Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm sure everyone in the media/fan base will react calmly and reasonably after Love's first minicamp practice...

Not surprised by this at all considering how little time Jordan Love had with the first or second team all of last year.  Matt was not around during Aaron's first 2 years where in pre-season games he short hopped simple down and out pass patterns repeatedly.  In year 3 you could see a big difference in terms of mechanics, accuracy, and decision making.  Hopefully we can give Love a little time to put it all together.   

Scott Grodsky -  “Obviously I’m praying that he comes back, we all want him back.” - Davante Adams on Aaron Rodgers.

Ryan Wood -   Davante Adams on the growth he's seen from Jordan Love: "I truly can't answer that. I can't talk about growth over the course of an hour and a half practice. That's tough." He says Love is "very locked in, and I've noticed that," but might take until camp until he really knows.

Wes Hodkiewicz -   Funchess, summing up every guy in the 18-34 demo, on what's changed with him the most over the past 1.5 years: "I just grew this beard, bro. I got get used to this beard."

///

I think that means that the past 1.5 years have been fairly uneventful.

Wish we had the numbers on Campbell.  Not going to pretend I know much about his game, but on paper he's been healthy and relatively productive.  Hard to say what he got on the open market though, and the cost determines my happiness a lot here.  Big 2019, signs a 1 year prove it deal in 2020, and then he's back on the market having neither proved it or not, really.  My personal guess is something like 2 years, $8 million, but it's equally likely to be another 1 year deal I think. 

Biggest question to me is with Martin.  Campbell and Martin have pretty similar profiles in enough ways that you gotta wonder if Campbell is supposed to be a stop gap or replacement for Martin.  Campbell's a little better in coverage, Martin's a little wilder in the hole, but they're both big body, long arm types who can move.  Regardless, Campbell/Barnes should be a solid enough pairing in 2021 if none of the other young guys find another level.

22 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Wish we had the numbers on Campbell.  Not going to pretend I know much about his game, but on paper he's been healthy and relatively productive.  Hard to say what he got on the open market though, and the cost determines my happiness a lot here.  Big 2019, signs a 1 year prove it deal in 2020, and then he's back on the market having neither proved it or not, really.  My personal guess is something like 2 years, $8 million, but it's equally likely to be another 1 year deal I think. 

Biggest question to me is with Martin.  Campbell and Martin have pretty similar profiles in enough ways that you gotta wonder if Campbell is supposed to be a stop gap or replacement for Martin.  Campbell's a little better in coverage, Martin's a little wilder in the hole, but they're both big body, long arm types who can move.  Regardless, Campbell/Barnes should be a solid enough pairing in 2021 if none of the other young guys find another level.

I think they like Martin and no way they are ready to replace him with that potential on that rookie contract. It’s just not a room you want to be completely green, a great ILB is as good at diagnosis as they are an athlete. It’s also a position that gets dinged up pretty often, availability is still a ? forMartin. Too soon for his replacement, Burks on the other hand needs to play more than just ST to justify hanging around. 

Edited by Refugee

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Kind of my thoughts also. Is he there to take Martin's spot or just add depth? If he is a depth piece, he doesn't bring much extra to the table. For a third day LB pick who should be a regular STer, well he has never been that in the NFL and if he is a depth piece he needs to be a regular on all the ST's in GB.

His rookie season he played a total of 34 ST's snaps or 7% of the total. Second season he played 16 games and played 10 ST's snaps or 2%, third season 42 ST's snaps or 10%. Season 4 was 16% and last season 17%. Those numbers would suggest he is being brought in to play from scrimmage and that is disappointing for those that believe that Martin has a bright future at that spot in the defense.  

49 minutes ago, R T said:

Those numbers would suggest he is being brought in to play from scrimmage and that is disappointing for those that believe that Martin has a bright future at that spot in the defense.  

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I hate the argument against signing proven veteran players because we need to give reps to a young guy who isn't ready to play yet. Especially for a team trying to win a SB. 

Martin will get his snaps. This room desperately needed a vet add regardless and if Campbell is the better player right now, then I'm glad he's here. Doesn't mean Martin won't have a bright future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I hate the argument against signing proven veteran players because we need to give reps to a young guy who isn't ready to play yet. Especially for a team trying to win a SB. 

Martin will get his snaps. This room desperately needed a vet add regardless and if Campbell is the better player right now, then I'm glad he's here. Doesn't mean Martin won't have a bright future. 

Assuming a fair amount there. Don't believe an argument against signing veteran players was being made. The point that seems to be missed is that Campbell basically hasn't played ST's and if a LB is going to be a depth piece, 3rd or 4th LB to play from scrimmage he needs to be a mainstay on ST's. Thought that was fairly clear in my posting.  

Or are you one of those guys that thinks every marginal player from another team is better than anyone on the Packers roster that isn't on your short list that you hero worship.  

9 hours ago, Leader said:

He's been ripping on Green Bay - as both an entity itself (small, conservative, old money, stuck in their ways, no owner yadayadayada.....) and a destination for free agents (nobody wants to be/go there....) - and with regard to this specific circumstance - the front office (bad culture, no communication, stuck in their ways <again>, the GM's gotta go.....)

