Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, deathstar said:

I think there are valid criticisms of Rodgers’ performance in big games. I think the biggest reason for our loss in the NFC Championship game is not converting after the turnovers. I also think that anyone who would take TB and that offense over ours last season is crazy banana face. 

I think Norm said it best at the top of this page. This fan base has experienced so many wins it doesn’t recognize how good we have it right now. We are bringing back one of the most efficient offenses in history with an upgraded RB2 and an upgraded WR corps, better TEs than the majority of last season, and a defense that was top ten despite playing ten yards off on third and 2.

But some fans just get off on the whole doom and gloom thing. That’s fine I guess.

The problem is offense won't get you anywhere if your defense is what ours is.  Also, it doesn't matter how good your offense is in the regular season if they can't perform after getting punched in the mouth.

The Buccaneers punched us in the mouth and we couldn't get it done.  All those yards, all those points and we weren't capable of converting even three points off three interceptions by Brady. 

If we had converted on one single turnover, that final drive we're going for a TD to take the lead instead of kicking a field goal to stay within reach. 

If you change the outcome of that end of the half TD, the defense did enough.

Pettine deserved to be fired over that one single play, and he was. 

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The problem is offense won't get you anywhere if your defense is what ours is.  Also, it doesn't matter how good your offense is in the regular season if they can't perform after getting punched in the mouth.

The Buccaneers punched us in the mouth and we couldn't get it done.  All those yards, all those points and we weren't capable of converting even three points off three interceptions by Brady. 

If we had converted on one single turnover, that final drive we're going for a TD to take the lead instead of kicking a field goal to stay within reach. 

If you change the outcome of that end of the half TD, the defense did enough.

Pettine deserved to be fired over that one single play, and he was. 

The difference is I believe you see last season as a failure because of the outcome of a single game. In my opinion it wasn’t at all.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, deathstar said:

The difference is I believe you see last season as a failure because of the outcome of a single game. In my opinion it wasn’t at all.

Expectations going into a season factr into how some / many view success/ failure. 

Coming off a 13-3 2019 season and NFCCG loss, taking the next step is important.   So getting to the superbowl is just that.  In 2020, that didn't happen.

Miami is a team that next step success for 2021 is making the playoffs.

Cleveland it is winning the division with a playoff win or 2.  

• Like 1

As a Packer fan through the 70's and 80's reading this thread makes me laugh.  Back then we would be happy just to get a MNF game let alone make the playoffs.  Perennial losers.  Making it to the NFC championship game is pretty damn good.  I'll say some of you guys are pretty spoiled by decades of success.  

How would you like to be a Cinci fan?  Detroit fan?  Jets fan?  No hope of going anywhere ever.  At least the Pack is in it and are always contenders.  Only 1 team out of 32 wins it.  So heartbreak for everyone else.  That's football that's the reality.  

Honestly I am surprised the Packers have been this good for this long.  2 Superbowl wins numerous playoff appearances. Only a handful of losing seasons since '93.  I'll take it.  Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.  Once Aaron is gone you may never see this level of success again.  

Damn proud of the Packers last season.  I deem it a very successful season even though they didn't win it all.  A couple of plays away.  Winning the Superbowl should be the standard but again only 1 out of 32 teams is going to win it all.  Heartbreak is the norm.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Expectations going into a season factr into how some / many view success/ failure. 

Coming off a 13-3 2019 season and NFCCG loss, taking the next step is important.   So getting to the superbowl is just that.  In 2020, that didn't happen.

If that’s how you choose to fan, ok.

I may be in the minority but if all we do is win 14 games a year that’s awesome.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

As a Packer fan through the 70's and 80's reading this thread makes me laugh.  Back then we would be happy just to get a MNF game let alone make the playoffs.  Perennial losers.  Making it to the NFC championship game is pretty damn good.  I'll say some of you guys are pretty spoiled by decades of success.  

How would you like to be a Cinci fan?  Detroit fan?  Jets fan?  No hope of going anywhere ever.  At least the Pack is in it and are always contenders.  Only 1 team out of 32 wins it.  So heartbreak for everyone else.  That's football that's the reality.  

