Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This is the best, and frankly, only correct way to describe it. 

When you have Aaron Rodgers and this Packers team, anything less than the Super Bowl is a failure. True, that means you're going to "fail" a lot because winning the SB is hard, but it's a failure nevertheless. It's the Brady mentality. When Brady doesn't win the SB, that season is a failure to him, and the Packers' standard with Rodgers should be no different. 

Now, if you're a lesser team, with a lesser QB, etc., your expectations of a "successful" season are very different. When the Packers move to Love at QB, the expectation will not be the SB, at least not a few seasons, just like going to the SB wasn't the benchmark of a "successful" season when Rodgers first took over. 

But we're not the Packers.  This is the thing that I think fans tend to just skip past, but it's important.  I agree that the team should have a standard of Super Bowl or bust, because they actually play the games and approaching them with a winning mindset is key.  But the mind set I approach the games with doesn't change anything, literally at all.  Whether I accept failure or not doesn't change whether the Packers win or lose.  If you think it does, you simply do not understand the level of pressure NFL players are under just as a baseline.  No one who's worked their whole life for a small chance to do one thing would just forget to care enough about it unless a faceless mob of spectators were mad enough at them.

So the mindset I take in should be the one that benefits me the most, and I've never seen the benefit in just being unhappy year after year after year.  That feeling of helplessness and anger so many fans feel after a playoff loss?  I don't feel that at all.  I enjoyed the hell out of the 2020 season, even with the way it ended.  I also enjoyed the hell out of the 2017 season, watching the drama of the team attempting to stay above water enough to stay in the hunt until Aaron returned.  We are not competing, and so our enjoyment doesn't need to come entirely from the competition.  I want the Packers to win it all every year, but I'll never see the years they didn't as failures.  I succeeded at every goal I had for them, I had a great time.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 7

I won't be surprised if Gute trades a 4th again this round.  Ted traded down from the Watt pick for King, in order to pick up the extra 4th.  Biegel didn't hit.  Not to watt-obsess, but in retrospect I'd rather have gone without Biegel and just taken Watt.  :):)

I don't regret trading 3rd and 6th to move up for Jaire.  Don't regret trading up for Savage, either.  Or trading up a lifetime ago for Clay Matthews.   We'll see with Jordan Love, rare for QB that late in the first round to end up being really good.  But *IF* he proves out to be a good NFL starting QB, nobody's going to regret having lost a 4th to enable that.  

I'm kinda guessing the Packers have some pretty specific areas of need, and they're very much in a win-now mode.  So *IF* they some guys they scout as both excellent long-term fits for a position of need, AND guys who could be able to be rotation-functional already as rookies, I'd not at all be surprised to see them trade up a few spots in any of the first three rounds.  

I assume CB/DL/OL are the three highest-priority target groups.  But having good-fit value fit exactly into their spot in each round, how likely is that?  doing some trading so that BPA meets need makes good sense to me.  If they somehow scouted great and hit on all three of those positions in the first three rounds, and the players turned out well, that would be just amazing.  

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Yes - if it is your guy and its a must get him now, he shouldn't be around at this pick.

When you do it every year though, it gives impression he is actively looking to trade up and not valuing the mid round picks at all.

I think it tells you how he tiers his board.  Better to give up a 4'th and secure a guy in your top tier (presumably at a position of need), then take a player a tier lower all the time.

I mean, he's done it for Alexander, Savage and Love, right?

2 of the 3 hit already.  And maybe Love's selection led to the Rodgers turnaround.  But if it did, I'm not ready to say he is 3-3 just yet.

Who am I missing that he has also done it for?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think it tells you how he tiers his board.  Better to give up a 4'th and secure a guy in your top tier (presumably at a position of need), then take a player a tier lower all the time.

I mean, he's done it for Alexander, Savage and Love, right?

2 of the 3 hit already.  And maybe Love's selection led to the Rodgers turnaround.  But if it did, I'm not ready to say he is 3-3 just yet.

Who am I missing that he has also done it for?

Oren.

