Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, R T said:

Or are you one of those guys that thinks every marginal player from another team is better than anyone on the Packers roster that isn't on your short list that you hero worship.  

I think you'd have to be blind to see that a guy like Campbell, while not other-worldly, is a major upgrade at the position over guys like Burks, Summers, McDuffie, etc. That leaves two names left, Barnes and Martin. Both are young and inexperienced even despite playing quite a bit last season. Adding a veteran was a no-brainer, didn't have to be Campbell, but I do think he's a step up from a guy like B.J. Goodson or Antonio Morrison. Think Kirksey but without missing the last year-and-a-half of football due to injury. 

Come September, the ILB should look something like Barnes, Campbell, Martin, Summers and either Burks or McDuffie. Burks is a decent ST but he's bordeline unplayable on defense. I think McDuffie probably shows enough on specials to make Burks expendable. Summers is at least serviceable. Keep bringing Martin along, but your day-1 starters are Barnes and Campbell. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I think you'd have to be blind to see that a guy like Campbell, while not other-worldly, is a major upgrade at the position over guys like Burks, Summers, McDuffie, etc. That leaves two names left, Barnes and Martin. Both are young and inexperienced even despite playing quite a bit last season. Adding a veteran was a no-brainer, didn't have to be Campbell, but I do think he's a step up from a guy like B.J. Goodson or Antonio Morrison. Think Kirksey but without missing the last year-and-a-half of football due to injury. 

Come September, the ILB should look something like Barnes, Campbell, Martin, Summers and either Burks or McDuffie. Burks is a decent ST but he's bordeline unplayable on defense. I think McDuffie probably shows enough on specials to make Burks expendable. Summers is at least serviceable. Keep bringing Martin along, but your day-1 starters are Barnes and Campbell. 

Nice confession. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-de-vondre-campbell

Packers released Mike Weber (RB) to make room. 

Definitely makes sense with the projected starters barely having 16 NFL games between them. I think he could really help that room and we will see what Barry does differently with the ILB position in this defense. 

Best of luck to Mike, seems like a good guy to have at the bbq but had a long way to go to make this roster. Dexter Williams sweating it out on RB Island. 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What do the internet minds think? Is Campbell what we want Burks to be?

If by that you mean a guy who can actually play ILB and not just ST, then yes. I have no idea if he can cover but he has started and made plays there.  Instincts are just as valuable at that position as athleticism as evidenced by Burks not showing he’s able to do it. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-de-vondre-campbell

Packers released Mike Weber (RB) to make room. 

As expected.

Speaking of RBs, After the draft I watched college highlights of Taylor, Hill, Williams and Weber and it was clear that Weber was the weakest of the group, his lack of power really stood out. So seeing him get cut today did not surprise me.

As for De'Vondre Campbell, I would be surprised if we keep more than 3 ILB on the roster. That's Martin, Barnes and one more. By all accounts Campbell offers zero ST value so he would have to establish himself as a starter in order to make the roster. When talking about ST for linebackers the main names to look out for is Summers, Burks and McDuffie. I have no idea if Martin or Barnes have any ST prowess.

It's nice to see the Packers finally adding height, speed and athleticism at ILB. First Martin and now Campbell. It is long overdue.

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

As for De'Vondre Campbell, I would be surprised if we keep more than 3 ILB on the roster. That's Martin, Barnes and one more. By all accounts Campbell offers zero ST value so he would have to establish himself as a starter in order to make the roster. When talking about ST for linebackers the main names to look out for is Summers, Burks and McDuffie. I have no idea if Martin or Barnes have any ST prowess.

Didnt both Barnes and Martin miss games last year? I'm pretty sure they did. Dont know much about Campbell - but apparently he's been able to stay on the field.

Ryan Wood -    Matt LaFleur on Jordan Love's big day: "You can never get too high, and never get too low, in this game." He says it's important for Love to focus play by play and strive for consistency. So, LaFleur taking things in stride.

///

I like MLF and dont think the GB FO gets enough credit for getting his hire right.
AR gets all the credit and he is the one handling things at the LOS - but it's MLF's system.