Honestly I am surprised the Packers have been this good for this long.  2 Superbowl wins numerous playoff appearances. Only a handful of losing seasons since '93.  I'll take it.  Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.  Once Aaron is gone you may never see this level of success again.  

Damn proud of the Packers last season.  I deem it a very successful season even though they didn't win it all.  A couple of plays away.  Winning the Superbowl should be the standard but again only 1 out of 32 teams is going to win it all.  Heartbreak is the norm.

This! I remember those years too so I am enjoying the ride now. Sure, it would be nice to win three super bowls in a row but we have to deal with reality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GBPFan said:

This! I remember those years too so I am enjoying the ride now. Sure, it would be nice to win three super bowls in a row but we have to deal with reality.

I remember those years as well.  I enjoyed the ride and optimistic view of the team making progress toward the ultimate destination of winning a title.

Not sure where needing to win 3 super bowls in a row is what is being asked.  

Getting to 1 in Rodgers remaining years is the next step of the ride.

10 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I may be in the minority but if all we do is win 14 games a year that’s awesome.

I have no issues with that view as a fan.

Being good is a very nice thing, but not quite as nice as being great.  

The risk of trying to be great carries with it a higher chance of being bad at some point.  That is always implied by the "GB fans are so spoiled by winning games, they don't know what the 70's and 80's were like".

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

...The Packers for as long as Rodgers is here will NEVER be able to win a game where the opposing defense kicks some teeth on the line and pushes the receivers around. ...

It's a team game.  I don't expect the QB to win when the lines are getting kicked and dominated and outclassed, and the receivers too.  

Brady is terrific and poised and smart and is brilliant.  But he's matched with a lot of great teams with great defenses.  At the non-QB roles,, Tampa badly dominated and outclassed Packers and KC.  Aaron would win all the big games, too, if his surrounding roster and defense was as superior to the competition as was Tampa's to KC or GB.  

I think the Packers have a chance to have a very good surrounding roster this season.  So I'm really excited about the possibilities.  But no, I don't anticipate our lines, O or D, or our defense, to be as overwhelmingly superior in the playoffs as was true with Tampa.  

40 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Agree.  I thought this season past was super fun.  The regular season goes for months and months.  Winning almost all of those, and having legit reason to be hoping and thinking that we've got a legit change for Super Bowl, that's months and months of enjoyment, and pleasant distraction from some of the heavier things in life!  To unenjoy all of those games and months because odds are we won't win the Super Bowl, that's not for me.  This past season was really enjoyable, and I admit having an offense that was so good and so diverse was a pleasure to watch (other than the two Tampa killers).  

It's still March, but it's a pleasure now, too, to think about the possibilities if things go right. We had a really good team.  Most of it is back.  Perhaps Bakhti will rejoin soon enough.  It's possible that if health allows, and the o-line, that this team has a chance to again be among the top handful of teams in the league, with another legit chance to possibly get to the Super Bowl or close.  It's fun to have a team good enough to allow for such hopes and possibilities.  Even if I know it's unlikely that everything will come together for a Super Bowl, having a plausible hope that we could get there is fun and a pleasure.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

I have no issues with that view as a fan.

Being good is a very nice thing, but not quite as nice as being great.  

The risk of trying to be great carries with it a higher chance of being bad at some point.  That is always implied by the "GB fans are so spoiled by winning games, they don't know what the 70's and 80's were like".

If you view averaging 14 wins as merely good, ok. 

I don’t and the vast majority of fans out there agree. We have had two great seasons, in my opinion. We’re living in the future that was mortgaged two off seasons ago to have these seasons.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

This is the best, and frankly, only correct way to describe it. 

When you have Aaron Rodgers and this Packers team, anything less than the Super Bowl is a failure. True, that means you're going to "fail" a lot because winning the SB is hard, but it's a failure nevertheless. It's the Brady mentality. When Brady doesn't win the SB, that season is a failure to him, and the Packers' standard with Rodgers should be no different. 

Now, if you're a lesser team, with a lesser QB, etc., your expectations of a "successful" season are very different. When the Packers move to Love at QB, the expectation will not be the SB, at least not a few seasons, just like going to the SB wasn't the benchmark of a "successful" season when Rodgers first took over.