Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's most efficient to burn off said beer as you consume it. Although I do remember your recent rant where you proclaimed that everyone thinks you're fat, but in fact you are not fat, so something must be working there for you.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

It's all that sex he does :)

This guy gets it.

But no. That's not it. Lol

I don't eat lunch. Maybe that's it

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He charted 50 players, and Keke finished 21st. Why did he only chart 50 players?

There are only somewhere between 32 and 64 starting interior defensive linemen in the NFL. Maybe he had some snap threshold that only 50 met?

3 hours ago, GBPFan said:

There are only somewhere between 32 and 64 starting interior defensive linemen in the NFL. Maybe he had some snap threshold that only 50 met?

HFS, this was the last post in this forum and it was 3 hours ago. Wow, is the weather actually nice in Wisconsin today or something?

• Like 1

A few random thoughts. 

Nothing concerning, but it is interesting that every year there is a hang up with many teams and signing their 3rd round draft pick. Every pick is signed for the Packers except Amari Rodgers and if this turns out like most other years, this will go well into July before he does sign. 

I haven't seen anyone in the Packers media report the signing bonus numbers for the UDFA's the Packers signed post draft, but here they are for anyone who is interested. Gaither, Heflin and Uphoff each received 7K, Cronk 6K, Dietzen and Kemp 5K and Capra 4.5K. 

With the Packers adding a 5th QB for training camp makes me believe that the Packers really don't have a good idea if Rodgers is showing for the start of training camp or not. If Rodgers shows, it will in all likelihood be the end for Dolegala or Benkert. 

With the Packers carrying a 5th QB and 2 LS's, P's and K's, that is 4 spots taken away from position players on the 90 man roster. I would expect that within a week or less of camp we will see a few of those let go and a few players added to positions that are a little light in numbers. Mainly a DL and RB.   

1 hour ago, R T said:

If Rodgers shows, it will in all likelihood be the end for Dolegala or Benkert. 

Switch "or" to "and" on this one.

Also, I'm willing to bet you'll see another ILB, DB, or EDGE added before another RB. We've quietly got a very strong room and we've been cutting RB's to make room for players at other positions.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Switch "or" to "and" on this one.

Also, I'm willing to bet you'll see another ILB, DB, or EDGE added before another RB. We've quietly got a very strong room and we've been cutting RB's to make room for players at other positions.

The current 90 man roster makeup is QB-5 , RB-5 , WR-12 , TE/FB-7 , OL-16 , DL-7 , EDGE-8 , LB-8 , DB-16 , ST-6

Since 2012 when TC rosters were increased from 80 to 90 the Packers have always had 6 or 7 RB's in TC, most of the time 7. The strength of a room has nothing to do with numbers in TC, it is about the right number of bodies needed to run a quality practice and avoid injuries by not over taxing individuals by shorting a position of players.

Eight is a pretty standard number for both the ILB and EDGE player groups, DB's has been 17 the last couple of seasons before COVID. DL is normally 8 or 9 and I would think the coaching staff may be OK with that number for rushing drills in practices with EDGE players taking a high number of those snaps in drills, but very doubtful they want to go though preseason games with that few DL players, that would be asking for trouble.    

As for QB's, there is no way they are going to TC with only 3 QB's when Rodgers shows up. So yes it is an "or" and not an "and". 

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -   Spotrac estimates Davante Adams could get $25M/year on new extension.

Love Davante, but I hope we don't give a WR about 12% of the cap. I understand the first year will have a smaller cap number, but it's nuts to do that IMO. 

15 hours ago, R T said:

The current 90 man roster makeup is QB-5 , RB-5 , WR-12 , TE/FB-7 , OL-16 , DL-7 , EDGE-8 , LB-8 , DB-16 , ST-6

Since 2012 when TC rosters were increased from 80 to 90 the Packers have always had 6 or 7 RB's in TC, most of the time 7. The strength of a room has nothing to do with numbers in TC, it is about the right number of bodies needed to run a quality practice and avoid injuries by not over taxing individuals by shorting a position of players.

Eight is a pretty standard number for both the ILB and EDGE player groups, DB's has been 17 the last couple of seasons before COVID. DL is normally 8 or 9 and I would think the coaching staff may be OK with that number for rushing drills in practices with EDGE players taking a high number of those snaps in drills, but very doubtful they want to go though preseason games with that few DL players, that would be asking for trouble.    

As for QB's, there is no way they are going to TC with only 3 QB's when Rodgers shows up. So yes it is an "or" and not an "and". 

I think the easiest cuts will be made once they decide how long they want to keep the ST competition going. I understand wanting to see them play in preseason but so much of that operation can be judged in a bubble.  If the LS, P,K are getting it done in practice, I think you can feel confident you’re getting a good read on their ability.

K, I wonder if they just want to take some reps off of Mason’s leg because he seems to be a lock. P, well Scott should feel some heat after inconsistent performance. LS, I don’t know or particularly care but whoever it is, I want them to choose ASAP so that guy gets as many reps with the unit as possible. 

If they free up those 3 spots, we have a lot more flexibility while we go through our QB soap opera that hopefully gets resolved when 12 gets back to work. 

Edited by Refugee

40 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That and the fact that you can test two long snappers and holders at the same time, rather than devoting double time to the reps.

While that’s true, you can still evaluate a snap and hold without it ending in a kick. Those guys can practice 1000 reps off to the side if they need to and then come in when they practice ST with the blocking etc.  I appreciate coaches sending a message to those guys but will feel better when they just make a decision so we can streamline the whole operation and get back valuable roster spots.