Jump to content

Random Packer News & Notes


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

I hope that's just speculation, but if it's true, it's kind of a self-own by management. They recognized the need/desirability of adding a big name free agent but because Rodgers wouldn't do their preferred restructure they then ignored two other sources of cap space (Adams, Z Smith) which would've enabled the FA signing? 

When people bring up Adams and Z. Smith for extensions as a form of gaining cap space I don't believe they have researched what that means next off season. It would lead to a complete gutting of this roster and probably make it impossible to keep any of their own FA's (Alexander) or sign any outside FA's. They have only 32 players under contract for next season now and are already over 8M over the projected cap for 2022. A Adams or Smith deal borders on financial suicide.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well yeah, if I'm the MVP and they come to me and say, hey we want to re-do your contract so we save some cap space, but it's still easy to cut you and move on, I'd say hell no.

I'm sure Rodgers wants assurances and the Packers want their cake and to eat it too, save money this year, but keep our options open for next year.

If you had to "pick sides" here it's hard not to lean support towards Rodgers. The FO created this mess by betting against him in the first place and now 12 isn't rolling over and simply reworking his deal in the way that best advantages the FO. 

Can't blame him but it sucks because now we're in a stalemate which has forced us to leverage a bunch of other players' deals just so we can get under the cap, plus we have no money to improve the roster. I get they don't want to extend him with 3 years left on his deal but we shouldn't even be in this situation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well yeah, if I'm the MVP and they come to me and say, hey we want to re-do your contract so we save some cap space, but it's still easy to cut you and move on, I'd say hell no.

I'm sure Rodgers wants assurances and the Packers want their cake and to eat it too, save money this year, but keep our options open for next year.

He wants the pieces around him and the Packers need some of his money for it but he doesn’t want to cough up. He just wants more down the road which he knows, will screw the Packers once he’s gone. I put most of this on him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

He wants the pieces around him and the Packers need some of his money for it but he doesn’t want to cough up. He just wants more down the road which he knows, will screw the Packers once he’s gone. I put most of this on him. 

How? All the Packers had to do was convert roster bonus or base salary to signing bonus. They didn't even need to ask him. They could've created enough to sign any player in FA they wanted. That pushes out guaranteed money though, and makes him harder to cut, so they didn't do it.

The Packers are only looking to benefit the Packers right now, cannot blame the NFL MVP for looking out for himself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How? All the Packers had to do was convert roster bonus or base salary to signing bonus. They didn't even need to ask him. They could've created enough to sign any player in FA they wanted. That pushes out guaranteed money though, and makes him harder to cut, so they didn't do it.

The Packers are only looking to benefit the Packers right now, cannot blame the NFL MVP for looking out for himself.

You do need to ask in order to convert base salary into roster bonus unless that language is specifically in the contract, which it wasn't in Rodgers' case.

It just typically doesn't matter because the player will say yes in literally every instance except potentially this one.

This could be a situation where the Packers want to convert base salary into roster bonus, but Rodgers' won't agree to it unless they add in another guaranteed year. 

So both sides have the goal of making more cap space, but neither will compromise on the extra year. Therefore we don't get extra cap space. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You do need to ask in order to convert base salary into roster bonus unless that language is specifically in the contract, which it wasn't in Rodgers' case.

It just typically doesn't matter because the player will say yes in literally every instance except potentially this one.

This could be a situation where the Packers want to convert base salary into roster bonus, but Rodgers' won't agree to it unless they add in another guaranteed year. 

So both sides have the goal of making more cap space, but neither will compromise on the extra year. Therefore we don't get extra cap space. 

Yes it is on Rodgers contract, literally everyone on the beat has confirmed this. Andrew Brandt said it's in just about every decent sized NFL contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

If you had to "pick sides" here it's hard not to lean support towards Rodgers. The FO created this mess by betting against him in the first place and now 12 isn't rolling over and simply reworking his deal in the way that best advantages the FO. 

Can't blame him but it sucks because now we're in a stalemate which has forced us to leverage a bunch of other players' deals just so we can get under the cap, plus we have no money to improve the roster. I get they don't want to extend him with 3 years left on his deal but we shouldn't even be in this situation. 

It's really not. Dude wants an extra year added with three years left on his deal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes it is on Rodgers contract, literally everyone on the beat has confirmed this. Andrew Brandt said it's in just about every decent sized NFL contract.

I thought Rap Sheet was reporting that it wasn't?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's really not. Dude wants an extra year added with three years left on his deal. 

I don't know if I'd extend him either, but I sure as hell would rework that deal to free up cap and get in position to strike when some vets hit the market again.  It's my understanding that the Packers could have freed up millions without needing Rodgers permission.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know if I'd extend him either, but I sure as hell would rework that deal to free up cap and get in position to strike when some vets hit the market again.  It's my understanding that the Packers could have freed up millions without needing Rodgers permission.

If you convert that 21.5 over, you save 14 this year and he then has a cap hit of 47 million next year. Sure, you can restructure it again, but that makes 2023 miserable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Not to my knowledge. Almost every contract has this language. Especially the high value ones.

That's what I get for only looking at one source I guess. I'm seeing what you're saying elsewhere now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you convert that 21.5 over, you save 14 this year and he then has a cap hit of 47 million next year. Sure, you can restructure it again, but that makes 2023 miserable. 

I keep hearing that Rodgers just wants the Packers to be tied to him past 2021.  As it is now he's kind of viewed as a lame duck because the Packers can bail on him for a 17 million dollar dead cap hit.  He just turned in an MVP season and you'd think the Packers would be game to keep him on board past 2021, but they seem to want to straddle the fence and see how things go.  I get it, but I think the Packers still need to be doing more to give this team a real shot at winning the big one.  In some ways I think Packers lack of a true money bags owner holds us back.  It just doesn't seem we take the extra steps to win titles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...