Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

The missing link for me.......with specific focus on Osaka (not Favre) - couldn't care less about his thoughts.

Has anybody fully explained how these press conferences have a bearing on depression?

Cant say I take in a whole bunch of tennis player pressers......but what I remember seeing wasnt some rough and tumble assault on the player. Perhaps they've changed?

As for the "social anxiety" side of things - I find it hard to connect the dots on the pressers exacerbating social anxiety issues - when her career depends solely on her performing - alone - in pressure situations - front of thousands of people.

In short form......I'm not getting the issue.

Short form #2 - I think the players should talk to the media - unless - some concrete cause & effect can be discerned between doing so and that person's mental health.

"I'd rather not cause it bums me out" doesnt work for me.

It is difficult to explain.  My body and brain don't differentiate the negative "anxiety" and the positive "excited" responses.  So if you and I are planning to go to the all you can eat pizza buffet and try to clean them out, the normal response is: "this is going to be fun!" I get the same response from that as: "I almost got hit by that car!"   My guess is that she gets real amped up to play, and it doesn't necessarily feel good, but she also gets just as amped up to answer questions, and it is uncomfortable to a level where she CAN'T do it, not she doesn't want to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

The missing link for me.......with specific focus on Osaka (not Favre) - couldn't care less about his thoughts.

Has anybody fully explained how these press conferences have a bearing on depression?

Cant say I take in a whole bunch of tennis player pressers......but what I remember seeing wasnt some rough and tumble assault on the player. Perhaps they've changed?

As for the "social anxiety" side of things - I find it hard to connect the dots on the pressers exacerbating social anxiety issues - when her career depends solely on her performing - alone - in pressure situations - front of thousands of people.

In short form......I'm not getting the issue.

Short form #2 - I think the players should talk to the media - unless - some concrete cause & effect can be discerned between doing so and that person's mental health.

"I'd rather not cause it bums me out" doesnt work for me.

1 introverts and people with social anxiety don’t practice talking to millions of people at press conferences 12 hours a day like she does tennis.

2 she’s literally speaking to millions of people at these press conferences, which would terrify anyone. People with social anxiety view these situations differently than you. Imagine when you first had a crush on someone, and you freaked out about every little thing that you did around that person. You ruminated on every moment of every interaction with that person. Now imagine doing that anytime you’re in a social situation. Now imagine interacting with millions of people through press conferences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My body and brain don't differentiate the negative "anxiety" and the positive "excited" responses.

Actually, it does....

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So if you and I are planning to go to the all you can eat pizza buffet and try to clean them out..

Actually, I'd never join you. I'd make the mental calculation that I could never clean them out and decide it foolish to try.   So, I'd beg out some how: "Sorry...busy....maybe next time...but you enjoy yourself"

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My guess is that she gets real amped up to play, and it doesn't necessarily feel good, but she also gets just as amped up to answer questions, and it is uncomfortable to a level where she CAN'T do it, not she doesn't want to.

Again, If somebody's clinically depressed - thats a thing. Thats where Doctors come in. If she classifys - then the Tour should probably make an exception. But, I'd mandate she tender proof - privately.  Again, if its nothing more than "I dont feel like it" - sorry, but your professional career - one for which you glean sizeable cash - entails more than you hitting a yellow ball in between the lines.

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

1 introverts and people with social anxiety don’t practice talking to millions of people at press conferences 12 hours a day like she does tennis.

They're not talking to millions of people. She's in a room of people - after having just competed in front of thousands more.

Add on: Has Osaka done articles for news or magazines? Similar circumstance - she's talking to a few people yet her words will be read by many. Does that experience trigger her anxiety? Depression? Has she stopped doing them as well?

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Thats a bummer. Is there a pill for that?

I am on an SSRI, which helps mitigate the issue.  But I have to step back and take a moment to control myself if I am going to try a new restaurant or go to a baseball game and realize that I am excited and not scared.  I also have a huge issue traveling.  I have extended my range recently by doing little day trips.  Something simple like going to lunch at McDonalds an hour away.  But there is like a 0% chance that I could just go to Indianapolis this weekend, for example.

With Funchess coming  back for mandatory portion of the off season, will we see the rest of the WRs follow suit?  They have created a bit of a story line and will have to answer some questions in the media about it, as well.  17 and of course 12 are the players everyone is waiting to see but the rest of the wideouts would be wise to be there, imho. It’s possible we go lighter at WR than previous years if we really like our RB/TE rooms who can generally contribute more on ST. 

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am on an SSRI, which helps mitigate the issue.  But I have to step back and take a moment to control myself if I am going to try a new restaurant or go to a baseball game and realize that I am excited and not scared.  I also have a huge issue traveling.  I have extended my range recently by doing little day trips.  Something simple like going to lunch at McDonalds an hour away.  But there is like a 0% chance that I could just go to Indianapolis this weekend, for example.

Well......(again)....that actually is a bummer. Good that you're under professional care and in some protocol / regimen intended to alleviate / mitigate the issues. Nothing but the best of luck and encouragement for you to push the envelope - rather than let it envelope you and you wind up sitting alone in a dark room.

But you've put the issue with Osaka into stark relief.

If she could verify she's under similar care - then I suspect the Tour will let her be.

Btw....work on that % of travelling to Indy. Make it a goal 👍

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

With Funchess coming  back for mandatory portion of the off season, will we see the rest of the WRs follow suit?  They have created a bit of a story line and will have to answer some questions in the media about it, as well.  17 and of course 12 are the players everyone is waiting to see but the rest of the wideouts would be wise to be there, imho. It’s possible we go lighter at WR than previous years if we really like our RB/TE rooms who can generally contribute more on ST. 

It's probably just me, but I dont see the players staging a "sit out" because of this Rodgers stuff.

The guy has issues with his contract - so he may sit out to force the issue - but its not like ARs contract issues are the first to occur and in past instances, how many other players joined in a sit out? I cant remember any.

Because media is such a large part what finances big events (and why the prizes for doing well or even winning are the size they are), they (the media) expect a minimum of availability from the sports stars, which is a part of the 'deal'.

It's a tricky tightrope to walk. I am pretty contemptuous of much of the media, but their coverage is what pays for big prizes at big events. So if you want the big prize, the interviews are a consequence of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's probably just me, but I dont see the players staging a "sit out" because of this Rodgers stuff.

Funchess has already said he's attending. I expect all the others to, as well. Rodgers has the kind of money to skip as much as he wants. Most of the receivers do not.............and while Adams does earn big bucks, I doubt he sits out compulsory OTAs when the other receivers are attending (as I expect them to). They all stayed out together, so they will probably all attend together.

• Like 1