Random Packer News & Notes

31 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Probably no worse than Buffalo, Kansas City, or Jacksonville. Of course, if we're controlling for "early 20s dude, most likely a black guy" everything that isn't Miami, LA, or Vegas is probably dull AF. 

Funny coincidence. My buddy texted me "what teams would you be most excited to be a fan of today?" 

And those were my top 3 answers.

22 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Yeah and this one reason Detroit and Cleveland have languished as a popular place to play.....Winning however doesn't automatically negate the shortcomings mentioned here when it comes to a small, mostly white dominated city.... 

Winning maybe doesn't negate shortcomings and small, mostly white cities.  What makes a difference to most players is green ... with lots of zero's.  THAT's what players like the most and can tolerate all the other.

12 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Winning maybe doesn't negate shortcomings and small, mostly white cities.  What makes a difference to most players is green ... with lots of zero's.  THAT's what players like the most and can tolerate all the other.

You're however introducing something that wasn't an issue in the late sixties and some length of time afterwards....It wasn't unusual for players back than to hold offseason jobs...Players from back then are constantly talking about how they wish they could be making today's money....

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Funny coincidence. My buddy texted me "what teams would you be most excited to be a fan of today?" 

The Miami trio or the Buffalo trio? Both  sets have teams I can’t see you rooting for

9 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

You're however introducing something that wasn't an issue in the late sixties and some length of time afterwards....It wasn't unusual for players back than to hold offseason jobs...Players from back then are constantly talking about how they wish they could be making today's money....

Which is exactly my point, players will put up with "little, boring" cities like GB to play in if the greenbacks with lots of zeros are offered.  They can fly/travel anywhere they want but the money still talks, not how the city life is treating them.   

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Which is exactly my point, players will put up with "little, boring" cities like GB to play in if the greenbacks with lots of zeros are offered.  They can fly/travel anywhere they want but the money still talks, not how the city life is treating them.   

I'm still not sure this would have worked for Jim Kelly, John Elway, Eli Manning or Troy Aikman....

18 hours ago, coachbuns said:

My guess is that it is a combination of money and having a team that is in contention for a SB more often than not. That is why I think the Packers FO more long-term approach is actually better than an "all in", short-term approach where you may have a better chance to make it to the SB in a very short window of opportunity, and then suck for a number of years before your next small window opens up. (Denver is an example of this).

22 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Probably no worse than Buffalo, Kansas City, or Jacksonville. Of course, if we're controlling for "early 20s dude, most likely a black guy" everything that isn't Miami, LA, or Vegas is probably dull AF. 

I have only been to Green Bay once to attend a game but living in Kansas City, I'd have to say KC would be a lot less boring and would be more appealing for a player who wants things to do compared to GB. KC is 5-10X bigger than GB, more history, more diversity/different cultures, better night life, etc.  With that being said, I knew what you meant, just felt like I had to chime in being from KC. 

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Funny you say that;  I would consider the Chiefs my "second" team to root for after the Packers since I live in KC. So if all goes to hell in GB, I at least have a decent team to fall back on. Plus not bad being able to enjoy Favre,Rodgers, and Mahomes on teams I root for in my lifetime. 

25 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

Funny you say that;  I would consider the Chiefs my "second" team to root for after the Packers since I live in KC. So if all goes to hell in GB, I at least have a decent team to fall back on. Plus not bad being able to enjoy Favre,Rodgers, and Mahomes on teams I root for in my lifetime. 

I'd say KC is probably my 2nd as well.

13 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

I have only been to Green Bay once to attend a game but living in Kansas City, I'd have to say KC would be a lot less boring and would be more appealing for a player who wants things to do compared to GB. KC is 5-10X bigger than GB, more history, more diversity/different cultures, better night life, etc.  With that being said, I knew what you meant, just felt like I had to chime in being from KC. 

Fun fact: the Green Bay area was first settled by Europeans in 1634. 

And it wasn't a slam on KC. Compare KC to Milwaukee, which everyone in the NBA regards as some sort of cow town where they roll up the streets at 6 pm or something. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Fun fact: the Green Bay area was first settled by Europeans in 1634. 

And it wasn't a slam on KC. Compare KC to Milwaukee, which everyone in the NBA regards as some sort of cow town where they roll up the streets at 6 pm or something. 

I didn't say longer history, just more history.

I didn't take it as a slam(I actually don't care but just using it as an excuse to randomly talk about KC), I know KC isn't a big market by any means even though I would consider it a pretty underrated city. Milwaukee would be more of a comparison for sure and KC was a cowtown but I was responding to being somewhat equal to Green Bay in the boring aspect. I guess it depends how often the players go down to Milwaukee for entertainment which is a decent commute. For the record, I would gladly live in the quiet and boring Green Bay compared to a huge city. 

With all that being said, we have seen GB bring in free agents over the years, even in groups like when we signed the Smiths, Amos, and Turner recently. We have also been able to retain basically all of our successful draft picks. It's not like people get drafted by the Packers and then refuse to resign because they can't stand to be there. I think winning and paying people will bring in players, especially players who have families or have moved on from the night life stuff(which could be a decent amount of players.) You will always get players who want to play in a big city, don't like the cold weather, or want to take the most money which is usually offered by a bad team. I think the narrative would hold more weight if we were having to grossly overpay players or the Packers were sitting there with tons of cap space and just couldn't sign anyone. 

Edited by Victor1124
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Victor1124 said:

we have seen GB bring in free agents over the years, even in groups like when we signed the Smiths, Amos, and Turner recently. We have also been able to retain basically all of our successful draft picks. It's not like people get drafted by the Packers and then refuse to resign because they can't stand to be there. I think winning and paying people will bring in players, especially players who have families or have moved on from the night life stuff(which could be a decent amount of players.) You will always get players who want to play in a big city, don't like the cold weather, or want to take the most money which is usually offered by a bad team. I think the narrative would hold more weight if we were having to grossly overpay players or the Packers were sitting there with tons of cap space and just couldn't sign anyone. 

I think the narrative I hear is "players don't want to go to GB...but once they get there, they don't want to leave." 

And I will admit I don't follow other team's FAs all that much, but there certainly seems to be what I would assume a more-than-fair share of players who express sadness at leaving the organisation/city. 

2 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

I didn't say longer history, just more history.

I didn't take it as a slam(I actually don't care but just using it as an excuse to randomly talk about KC), I know KC isn't a big market by any means even though I would consider it a pretty underrated city. Milwaukee would be more of a comparison for sure and KC was a cowtown but I was responding to being somewhat equal to Green Bay in the boring aspect. I guess it depends how often the players go down to Milwaukee for entertainment which is a decent commute. For the record, I would gladly live in the quiet and boring Green Bay compared to a huge city. 

With all that being said, we have seen GB bring in free agents over the years, even in groups like when we signed the Smiths, Amos, and Turner recently. We have also been able to retain basically all of our successful draft picks. It's not like people get drafted by the Packers and then refuse to resign because they can't stand to be there. I think winning and paying people will bring in players, especially players who have families or have moved on from the night life stuff(which could be a decent amount of players.) You will always get players who want to play in a big city, don't like the cold weather, or want to take the most money which is usually offered by a bad team. I think the narrative would hold more weight if we were having to grossly overpay players or the Packers were sitting there with tons of cap space and just couldn't sign anyone. 

there used to be a ridiculously good bbq joint in town too

so...obviously

GB BBQ >> KC BBQ

• Like 1