Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I'm just pointing out that after two seasons, Mclaurin is 100x the player as Sternberger. We had needs at both positions. I don't fault the pick but so far it's a miss.

But how much were you touting WR McLaurin (went to Washinton the pick after Sternberger) AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT. Drafting is very easy if it's 20/20 hindsight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

That would have been a great swap in hindsight but TEs tend to take longer to get up to pro level and Stern has had enough setbacks to slow his development. I don’t know if he will pan out but this is a big season for him to show something if he doesn’t want his replacement to be knocking at the door. 

Biggest concern with him from last year was the dropped passes. He made a few plays, but by the end of the season he was basically an afterthought and wasn't even on the gameday roster after Dafney took his snaps.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Biggest concern with him from last year was the dropped passes. He made a few plays, but by the end of the season he was basically an afterthought and wasn't even on the gameday roster after Dafney took his snaps.

My biggest concern with him is the multiple concussions he’s already taken in his young career. Hopefully it was just bad luck and he’s able to avoid anything like that going forward but they do have a cumulative effect. His old college teammate Keke took a really rough one at the end of the season, as well. So hopefully they can both have a strong season and keep those ghosts far away. 

Edited by Refugee

On 5/23/2021 at 1:10 PM, Leader said:

Easy to do. He's not done much.

2019 - Six games active/played - 1 reception for 0yds.
2020 - Twelve games active/played - 12 receptions for 114yds.

So - he's had a hard time getting on/staying on the field. Even so, those 2020 numbers are disappointing.
Hopefully this will be his "he gets it, stays relatively healthy and steps it up" year.

I hope he's able to contribute this year and become useful.  I admit I'm not sure I see what role he might play?  I think he was envisioned as a pass-catching guy who could go down the seams and stretch defenses and beat linebackers.  But I'm not sure I envision him winning any run-blocking snaps, and I'm not sure either his in-line or movement blocking is any better than Tonyan, or Dafney or Deguara.  Not sure he has the hands than Tonyan has.  Not sure he has the receiving fluidity that Deguara or Tonyan have.  And not sure that he has the smarts or instincts that any of the other guys have.  

Not really sure I see a role for him other than as next-man-up in the event that Tonyan gets hurt?

On a typical  set with Jones in, Jones +ARod+Adams+MVS+5 linemen = 9 guys, 2 players left to use.  With Dillon, Lazard, Amari, Mercedes, Tonyan, Deguara, Funchess, EQ, Dafney and Sternberger from which to choose two guys, I'm not sure I see many packages where Sternberger would be one of the two preferred choices.  

May be one of those cases where a guy drafted for his WR-style qualities pumps on 20 pounds to get stronger, but loses the mobility that attracted in the first place.  

53 minutes ago, craig said:

I hope he's able to contribute this year and become useful.  I admit I'm not sure I see what role he might play?  I think he was envisioned as a pass-catching guy who could go down the seams and stretch defenses and beat linebackers.  But I'm not sure I envision him winning any run-blocking snaps, and I'm not sure either his in-line or movement blocking is any better than Tonyan, or Dafney or Deguara.  Not sure he has the hands than Tonyan has.  Not sure he has the receiving fluidity that Deguara or Tonyan have.  And not sure that he has the smarts or instincts that any of the other guys have.  

Not really sure I see a role for him other than as next-man-up in the event that Tonyan gets hurt?

On a typical  set with Jones in, Jones +ARod+Adams+MVS+5 linemen = 9 guys, 2 players left to use.  With Dillon, Lazard, Amari, Mercedes, Tonyan, Deguara, Funchess, EQ, Dafney and Sternberger from which to choose two guys, I'm not sure I see many packages where Sternberger would be one of the two preferred choices.  

May be one of those cases where a guy drafted for his WR-style qualities pumps on 20 pounds to get stronger, but loses the mobility that attracted in the first place.  

Not sure he's shown us much to love.  He was a guy coming out of TAM with very little high level experience at the position.  Maybe he has the sort of really slow developmental prospect that Tonyan was but I'm not holding my breath. 

Would be nice for him to show something next year so it's easier to determine whether Tonyan should be retained or not.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Not that this means much, but I LOVED what I saw from him when he was actually on the field the past two years.

He's our quickest tight end when running routes.

Took Bobby what, 3 years to get "it" down?  Here's to hoping that the third year does the trick for Jace.  I think he has a lot of athletic potential as a receiving tight end.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Not sure he has the hands than Tonyan has.  Not sure he has the receiving fluidity that Deguara or Tonyan have.  And not sure that he has the smarts or instincts that any of the other guys have.  

If there was one word that described Jace on the field in college, it was 'smooth'.