Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

All you have to do is look at Hermans post with some context. I put together a similar list here somewhere. It simply shows the lack of difference makers. Was Martinez a good pick ? That's up for debate. Nobody here was crying when he left. That says something. You have to draft guys that move the needle. Can you win a Super Bowl with a defense made up of 11 Martinez's ?? No. 

Are you relying on your day 3 picks to be the difference makers? No.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you relying on your day 3 picks to be the difference makers? No.

LMAO. They gotta come from somewhere. Do I care where they come from ?? It's not my fault the premium picks are used on backups. Stay focused. The point is the lack of needle movers

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I found Herman's take to be "less than intellectual" as well.  But, because of Twitter, I've become accustomed to reading "less than intellectual" tweets.  It doesn't mean that the authors are idiots, it just means that at times, they drink and post.  You know, like @Norm.  And we love him, too.

Norm.....

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cannondale said:

LMAO. They gotta come from somewhere. Do I care where they come from ?? It's not my fault the premium picks are used on backups. Stay focused. The point is the lack of needle movers

Yeah at 26-6 the last two years we're really hurting to move that needle.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah at 26-6 the last two years we're really hurting to move that needle.

Either debate the point or don't. You are tossing out cliche's. Rodgers has kept the needle pretty stable for 10 years. The list of legit needs at some pretty important spots is slowly sneaking up.

Edited by cannondale

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

All you have to do is look at Hermans post with some context. I put together a similar list here somewhere. It simply shows the lack of difference makers. Was Martinez a good pick ? That's up for debate. Nobody here was crying when he left. That says something. You have to draft guys that move the needle. Can you win a Super Bowl with a defense made up of 11 Martinez's ?? No. Can you win a Super Bowl with a couple Martinez guys ?? Sure, but the list shows there aren't enough needle movers

I look at the roster like this.  Assuming 7 draft picks per year plus 1-2 UDFA, that is 8-9 players per draft cycle.  Could be more or less with comp picks and trades, but an average of like 8.5 per year.  Times 4 pears you should have around 34 "rookies". 

If each draft gets you 2-3 players worthy of a second contract, that is another 10 players on 2nd contracts.  So 44 players.

1 player from each class, or every other gets you another 3-4 players.  Total of 47.

Sprinkle in a free agent every year as either a key starter or depth and you get your 53man roster.

34 from rookies/UDFA

10 on 2nd contracts

3-4 on 3rd contracts

5-6 free agents signings 

Ideally your 2nd and 3rd contract player are "needle movers/difference makers".  Rodgers, Bahktiari, Adams, Clark.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Either debate the point or don't. You are tossing out cliche's. Rodgers has kept the needle pretty stable for 10 years. The list of legit needs at some pretty important spots is slowly sneaking up.

Jones, Adams, Bakh, Tonyan, Jenkins, Clark, Z, Alexander. There's 8 Pro Bowl caliber players, outside of Aaron.

Gary, Savage, Amos, Turner could be considered bubble guys that could make it with a bit better year than last year. 

Sorry, I see the Packers as one of the most talented teams in the NFL, not going to whine about the 2015 draft as we go 13-3 in back to back years.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The window is closing fast with Rodgers. Hoping for 2-3 years with him and GB still needs to add some important depth pieces at the very least. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jones, Adams, Bakh, Tonyan, Jenkins, Clark, Z, Alexander. There's 8 Pro Bowl caliber players, outside of Aaron.

Gary, Savage, Amos, Turner could be considered bubble guys that could make it with a bit better year than last year. 

Sorry, I see the Packers as one of the most talented teams in the NFL, not going to whine about the 2015 draft as we go 13-3 in back to back years.

I'm not gonna play tag with you. Now you are including FA's. That wasn't the argument. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agreed. That being said, the big trophy is what the focus is.  Been at the door 2years straight and slammed shut both times. Need more to keep that door open.

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Agreed. That being said, the big trophy is what the focus is.  Been at the door 2years straight and slammed shut both times. Need more to keep that door open.

Maybe, we've also played C-D level football in most of our NFCCG in the Rodgers era, if we bring our A game for those, we may have had the talent all along for another ring or two.

• Like 2

Essentially the draft does two things

• 1. Finds difference makers
  • 2. Finds you cheap starters

Obviously you want to try and find your Kenny Clark type players but equally importantly if you find a solid starter like Martinez in the 4th round then you have saved yourself a significant veteran contract. How much did we pay Kirksey ?   You can then use the money saved to upgrade in other positions and get your difference makers.

When you pick in the 1st round you hope to find a difference maker.  Realistically if you pick in the 4th round you hope to find a solid starter if you do its a huge win in terms of roster construction. Martinez was a Grade A pick like Clark was.  

This is why its annoyed me no end that Gute is throwing away these 4th round picks in trades like they don't matter. Hitting on these picks are how you get a strong roster and win on salary cap. If he had been a bit more careful with them, we might not have to kick 30m cap hits in 22/23

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Maybe, we've also played C-D level football in most of our NFCCG in the Rodgers era, if we bring our A game for those, we may have had the talent all along for another ring or two.

2014 Seattle collapse will always hurt. Even more than 4th and 26...

Just now, Toddfather said:

2014 Seattle collapse will always hurt. Even more than 4th and 26...

4th & 26 was a true dagger - moreso IMO - than Bostic's muff. We still cudda won after Bostic.

4th & 26 was like: Damn. It actually happened and its all over.

Both were "We're THIS CLOSE......" - but the TD2TO was instant death.

26 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

The window is closing fast with Rodgers. Hoping for 2-3 years with him and GB still needs to add some important depth pieces at the very least. 

How is this window closing?

Back to back NFCCG.

Z in his prime.  'Vante in his prime.  Clark, Amos, Jaire, Bakh, Jenkins, Jones.  Those are all elite type players.  Then you have guys coming strong, Gary, Savage, Tonyan.  After that?  Still a good list of guys who are playing well, with room to improve...MVS, Lazard, Turner.

Man, I've not been this stoked about a GB roster in a long time.

Gimme two CB's in this draft, an OT, ILB, DT and a WR and I'm a very happy camper.  With all of our picks, it shouldn't be too difficult to add to this roster.

• Like 3