Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Aaron Jones, now the longest tenured player in his group, definitely showed up. He gave a heartfelt interview where most questions were about his late father. He was obviously still going through it and the reporters probably meant well but did not let up on the questions to the point where he was tearing up a bit. I hope he goes on a rampage as long as his legs can carry him. Truly a good guy.  I know we don’t ever fully know the players but you can’t really fake the genuineness that is Aaron Jones. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Leader said:

PackersWire - Packers QB Jordan Love off to a good start at OTAs

“I think you can tell he put some work in this offseason on his own,” LaFleur said Tuesday. “The ball is really jumping out of his hand well right now.”

“We’re excited about some of the progress we’ve seen with him, but certainly there’s a long way to go there.”

Love did not get to experience a normal rookie offseason last year as far as going through a full preseason. That would have granted him the opportunity to showcase his skills in a game environment and give the team a better understanding of where he is at in his development. Instead, Love got very few reps as he sat behind Rodgers and backup quarterback Tim Boyle. If he was lucky, Love would get one or two snaps during in-season practices. Love didn’t play a single snap in 2020 after being inactive for all 16 games.

While praising Love, LaFleur also pointed out how much he has matured over the last year, specifically when it comes to his mechanics. LaFleur believes Love approaches the game with the right attitude as he continues to try and make the most out of every opportunity.

“I like his mindset right now,” said LaFleur.

So Love is basically a rookie still

21 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

So Love is basically a rookie still

At least LaFleur and Getsy were working with Love's personal QB coach this entire offseason.  They were dictating to his personal QB coach the things they wanted him to be working on, so at least he'll have that.  

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Should be enough to account for Julio's salary after the trade...😉🤣

The Packers have now pushed 34.8M of salary cap down the road to run this team back, yet their attention ***** QB is probably blown the SB run up. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, R T said:

The Packers have now pushed 34.8M of salary cap down the road to run this team back, yet their attention ***** QB is probably blown the SB run up. 

Just as long as we all remember this when we look back and think of what could have been.

7 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

It's really stunning to think that GB still has to make a move to get under the cap. Or maybe several smaller moves. If AR and/or DA restructures aren't happening, they're going to have to cut elsewhere. 

Yes and no. The Packers are 4.7M under the top 51 with this move, when the regular season hits, the practice squad and player 52 and 53 will count about 4.5M. They have no cushion to work with at the moment, but things will naturally sort itself out from there. If a player or two make strides in some position groups the Packers may well move on from a few players. Examples, Sullivan and Patrick both are in the 2M range on 1 year deals. It is also why I don't think Funchess is on the opening day roster, no need for a 4th or 5th WR who doesn't play ST's and is not a minimum wage guy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Yes and no. The Packers are 4.7M under the top 51 with this move, when the regular season hits, the practice squad and player 52 and 53 will count about 4.5M. They have no cushion to work with at the moment, but things will naturally sort itself out from there. If a player or two make strides in some position groups the Packers may well move on from a few players. Examples, Sullivan and Patrick both are in the 2M range on 1 year deals. It is also why I don't think Funchess is on the opening day roster, no need for a 4th or 5th WR who doesn't play ST's and is not a minimum wage guy.  

So a guy that took last year off (Funchess) doesn't feel like coming to camp in the off season to get acquainted with the new offense and his teammates.  Sounds like a soon to be ex Packer to me.  I bet those wide receivers that did not show were afraid of getting on Rodger's bad side if they showed up...gotta show solidarity with your leader or else he might not throw you the ball.

Just now, minnypackerfan said:

So a guy that took last year off (Funchess) doesn't feel like coming to camp in the off season to get acquainted with the new offense and his teammates.  Sounds like a soon to be ex Packer to me.  I bet those wide receivers that did not show were afraid of getting on Rodger's bad side if they showed up...gotta show solidarity with your leader or else he might not throw you the ball.

Or they are doing as instructed by the NFLPA.

5 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

It cost Funchess 50K for not showing up which will be subtracted from the Packers 2022 cap. The Packers should send him a thank you card for not showing up.  

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

It's really stunning to think that GB still has to make a move to get under the cap. Or maybe several smaller moves. If AR and/or DA restructures aren't happening, they're going to have to cut elsewhere. 

If a restructure with AR isn't happening, that likely means they'll be gaining 23M in cap room when they trade him after June 1. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SSG said:

Or they are doing as instructed by the NFLPA.

Could be...and I'm sure Rodgers did not tell them not to show up, but it seemed like the vast majority of other players showed up.  Just this one group.  That on the surface seems more than just a coincidence.