4 hours ago, deathstar said:

If you view averaging 14 wins as merely good, ok. 

I don’t and the vast majority of fans out there agree. We have had two great seasons, in my opinion. We’re living in the future that was mortgaged two off seasons ago to have these seasons.

Interesting that GB rarely showcases their hardware for 14 win season in a trophy case.

GB had a good season in 2020.  Expectations going into the season factor into the end "grade/ ratings for me.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  The Packers made 25 selections from 2015-2017 & basically hit on Kenny Clark & Aaron Jones. That's it.

Remaining players on the team: Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kevin King, Aaron Jones

Top 100 misses: Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Spriggs, Fackrell, J. Jones, K. King, M. Adams

///

A draft and develop team has to be sharp (and accurate) in its talent evaluations.

Would Jones be a miss had he moved on in FA?  That's the only way Herman can justify calling Jones a hit while not doing the same for picks like Jamaal Williams and Blake Martinez.  Both Williams and Martinez were fine picks.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Would Jones be a miss had he moved on in FA?  That's the only way Herman can justify calling Jones a hit while not doing the same for picks like Jamaal Williams and Blake Martinez.  Both Williams and Martinez were fine picks.

I think your mistake is thinking Herman put ANY thought into that tweet or whatever it was.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, Outpost31 said:

No we don’t.  He sold out for interceptions.  I’m judging his HOF candidacy based on what the HOF is, not what it should be.  You have 60 career interceptions and 10 career TDs as a defender and you’re getting in.

The thing about Sharper's focus on ints was that it didn't really detract from his game (look at you,  Ha-Ha Clinton Dix) - while he wasn't a RB-seeking missile in run support or a person who decleated those who crossed the middle, I don't recall any issues with an unwillingness to stick it in there in run support or do the dirty work. I don't think he sought it out, but he didn't shy away from it. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:32 AM, vegas492 said:

....we also had a prime LeRoy Butler.  That dude was a game wrecker.  In his prime he could cover ground better than Sharper, and I dare say, better than Collins as a safety.

Butler was a S who could do ANYTHING you wanted. Need him to cover at TE or RB or a #3? Sure, he's got that. Need him to pressure the QB? He's there. Need him to stick his nose in vs the run? Pow. Need him to roam deep and prevent big plays? Consider it done. 

Collins is a big "what if..." for me. If not for that neck injury, he probably retired 2-3 yrs ago and we're debating his chances of getting into Canton. He was PHENOMENAL from 08-10. Leroy Butler is one of my favourite players, and while I don't know who's better, I am not angry if they're mentioned in the same breath. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Norm said:

The HS I went to has a BB coach that started when I was a frosh. He's a good coach, he's made the tourney nearly every year since, I think made it like 11 of last 15 or something. But he's never won a title, made one title game. Everyone hates him, which they had made THREEEEEEEEEEEEEE tournaments in the previous 60 years or whatever the hell it was. But I get it. When you get that close to tasting it over and over but can never do it, I mean, it's almost more frustrating than not thinking of it as far as the mental state of fans. 

The problem is people get spoiled and think "oh, we just need a different guy to get over the hump!" and in most cases the replacement is worse and it gets to where you can't even see the hump - "hey, I hear there's a hump up there a ways!" "Yes, back in my day we used to almost get over it!" "That must have been incredible!" "Yeah, good time, good times" 

• Like 1

And so it begins.............

Aaron Nagler -  "Starting in 2022, the Packers will be included in the regular rotation to play internationally, which will focus initially on Canada, Europe, Mexico, South America and the United Kingdom."

From the Packers release regarding the 17 game schedule.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Personally, I feel like putting draft picks into a binary is just dumb. I usually throw "useful" in there as well...I don't know what we'd expect from, say, Williams and Martinez but they were definitely pluses on the roster. Absent analysis about where they were picked, they were definitely "useful" players even if someone doesn't want to grade them as "hits." Certainly a long ******* way away from a "bust" which is a player whose contribution ranges from negligible to negative, and even then I feel like an injury bust is less egregious than someone who just sucks.