Random Packer News & Notes

48 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Cherry Creek Reservoir, Sloans Lake and Chatfield Reservoir in Denver have some nice beaches.  Ok, maybe not nice, but adequate.  Ok, I agree with you.

Green Bay is by far the smallest city that has a franchise, so naturally there is "less to do."  But everyone is different.  I always live by the rule of: If you're bored, then you're boring.  Want to eat at a better place than Applebee's? Learn to cook Longwell.  

17 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

I don’t mean anything against any of you that live in GB but it’s gotta be the most boring city in the NFL right? 

GB is essentially a second home to me. Compared to Madison I would describe it as:

Having one place to eat really good tacos instead of 7 or 8, but that one place is better and has better ambience than any in Madison.

GB is a bit of a hidden gem, honestly. The downtown area has really been updated and has some good options. The stadium district has what people want in a stadium district. And there's a LOT of nice green space around the city that's never crowded. I almost moved there, and would live there if it had the same employment opportunities as Madison.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Green Bay is by far the smallest city that has a franchise, so naturally there is "less to do."  But everyone is different.  I always live by the rule of: If you're bored, then you're boring.  Want to eat at a better place than Applebee's? Learn to cook Longwell.  

I think some of these guys who might be from smaller towns would enjoy it and maybe even prefer it. It’s not for everyone but most players who end up embracing it describe it as more of a continuation of a “college atmosphere” in that it may be a smaller town but there is one big thing that everything else revolves around. It is truly unique to the world of professional sports.

If you look at it from the perspective of a 22 year old athlete from a bigger city, especially for a young African American, it might not be as appealing. Also, I feel like “less to do” has a lot less to do with dining options and more to do with the talent pool when they go out. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I've lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago (years ago), Wausau, Stevens Point, and Green Bay. Maybe not the most diverse selection, but I can say this without hesitation. Tell everyone you know Green Bay sucks. 😎

Edited by cannondale

Matt Schneidman -   Packers fifth-rounder T.J. Slaton said Green Bay hasn’t been what he expected: “I was expecting to come up here and it be super cold.”

Andy Herman -   One player that really caught my eye last year in training camp who picked right back up where he left off today was Delontae Scott. He’s an interesting player at 6’5” 246 but listed and practicing as a DL. But his quickness always stands out.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -   Packers fifth-rounder T.J. Slaton said Green Bay hasn’t been what he expected: “I was expecting to come up here and it be super cold.”

When I listened to that, all I could think of is "Just wait."  Wisconsin is perfect from about the second week of April until about the first week of November.  Then it gets cold.  

3 hours ago, Leader said:

And the Green Bay schools are ...... better than that

On 5/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, gopackgo972 said:

I don’t mean anything against any of you that live in GB but it’s gotta be the most boring city in the NFL right? 

Probably no worse than Buffalo, Kansas City, or Jacksonville. Of course, if we're controlling for "early 20s dude, most likely a black guy" everything that isn't Miami, LA, or Vegas is probably dull AF. 

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

After Lombardi, Green Bay became a type of NFL purgatory....Players like Aikman openly stated they didn't want to play there....While in Tampa Bay, John Mckay threatened some of his players he would exile them there (GB)....It wasn't until Reggie White signed with us that the stigma abated some....Places like Detroit and Cleveland now have become the uncool place to go and play...

2 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

After Lombardi, Green Bay became a type of NFL purgatory....Players like Aikman openly stated they didn't want to play there....While in Tampa Bay, John Mckay threatened some of his players he would exile them there (GB)....It wasn't until Reggie White signed with us that the stigma abated some....Places like Detroit and Cleveland now have become the uncool place to go and play...

It's amazing how cities "improve" when the team wins. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It's amazing how cities "improve" when the team wins. 

Yeah and this one reason Detroit and Cleveland have languished as a popular place to play.....Winning however doesn't automatically negate the shortcomings mentioned here when it comes to a small, mostly white dominated city.... 

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan
Posted (edited)

All depends on how you're wired, but I found there was less to do in the big city because everything came with a degree of hassle. Exactly how bad do you want to head downtown to the museum ?? I did less because of those hassles. And not many things in life more boring than 2 hours a day sitting in traffic on a 10 mile commute. I did learn cockroaches were indeed a thing, so that was fun. It was no shock to find out every Friday was a Nascar race to the WI / IL border.

Edited by cannondale