Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Look at the big man move!  I’ll be surprised if he’s not in the lineup week 1.

Bring him along slowly and carefully .. protect him from himself.  That being said, I fully expect him to ready for the NFL season and not missing any games due that knee injury.   

45 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

And yet there are those who think he's the "cat's meow" of cornerbacks.  Not believing it for a second .. show me and I'll reconsider. 

I can not emphasize this enough man, it's OTAs for an established vet. It means nothing. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, R T said:

Samuels is at OTA's. 

So RT said he is at OTA's.  But a subsequent Demovsky tweet said he wasn't.  Or Hollman either.  Is RT correct, and Demovsky just missed them?  

RT, are you confident that Samuels was actually there?  And if Demovsky got Samuels wrong, did he perhaps get Hollman wrong too? 

Those guys are bubble/back-of-roster contenders in the first place, so I'm sure wouldn't skip OTA's without a good reason.  *IF* they were indeed absent as Demovsky reported, that would probably reflect some unknown injuries of unknown duration/severity. 

How many corners does a normal roster have?  6 in an average year, I'm thinking, with 5 safeties?  Or is that too many?  My feeling is that the cornerback group may not be that strong/deep on the back end.   

4 locks:  Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan. 

Others:  Jackson, Jean-Charles, Ento, Hollman, Samuels

Anybody have any info on Degaura?  Seems an eternity ago since the start of last season when he got injured.  I admit I'd have hoped he'd be all healed by now and participating fully.  For a guy who was never an overwhelming physical specimen in the first place, he may not have much cushion to return at any reduction in physical capacity.  

Hopefully he's really close to being ready, and will be full-go 100% very soon.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, craig said:

So RT said he is at OTA's.  But a subsequent Demovsky tweet said he wasn't.  Or Hollman either.  Is RT correct, and Demovsky just missed them?  

RT, are you confident that Samuels was actually there?  And if Demovsky got Samuels wrong, did he perhaps get Hollman wrong too? 

Those guys are bubble/back-of-roster contenders in the first place, so I'm sure wouldn't skip OTA's without a good reason.  *IF* they were indeed absent as Demovsky reported, that would probably reflect some unknown injuries of unknown duration/severity. 

How many corners does a normal roster have?  6 in an average year, I'm thinking, with 5 safeties?  Or is that too many?  My feeling is that the cornerback group may not be that strong/deep on the back end.   

4 locks:  Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan. 

Others:  Jackson, Jean-Charles, Ento, Hollman, Samuels

Demovsky later tweeted, 

Samuels just came out of the Hutson. Appears he’s in the rehab group. 

Your thinking for 'normal roster' is fairly accurate, but the Packers have been keeping 12 DB's on the opening 53 in recent years. Is that 7 CB's and 5 S's or 6 and 6? Or maybe only 11 DB this year? That will all depend on who wins those last 5 spots on the 53 man roster regardless of position. Yet to be determined.  

Note on Deguara, he was working in the rehab group yesterday. 

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Man, whoever this Watt guy is, too bad we never had a shot at him. 😉

But look at Rashan...😳. This could be his big breakout year coming up.

We all should be a lot more mad than we are that we passed on TJ Watt for Kevin King, that was a disastrous decision.

Just now, HeresAGuy said:

We all should be a lot more mad than we are that we passed on TJ Watt for Kevin King, that was a disastrous decision.

We really shouldn't be.

It's been 5 years. You could pick a better player at 99.5% of NFL draft picks in history. We don't have heart burn about any of them.

That's life in the NFL.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HeresAGuy said:

Packers should learn and move on and not give a **** that somebody might be mad they may have ****ed up a draft pick half a decade ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Demovsky later tweeted, 

Samuels just came out of the Hutson. Appears he’s in the rehab group. 

Your thinking for 'normal roster' is fairly accurate, but the Packers have been keeping 12 DB's on the opening 53 in recent years. Is that 7 CB's and 5 S's or 6 and 6? Or maybe only 11 DB this year? That will all depend on who wins those last 5 spots on the 53 man roster regardless of position. Yet to be determined.  

Note on Deguara, he was working in the rehab group yesterday. 

Thanks!  Good to know.  I've thought that he might be an interesting potential development guy, and eventually find some kind of NFL role.  

Yeah, *if* they keep 6 or even 7 CB, Jackson, Jean-Charles, Ento, Hollman, Samuels would be competing for 2 or perhaps even 3 spots.  With Samuels rehabbing from something, and Hollman injured besides, Shemar could hardly have gotten drafted into an easier roster to compete for a spot.  Often an end-of-5th-round draft pick has a pretty challenging time to make a 53-man roster.  But man he's got a pretty direct path, a relatively wide-open window-of-opportunity.  

I'm kinda curious about whether Ento will be a very serious rival for a 53-man spot?  Did he play a year of corner in college?  Or did the Packers convert him only after his college career?  Hard to develop a ton at a brand-new position when you're injured for most of the two years with the team.  

36 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks!  Good to know.  I've thought that he might be an interesting potential development guy, and eventually find some kind of NFL role.  

Yeah, *if* they keep 6 or even 7 CB, Jackson, Jean-Charles, Ento, Hollman, Samuels would be competing for 2 or perhaps even 3 spots.  With Samuels rehabbing from something, and Hollman injured besides, Shemar could hardly have gotten drafted into an easier roster to compete for a spot.  Often an end-of-5th-round draft pick has a pretty challenging time to make a 53-man roster.  But man he's got a pretty direct path, a relatively wide-open window-of-opportunity.  

I'm kinda curious about whether Ento will be a very serious rival for a 53-man spot?  Did he play a year of corner in college?  Or did the Packers convert him only after his college career?  Hard to develop a ton at a brand-new position when you're injured for most of the two years with the team.  

Ento didn't play DB at Colorado. The Packers converted him on day one of rookie minicamp, similar to what they did with Sam Shields.  

12 minutes ago, R T said:

Ento didn't play DB at Colorado. The Packers converted him on day one of rookie minicamp, similar to what they did with Sam Shields.  

Thanks for clarifying.  Yeah, I recall being intrigued with his developmental possibilities.  But man it's hard to imagine him having developed optimally with his injuries and with so little actual on-field time to even practice.  But would he ever be a great human-interest story if he did emerge as a quality NFL corner who earned a roster spot this year, and by next year was playing winning snaps in real games?  I love those stories.  

• Like 1