Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

49 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

So a guy that took last year off (Funchess) doesn't feel like coming to camp in the off season to get acquainted with the new offense and his teammates.  Sounds like a soon to be ex Packer to me.  I bet those wide receivers that did not show were afraid of getting on Rodger's bad side if they showed up...gotta show solidarity with your leader or else he might not throw you the ball.

Yeah .. starting to question how much drive he has for continuing his NFL career.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. starting to question how much drive he has for continuing his NFL career.

Just starting? His only purpose in training camp will be to come up with an injury to collect his whole years salary on IR. Cut him now before it cost 1.2M more on the salary cap.  Dude will never play in another NFL game in his lifetime.  

Ryan Wood -   Montgomery said it was a slow start for Dean Lowry in 2020, but he was very high on how he ended, particularly NFC title game: "Him and Kenny inside dominated that line of scrimmage. I know the outcome wasn't what we wanted, but he was trending in the right direction."

Ryan Wood -   Packers ILB coach Kirk Olivadotti on Oren Burks returning to ILB: "I'm happy that OB is back in there. It's something that we just decided that would be the best spot for him to learn the defense through."

1 minute ago, Chili said:

I'm not a fan of the Lowry restructure. It means we are committed to keeping him this season.

He's one of those guys who the coaches are much higher on than the fans.

He's an inexpensive rotational guy. Not a big deal IMO.

9 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

What does that make his cap hit for next year? And what would be the dead cap to cut him next season?

The Packers added 3 voidable years to his deal. His cap number for 2022 is now 7.922M, dead cap if released in 2022 is 3.934M in 2022 and 1.866M in 2023. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

I'm not a fan of the Lowry restructure. It means we are committed to keeping him this season.

He's one of those guys who the coaches are much higher on than the fans.

And fans for the most part are idiots.   

• Like 2

Ryan Wood -   Mike Smith says he's going to get fake Instagram account to post negative crap about Za'Darius Smith, because it motivates him. Z is fueled by slights, like many of great ones. Smith will go to him each day. "Hey Z, you see what they said about you?"  So keep an eye out for that.

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He tried to parlay that 1 year with the Colts to hit big in FA. It didn't work out as he hurt his shoulder in week 1 and was out for the season.

Whilst Covid was swirling around he had no problems going ahead by signing a 1 yr FA contract with the Packers. Just 3 months later he opted out knowing he could keep his $1m signing bonus. On paper not a big issue because every player has the right to opt out without judgement but the fact is he passed up on playing with Rodgers in one of his best ever seasons which would've helped Funchess hit pay day in FA. He missed out on alot of potential money but as long as it to protect his family, that's fine, nothing more important.

In his season off based on his instagram he clearly kept in shape but he wasn't exactly rigorous with his mask usage. He also travelled to Dubai and just recently holidayed in Hawaii. His actions isn't the look of a guy looking to socially distance to protect his family. Lets call it what it is, he took the opportunity to have a year off knowing he gets to keep his signing bonus. At the end of the day the opportunity to play with Rodgers and hitting big in FA next year are all still on the cards for him (as long he doesn't get cut of course).

He should've been fresh, ready and raring to go and yet he didn't care to turn up and stood to lose 50k. He already got his $1m and the Packers have no leverage over him.  I think he got too comfortable in his two years away from the game.

It's a bad look.

• Like 1