Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I'm sure we will add somebody. Gute is the kind of guy who likes to ensure we don't have many holes especially leading up to the draft.

He did it last year with Wagner and Kirksey and i'm sure he will look to do so again albeit at a much lower price point.

If he really wants to preserve his compensatory picks then signing someone like Carlos Dunlap and Adoree Jackson/Kevin King would make alot of sense.

There's lots of FA talent still out there and half of the league barely have any cap space, I think the strategy to wait for other teams roster cuts is a good one as those players wouldn't affect our compensatory picks. Wouldn't surprise me if that is exactly what we're trying to do.

It's really is a good year to stock up on good quality talent at bargain basement prices. If we can find some at the right age and on a 1 year contract we can let them go in free agency next year and net us some more compensatory picks.

Waiting right now is the best strategy whether we like it or not.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

About how all of us feel, luckily we really only need 1-2 outside moves. Add a CB, OL or DL and then you can easily double dip at the other two positions with your 10 picks.

CB is a pretty big need at the moment.  DL needs an addition.  OL is less of a need with 

Bahk - (Jenkins/Runyan) - (Hanson/Jenkins) - Patrick - Turner

Certainly need some depth additions

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

CB is a pretty big need at the moment.  DL needs an addition.  OL is less of a need with 

Jenkins and Patrick can play center but we might be better if we have someone else we can depend on there and let them play G or even T in Jenkins’ case. I could see us picking up a vet there and supposedly we’ve been kicking some tires. 

Hanson isn’t a viable option until proven otherwise. If he makes the 53 it will be as backup C.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Bakhtiari is likely to miss the first 8 games or so.

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Jenkins and Patrick can play center but we might be better if we have someone else we can depend on there and let them play G or even T in Jenkins’ case. I could see us picking up a vet there and supposedly we’ve been kicking some tires. 

Agree.  Adding one potentially capable lineman would make me a lot more comfortable, center specifically.  We know Jenkins can cover center, or guard, or RT.  But *IF* we don't have any acceptable center other than him, then he's going to maybe need to stick at center, and if we have injury elsewhere we'd need to trust our present (and drafted) depth.  

That might work out.  But given how injury-prone linemen are, and given that Bakhti may well not be back for a while, I'd really love to have more flexibility.  

Hopefully I'm just paranoid:  hopefully Bakhti will be back fast; we'll draft a 2nd-day OL who's rookie-ready fast; Nijman is already a good NFL player just waiting for a chance; Runyan is ready to be a completely solid starting guard, not just an anti-awful; Patrick is already perfectly capable of starting at center and allowing Jenkins to stay at guard, or to cover tackle if needed; and maybe the Hansen and Stepaniek fans will be vindicated sooner than we can assume.  

Lots of hoping going on there, but I'd feel a lot less vulnerable if we were able to add one more capable guy.  

Just now, cannondale said:

Bakhtiari is likely to miss the first 8 games or so.

Not sure the science backs this up.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967120959654

There's a lot of factors that go into this, but it's feasible DB is ready to play week 1. We have a conservative staff, so 9 months (the timeframe from his injury/surgery to week 1) seems reasonable.

A similar study by Erickson et al18 found only 56.2% (77/137) of NFL and NCAA physicians would clear a player to return at 6 months, and 12.4% (17/137) would not clear a player in less than 9 months

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure the science backs this up.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967120959654

There's a lot of factors that go into this, but it's feasible DB is ready to play week 1. We have a conservative staff, so 9 months (the timeframe from his injury/surgery to week 1) seems reasonable.

A similar study by Erickson et al18 found only 56.2% (77/137) of NFL and NCAA physicians would clear a player to return at 6 months, and 12.4% (17/137) would not clear a player in less than 9 months

Originally reported to be a 9-12 month recovery. Add in the Packers conservative medical staff ........

Also wouldn't hurt to have a RT as well

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Originally reported to be a 9-12 month recovery. Add in the Packers conservative medical staff ........

Also wouldn't hurt to have a RT as well

9-12 months is based on timeline of injury. Someone who tears their ACL in September won't play for 12 months (the following September). Someone who tears their ACL in December will probably play in September (9 months). The seasonality of injuries plays into the recovery timeline primarily.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

9-12 months is based on timeline of injury. Someone who tears their ACL in September won't play for 12 months (the following September). Someone who tears their ACL in December will probably play in September (9 months). The seasonality of injuries plays into the recovery timeline primarily.

I'm just going off the numerous reports following the injury