lowry at his $6.3M.

Yeah, maybe not.  Obviously it comes down to the details.  *IF* you think 2/$6M is market, and club is offering 2/$7M, $7 is better than $6, having $6.5 in hand and guaranteed is better than having more of it cuttable.  So that might make sense.  But yeah, if you're sure or willing to gamble that they aren't going to cut you to save $3 in cap, then it makes best sense to sit tight, and keep your $4.1/1 base.  Motivation to do anything is, as you reason well, minimal.  

Given that MAdams just got $2.5/1, I'd agree that Lowry probably isn't too worried that he's going to get cut to save $3M in cap.  And can just sit on his current deal.

Hope he has a good year, and can make a better deal next year when the cap isn't so tight.  

Of course, like all players I think he's competitive and would LOVE to get to the Super Bowl?  So he could perhaps do some restructure just as a favor to the Packers; as a way to strengthen the 2021 team and his chance of getting to the Super Bowl; and to make him a little harder to cut next year?  But without actually having ANY cut?  

How about kind of the Billy Turner trick:   add two voidable years, and convert $3.1M of base over to guaranteed signing bonus.  He'd get the same actual cash this year, so nothing lost or cut.  But his cap hit would then then be only $2.15, I think, so that could clear $4M in cap hit for this year?

Plus it would bump his dead-cap hit next year up from $1.5 to ~$3.4, which would strengthen his opportunity to NOT get cut then?   So win-win-win for Dean, boosts his chance to NOT get cut next year; wins favor with management; feels good to just be helping the team out; and helps strengthen the present roster and to reach the Super Bowl?

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty cool that Butler apparently went into the store and autographed some of his vodka bottles and they were just left on the shelf for people to buy. 

Yep, I have a friend who grabbed one. Doesn’t know if he should drink it, I told him you can refill the bottle with any vodka you want, it’s all the same. 

• Like 1

I get why people would discuss moving on from Lowry, but no way they do it before 2022.  Dead cap ensures you're not getting nearly enough value from cutting Lowry to make it worthwhile; replacing him for $3.5 million is just not happening straight up.  Lowry's the Ringo of the  DL, suffering from the comparison to his line mates more than anything he does/doesn't do.  He's pretty consistently good for 2-3 PDs, a FR, 2-3 sacks, and a handful of TFL/QB hits to go with solid tackle numbers, he can play up and down the line and he doesn't miss games.  He's not making the Pro Bowl any time soon but that's a player who's sticking around.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:21 PM, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -   If Kevin King departs, the Packers' first six draft picks in the 2017 draft will be gone after four years. Aaron Jones will be the only one left from the class.

King
Josh Jones
Montravius Adams
Vince Biegel
Jamaal Williams
DeAngelo Yancey
Kofi Amichia
Devante Mays
Malachi Dupre

///

The draft that wasnt.

Oooof that’s a bad draft lol. Jones was a gem but damn the rest of that draft is hot garbage. Williams will probably play a few more years.