Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Still way too early to tell with Bakhtiari. And as with many other guys, we'll see some straight line video that makes it look like everything is 100%. But you won't see any change of direction stuff, because that won't happen till the very end of the process

Rob Demovsky -   Asked whether David Bakhtiari and his surgically repaired ACL (torn on New Year's Eve) could be ready for Week 1, GM Brian Gutekunst said: "Nothing would shock me with him. "

Brian Gutekunst on re-signing CB Kevin King: “He’s obviously had his ups and downs with his injury history … (but) we’re better with him on the field than without him.”

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said the team expects to exercise the fifth-round option on CB Jaire Alexander. Not a surprise there. Only question is whether they can do a long-term extension before they get to that fifth year.

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said they "working through" things with Aaron Rodgers and his contract. But he reiterated that "Aaron's our guy. He's going to be our quarterback for the foreseeable future (and) excited for the next couple of years."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Still way too early to tell with Bakhtiari. And as with many other guys, we'll see some straight line video that makes it look like everything is 100%. But you won't see any change of direction stuff, because that won't happen till the very end of the process

if by end of the process you mean at 4-5 months, that is when cutting and change of direction movements can be initiated as other criteria are met.   With a likely early/mid January surgery, this could/should be starting in the next 3-4 weeks.

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

if by end of the process you mean at 4-5 months, that is when cutting and change of direction movements can be initiated as other criteria are met.   With a likely early/mid January surgery, this could/should be starting in the next 3-4 weeks.

I'm no expert on the timeline, but he looked pretty deliberate and careful with that leg movement in the video. I was referring to Jabari Parker and others that had straight line video stuff pretty early on, again, don't remember the exact timeline. Bak didn't look like he was gonna run a 3 cone anytime soon IMO. 3-4 weeks ?? Didn't look like it to me. That, or he is in desperate need of Apollo Creed.

Edited by cannondale

Gutekunst on free agency: “We were able to sign the No. 1 running back on the market, the No. 1 left tackle on the market and the No. 1 defensive tackle on the market ... who just all happen to play for us. Kudos to Ted Thompson for that.”

• Like 6

Gutekunst says he's not sure where question about Rodgers being unhappy with the Packers or him being unhappy with Rodgers is coming from. He said contract situation comes down to handling two-year salary cap anomaly and not just this year. Said they're not done dealing with cap.

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Gutekunst says he's not sure where question about Rodgers being unhappy with the Packers or him being unhappy with Rodgers is coming from. He said contract situation comes down to handling two-year salary cap anomaly and not just this year. Said they're not done dealing with cap.

Nothing has changed ... I still get the idea that the Packers are handing this thing over to Love in 2023.  That gives him a full three years to learn this system and get ready to start.  The Packers will still have two years left on Love's deal to try and make some noise, and one year left on Rodgers contract.  Rodgers will be uber tradeable since the Packers will have a very low cap hit.  Now it's up to Love to try and get to a point where he shows the talent to make the whole thing viable. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Anyone got a link to those Bob Mcginn draft prospect profiles? he used to do it by position.

I got some free peeks earlier in the week from clicking on the pics of his twitter feed. They must have fixed that glitch because now it sends you to a subscribe page. I even tried to clear my browser. No go

6 hours ago, R T said:

I got a laugh at the reporter getting a bit huffy and puffy and asking Gutey to give it to him straight, and tell him  what’s really going on with Rodgers and the team. Firstly, he owes the media nothing. Secondly, why would he put any cards on the table about a guy’s contract only to create animosity and give other teams a competitive advantage by telegraphing any future moves?

AR’s contract is a huge piggy bank to break open (really just to delay the hit). It’s not clear that they will move on or extend but they definitely won’t play that card until they have to.  Gute tightened up a bit and channeled his inner TT givng the, “We don’t talk about contract negotiations in public” line. He should have dropped it right away when the question was asked. Don’t let them break you, Gutey!  Remember the guy who taught you how to play poker and just give them a big smile and a big old slice of nothing when they ask about the team’s internal business. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

I got a laugh at the reporter getting a bit huffy and puffy and asking Gutey to give it to him straight, and tell him  what’s really going on with Rodgers and the team. Firstly, he owes the media nothing. Secondly, why would he put any cards on the table about a guy’s contract only to create animosity and give other teams a competitive advantage by telegraphing any future moves?

AR’s contract is a huge piggy bank to break open (really just to delay the hit). It’s not clear that they will move on or extend but they definitely won’t play that card until they have to.  Gute tightened up a bit and channeled his inner TT givng the, “We don’t talk about contract negotiations in public” line. He should have dropped it right away when the question was asked. Don’t let them break you, Gutey!  Remember the guy who taught you how to play poker and just give them a big smile and a big old slice of nothing when they ask about the team’s internal business. 

I think that was Wilde .. it was ridiculous.

44 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think that was Wilde .. it was ridiculous.

Wilde is a drama queen.  Always has been always will be.  Do like him anyways.  Going on Cheesehead TV now watch Nagler.  Probably the most knowledgable of all the reporters.  Maybe I say that because I almost always agree with him. Voice of reason and tells it like it is.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I know the draft is tomorrow.  But is anyone else excited to see Patrick Taylor at RB this year? He reminds me of James Starks, a lot.  

He looked interesting last year as a prospect but let’s be honest he isn’t seeing any time on the field.

Im more excited to finally see Dillon get more of a work load, as I’m sure he just slots right in to the Jamal Williams role.

6 hours ago, Green19 said:

He looked interesting last year as a prospect but let’s be honest he isn’t seeing any time on the field.

Im more excited to finally see Dillon get more of a work load, as I’m sure he just slots right in to the Jamal Williams role.

You don't think there will be any reps for a 3rd RB? Aaron Jones has only played 16 games once in his career.  Yeah, Dillon is going to be a stud.  I'm just looking forward to seeing a guy that has some potential make it as the third RB.  Perhaps we draft someone better, or one of the other RBs on the roster is better.  I just really want to see if Taylor can bring some of what he had at Memphis to the Packers.