Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ben Fennell -   Fantastic! The Y-TE in LaFleur's offense is so important - and Tonyan/Sternberger are not potential replacements/fits Having a TE you can trust to erase a DE in the run game gives the collective scheme SO MUCH flexibility.

• Andy Herman -  Yep! One of the absolute glue guys on the Packers offense and makes so much around him work. When you’re the best at anything in the NFL it has value and Lewis is the best at what he does. Not sexy - but super effective.

Zach Kruse -     What do we think about the Packers signing Xavier Woods to replace Will Redmond and letting Darnell Savage play more "star" in the nickel?

• Andy Herman -   Yes to Woods. Absolute no to Savage in the star. Savage is best when he’s flying around and doesn’t need to diagnose. His coverage is good but not corner good. You’re not putting him in a position to be his best. He made great progress at safety last year - keep him doing that.

Zach Kruse  -   Interesting. From PFF on Savage covering in the slot last year: 125 snaps, only 6 catches allowed, 2 INTs, 58.0 passer rating.

Edited by Leader

Random thought that popped into my head the other day: The Packers retired #92 for Reggie White who was obviously deserving of such. Played 6 years in GB and won a SB. Was a franchise changing move that helped put us over the top. 

But doesn't Charles Woodson check all those boxes as well? 7 years in GB. SB champion. DPOY award, etc. Surprised there hasn't been a larger outcry about retiring No. 21 in GB. Or if there has, I've missed it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Random thought that popped into my head the other day: The Packers retired #92 for Reggie White who was obviously deserving of such. Played 6 years in GB and won a SB. Was a franchise changing move that helped put us over the top. 

But doesn't Charles Woodson check all those boxes as well? 7 years in GB. SB champion. DPOY award, etc. Surprised there hasn't been a larger outcry about retiring No. 21 in GB. Or if there has, I've missed it. 

I think you mean HaHa's number

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think you mean HaHa's number

#21 will always be Brent Fullwood to me. 

FWIW, I tend to feel that career GB player Leroy Butler, though not a HoF'er or DPOY, deserves it just as much. If Reggie White anchored the front 7 of those 90s teams, Butler was just as important on the back end. 

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   The big news from today - Aaron Rodgers will not retire a 49er.

I got a kick out of that narrative too. Sooo 2005. Rodgers says Wisconsin is home. He has a WI drivers license. He's into the Badgers. Owns part of the Bucks. He has pretty much embraced this state, and not many would. I give him mad props for that. I couldn't do it. Not saying he won't someday divorce this state and never come back - but still

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I blame this terrible logic on @incognito_man  he was supposed to teach y’all statistics in the playoffs last year but clearly failed. 

Tangentially, I saw a random post on twitter about what was the hardest class you had to take in college, and why was it statistics?  And had one of those full body deep laughs right before I went to go look at my diploma to make sure I still passed P-Chem.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Tangentially, I saw a random post on twitter about what was the hardest class you had to take in college, and why was it statistics?  And had one of those full body deep laughs right before I went to go look at my diploma to make sure I still passed P-Chem.  

I read a book called AGAINST THE GODS: THE STORY OF RISK and it gave me a better grasp on statistics than a 14 wk/3 credit class did. 

I think the problem with all stats classes is they're taught poorly. I have no idea how this happens, but I generally had zero idea what the prof was on about and also zero idea how I passed with a C (I was usually a B+ level student)

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I read a book called AGAINST THE GODS: THE STORY OF RISK and it gave me a better grasp on statistics than a 14 wk/3 credit class did. 

I think the problem with all stats classes is they're taught poorly. I have no idea how this happens, but I generally had zero idea what the prof was on about and also zero idea how I passed with a C (I was usually a B+ level student)

Honestly, I never had a strong grasp of what mathematics professors did for a University.  Do they help the Chemistry guys do some of the more complicated calculations for their research? I also found that it is a lot easier to take my math classes in a smaller setting and with more focus.  I took pre-calc in a giant lecture, during my first semester.  I really got by with what I had learned in high school, and got a B- or C+ only because of the curve.  I took both Calc 1 and 2 over summer semesters and got As in both.  I propose the issue is a low level professor (teaching wise) combined with a lack of personal interaction and time to do the proper studying with other course loads that make University level mathematics courses difficult.  I would suggest the same is true for most of your entry level science courses as well.  If you were to go blindly into Chemistry 1, without taking it in High School, and you had 10 other hours of course work, I imagine that it would be pretty difficult.

Still, P-Chem is the worst.  And I will stand by that.  Quantitative Chemical Analysis was also a PITA.  I challenge any of the kids having problems with Statistics to take those courses.

To bring this back around to the Packers.  How many of them do you think took any of these classes? We know that Rodgers, Adams, and Jones put up stats, but can they pass stats?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

..Still, P-Chem is the worst.  And I will stand by that.  

Yes.  

Heh heh, so how to tie this in with chemistry?  With MLF + Gute basically bringing the whole gang back, the team chemistry should be really strong.  At least, it seemed to be a really tight bunch who respected, encouraged, and appreciated each other.  So I think keeping that good chemistry going is probably really nice.  Offensively, there was a lot of talk about being more comfortable year 2.  Don't imagine that will have the same "comfort" jump in year 3, but perhaps still some?  Probably for rookies like Dillon, Deguara, Dafney, Runyan, that will probably help some, though.  And probably other guys who just haven't been in it much?  Sternberger?  EQ?  Patrick Taylor?  W

There was talk about how the defenders being more comfortable with each other and Pettine's system was going to help last year, given how many guys had been new to Packers in 19.  But isn't there a pretty good history in the league where often a new defensive coordinator gets something of a jump in defensive performance? 

So perhaps Barry being new won't be as disruptive as when a new offensive philosophy enters, and we'll actually get a good jump?  Overseeing the same coaches should reduce adjustment negatives.  And unsure how much shift in philosophy will occur anyway?  Maybe a new voice, but how much scheme-shifting if any remains to be seen. 

My optimistic hope, though, is that our defense will jump a bit with a new voice and some helpful fresh ideas. 

Often the jump associated with a new DC is more correlation than causation.  When a defense goes bad and the team switches DC, they are usually focussing FA dollars and high draft picks on defense too, so improving personnel.  In our case, no FA upgrades of note, and using two of our first three end-of-round picks isn't likely to cause much immediate jump.  But hopefully the D will improve anyway, and Gute will really click on the high-round defensive picks and maybe they'll provide at least a little rookie-season help.  

• Like 1