Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Yeah, I get the money thing.  The Packers need to make a decision sooner rather than later in regards to the QB situation.

They keep saying this is not and they won't let it cause a distraction.  Well it will once as we inch closer to camp and that begins with the mandatory mini.   

Are there contracts we can re-structure yet?

3 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Yeah, I get the money thing.  The Packers need to make a decision sooner rather than later in regards to the QB situation.

They keep saying this is not and they won't let it cause a distraction.  Well it will once as we inch closer to camp and that begins with the mandatory mini.   

DA and AR are the biggest piggy banks and we can basically do whatever we want with that money if we're willing to make '22 and beyond more uncomfortable with the cap.  AR is trying to force things to his timeline, we should see by early June what hand the f/o is playing.

12 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Can vets still be stashed on ps?

I think he can. I read something after his signing that mentioned that - which surprised me.
Now - the article didnt state it, but that could be because of last years COVID19 rules that could be changed back before the season starts.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No guaranteed money. A.k.a. "once Aaron is back in town, we'll be sending you on your way Blake." 

Bortles isn't going anywhere this season, if he isn't on the 53 he will be on the PS as insurance all season. 

Peter Bukowski -   LaFleur told this incredible story about getting into it with McVay when they were in LA and the two coaches got into it at practice. After practice LaFleur went to McVay's office and told Sean to fire him. Needless to say he didn't. They "hugged it out."

I didnt realize this.......

Dov Kleiman  -  Some responded to this by saying, "They should've at least let him know there's a chance." - but the Packers did do that. This is from Packers dot com in April.

Gutekunst said pre-draft that he would not hesitate to take a QB in the 1st if a top prospect fell that far.

Even going back to 2019 Draft, they made no secret about having interest in QBs.They held a top 15 pick.

Before the 2020 Draft, when asked about GB possibly taking a QB, Rodgers said: "I'm a realist, and I know where I'm at in my career" and added: "They're not gonna beat me out"

• Aaron Nagler -   It only counts if it's said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I didnt realize this.......

Dov Kleiman  -  Some responded to this by saying, "They should've at least let him know there's a chance." - but the Packers did do that. This is from Packers dot com in April.

Gutekunst said pre-draft that he would not hesitate to take a QB in the 1st if a top prospect fell that far.

Even going back to 2019 Draft, they made no secret about having interest in QBs.They held a top 15 pick.

Before the 2020 Draft, when asked about GB possibly taking a QB, Rodgers said: "I'm a realist, and I know where I'm at in my career" and added: "They're not gonna beat me out"

• Aaron Nagler -   It only counts if it's said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Not only that that in 2019 we were heavily linked with drafting Drew Lock.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Drew-Lock-Green-Bay-Packers-draft--131604123/

NFL dot com Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah had us taking Drew Lock in their mock drafts and I wonder if that was based on some inside information.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/25/heres-who-the-packers-are-taking-in-final-mock-drafts-of-2019/

The Packers even brought him in as one of their 30 allocated draft visits

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/47074/succession-plan-or-subterfuge-why-packers-visited-with-drew-lock

The Broncos traded up ahead of us for him which tells me that our interest in him was real but thankfully this forced us to draft Elgton Jenkins.

The point is reading between the lines, it was no secret that the Packers were exploring their options for life after Rodgers. Even in some of those articles they seemed to agree with the idea that exploring QBs was the prudent thing to do.

Of course Rodgers suddenly blows up for a MVP season and people from all angles attacking the Packers "wasting" their draft pick for Love when just a year before these same people were saying we were being smart looking at the QB options and planning for life after Rodgers.

Rodgers simply jumped on that train despite what Rodgers said in your post and is trying to leverage this situation into a better payday. I think he knew all along that the Packers were exploring their QB options in the past few years.

• Like 1

Rob Demovsky -   Tight end Robert Tonyan has signed his RFA tender. No surprise considering he’s been at OTAs this week.

///

When asked why he signed - given AR's "holdout" - Tonyan replied: "To hell with AR. I'm here to win football games"

:)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 15412 said:

No they don't to the bolded.  As long as Rodgers holds out Love is getting all the reps he needs.  IF you trade Rodgers, wait till the very beginning of TC so his new team is still teaching him their playbook when the season starts.  You want his new team to struggle as much as possible.

17 hours ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   Tight end Robert Tonyan has signed his RFA tender. No surprise considering he’s been at OTAs this week.

///

When asked why he signed - given AR's "holdout" - Tonyan replied: "To hell with AR. I'm here to win football games"

:)

Two things there...

#1, Let's ink a long term deal with Tonyan NOW based on that comment!  :)

#2, If AR comes back, get Tonyan off of your fantasy team, he ain't sniffing half the passes he did last year.