Namely - he's been blowing AR on national TV.

Interestingly, it was Bucky Brooks who first put Cowherd in his place with a different take on what he'd been spewing...and as this becomes more "fixable" - Cowherd's been trying to find ways to walk back his positions. Still in AR's court - just stopped blowing him.

He's been doing this GB **** well on a decade, at his end at ESPN he flat out admitted it was because of social media and how he enjoyed pissing our fans off because they would get so mad on Twitter lol. I do think he eased up on GB and overall after he moved on. There's the ****head on NFLN with the stupid *** cartoon plugged nose *** voice who does that same ****, but for different reasons (as I understand). There's SOME truth to it but again, this is what the media does all over the place nowadays. It is what it is, sadly as much as Colin can bother me, he's still better than most of what's on ESPN at the same time slot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, R T said:

...Or are you one of those guys that thinks every marginal player from another team is better than anyone on the Packers roster that isn't on your short list that you hero worship.  

RT, my friend, this might be more a question to ask to Gute, MLF, Barry, and Olivetti (sp?)?   They make decisions and might make bad ones, or make reasonably logical ones that don't work out, but I doubt they made the decision thoughtlessly or without a reasonable degree of logic involved.  I assume they evaluated, and made the decision to sign the guy for some reason(s) at the unknown price that he cost? Why?

As you note, it would not appear to be primarily as a ST guy.  

Cost:  My expectation is that it's quite low.  He's been on the market without getting signed, so I assume he needed to settle for a team-friendly deal. 

He's been starting for a lot of years, and was given $6M for last year, so his previous teams must have thought he was kinda OK enough to get all those starts.  

Pettine typically averaged 1.4 ILB/snap.  I assume Barry won't shift that much, but what do I know, maybe he will bump that a little, maybe 1.5?  

Barnes and Martin were much injured, and ILB is a pretty injury-prone position.  But having three options to rotate and handle ~1.5 ILB-per-snap seems like a reasonable plan.  

I don't understand the position, or what Barry wants from it.   A question I've asked about is whether Barnes and Martin were a fit playing together on 2-ILB snaps?  Were they complementary, or maybe not?  Packers are better at evaluating that than I am.  I hope this doesn't mean the Packers think Barnes+Martin are NOT complementary enough and won't be useful playing together in 2-ILB sets.  I don't really know what the distinctive skillsets and profiles are for the three guys, but I'm maybe naively trusting that Gute does?  

MLF always talks about competition, and every game is a matchup game.  Having competition, injury-insurance, and some variations in skill-sets for different matchups might perhaps be logic factors for Gute and MLF?  

2 hours ago, craig said:

RT, my friend, this might be more a question to ask to Gute, MLF, Barry, and Olivetti (sp?)?   They make decisions and might make bad ones, or make reasonably logical ones that don't work out, but I doubt they made the decision thoughtlessly or without a reasonable degree of logic involved.  I assume they evaluated, and made the decision to sign the guy for some reason(s) at the unknown price that he cost? Why?

Cost:  My expectation is that it's quite low.  He's been on the market without getting signed, so I assume he needed to settle for a team-friendly deal. 

He's been starting for a lot of years, and was given $6M for last year, so his previous teams must have thought he was kinda OK enough to get all those starts.  

Pettine typically averaged 1.4 ILB/snap.  I assume Barry won't shift that much, but what do I know, maybe he will bump that a little, maybe 1.5?  

Barnes and Martin were much injured, and ILB is a pretty injury-prone position.  But having three options to rotate and handle ~1.5 ILB-per-snap seems like a reasonable plan.  

I don't understand the position, or what Barry wants from it.   A question I've asked about is whether Barnes and Martin were a fit playing together on 2-ILB snaps?  Were they complementary, or maybe not?  Packers are better at evaluating that than I am.  I hope this doesn't mean the Packers think Barnes+Martin are NOT complementary enough and won't be useful playing together in 2-ILB sets.  I don't really know what the distinctive skillsets and profiles are for the three guys, but I'm maybe naively trusting that Gute does?  

MLF always talks about competition, and every game is a matchup game.  Having competition, injury-insurance, and some variations in skill-sets for different matchups might perhaps be logic factors for Gute and MLF?  

Not claiming it is a good decision or a bad decision if they do sign him, simply attempting to read the tea leaves was all. If he is signed it will be to take one of the 4 roster spots (maybe 5) and that suggests a starters spot for him since he basically doesn't play ST's. A starter spot means the Packers already do not feel Martin is ready for a full time role. So the LB spots are probably decided before TC even begins with Barnes, Campbell, Martin and Summers, who has been taking first team reps, to the 53. If Campbell is signed it is highly likely the end of the road for Burks and McDuffie is PS material at best regardless of how well they play in TC and preseason games.  

7 hours ago, craig said:

Guys, it's minicamp. 

You need 90 warm bodies. 

Bringing in a high ceiling, athletic, experienced, young player to compete with an underwhelming room is a good thing. It doesn't necessarily mean anything for the final 53. 

Lord knows our ILB is far from proven enough to call it locked down. Let the guys compete. 

• Like 2