Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Essentially the draft does two things

• 1. Finds difference makers
  • 2. Finds you cheap starters

Obviously you want to try and find your Kenny Clark type players but equally importantly if you find a solid starter like Martinez in the 4th round then you have saved yourself a significant veteran contract. How much did we pay Kirksey ?   You can then use the money saved to upgrade in other positions and get your difference makers.

When you pick in the 1st round you hope to find a difference maker.  Realistically if you pick in the 4th round you hope to find a solid starter if you do its a huge win in terms of roster construction. Martinez was a Grade A pick like Clark was.  

This is why its annoyed me no end that Gute is throwing away these 4th round picks in trades like they don't matter. Hitting on these picks are how you get a strong roster and win on salary cap. If he had been a bit more careful with them, we might not have to kick 30m cap hits in 22/23

Counterpoint....Had Gute been more careful, maybe we have Davenport at EDGE as opposed to Jaire at corner.

I just find it hilariously ironic that during the TT regime, all the arguments were about hitting on your draft picks because that's how you win Super Bowls. Hitting on Top 100 picks was the only way to do it. Legit talent and star contributions from guys on rookie contracts. Delving into FA meant that you were gonna be the Redskins.

Now that FA's are being signed, missing on Top 100 picks is all the sudden no big deal. Herman is absolutely right. Who knows what happens if those drafts were better. The domino effect of horrible drafts are huge.  Instead, all we have is ifs, ands, and buts. You have to hit on the draft and sign quality FA's. IF you don't, some other team will.

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Either debate the point or don't. You are tossing out cliche's. Rodgers has kept the needle pretty stable for 10 years. The list of legit needs at some pretty important spots is slowly sneaking up.

Find a franchise that doesn't have legitimate need.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

How is this window closing?

Back to back NFCCG.

Z in his prime.  'Vante in his prime.  Clark, Amos, Jaire, Bakh, Jenkins, Jones.  Those are all elite type players.  Then you have guys coming strong, Gary, Savage, Tonyan.  After that?  Still a good list of guys who are playing well, with room to improve...MVS, Lazard, Turner.

Man, I've not been this stoked about a GB roster in a long time.

Gimme two CB's in this draft, an OT, ILB, DT and a WR and I'm a very happy camper.  With all of our picks, it shouldn't be too difficult to add to this roster.

Lol, you aren't asking for much in the draft are you?  That's a whole lot to be looking for and many won't more than likely see the field.  Like your thinking but there wasn't any help whatsoever this off season.  

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Maybe, we've also played C-D level football in most of our NFCCG in the Rodgers era, if we bring our A game for those, we may have had the talent all along for another ring or two.

Maybe maybe maybe.  If if if.  Or not.  Whatever it is/has been, no go so far.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yet one of us is dancing around the argument, and the other isn't.

I post 2 or 3 lengthy specific posts and I'm dancing around it, but you post a cliche' and I'm supposed to compose yet again ?? Nahhh. If you can't bring something to the table, it's just weak takes on your part. I may be right, I may be wrong, but at least I didn't post "the sky is blue"

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, Leader said:

4th & 26 was a true dagger - moreso IMO - than Bostic's muff. We still cudda won after Bostic.

4th & 26 was like: Damn. It actually happened and its all over.

Both were "We're THIS CLOSE......" - but the TD2TO was instant death.

Just as a heads up, but unless I missed an earlier piece of the conversation 4th and 26 is the Eagles/Packers Divisional Round game from the '03 season, not the Young to TO game winner.  4th and 26 was really similar to Bostic actually, as the Packers still had the higher win percentage even after that play, they just didn't plan for Favre pulling a classic 2000s Favre and throwing the game away with an inexplicable deep ball INT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

I just find it hilariously ironic that during the TT regime, all the arguments were about hitting on your draft picks because that's how you win Super Bowls. Hitting on Top 100 picks was the only way to do it. Legit talent and star contributions from guys on rookie contracts. Delving into FA meant that you were gonna be the Redskins.

Now that FA's are being signed, missing on Top 100 picks is all the sudden no big deal. Herman is absolutely right. Who knows what happens if those drafts were better. The domino effect of horrible drafts are huge.  Instead, all we have is ifs, ands, and buts. You have to hit on the draft and sign quality FA's. IF you don't, some other team will.

That’s a dishonest misrepresentation of the arguments. No one was ever categorically opposed to FA in a binary-thinking fashion. Were people complaining about Woodson? Or Pickett? The point was to say that they are not slam-dunks when you look at the league as a whole and do not cherry-pick situations to look at. There are legitimate risks to putting too much weight in FA’s that often regress and the team inevitable has less information on. In short, just because hitting on your own picks is *preferable* does not mean it is a world-ender that is not recoverable-from when it doesn’t happen. There are multiple ways to skin a cat. The 2015 draft is not still affecting GB’s current roster in any meaningful fashion. 

21 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Just as a heads up, but unless I missed an earlier piece of the conversation 4th and 26 is the Eagles/Packers Divisional Round game from the '03 season, not the Young to TO game winner.  4th and 26 was really similar to Bostic actually, as the Packers still had the higher win percentage even after that play, they just didn't plan for Favre pulling a classic 2000s Favre and throwing the game away with an inexplicable deep ball INT.

Thats right.

With 8 seconds left in the game and the 49ers facing 3rd-and-3, San Francisco wide receiver Terrell Owens made a catch in the end zone to complete a 25-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Steve Young, enabling the 49ers to defeat the Packers, 30–27.

This play - was the dagger.

Favre in Philly?  Thats just Favre being Favre. For all his greatness - he had a lot of lousy plays at critical moments.