Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 hours ago, R T said:

The current 90 man roster makeup is QB-5 , RB-5 , WR-12 , TE/FB-7 , OL-16 , DL-7 , EDGE-8 , LB-8 , DB-16 , ST-6

Since 2012 when TC rosters were increased from 80 to 90 the Packers have always had 6 or 7 RB's in TC, most of the time 7. The strength of a room has nothing to do with numbers in TC, it is about the right number of bodies needed to run a quality practice and avoid injuries by not over taxing individuals by shorting a position of players.

Eight is a pretty standard number for both the ILB and EDGE player groups, DB's has been 17 the last couple of seasons before COVID. DL is normally 8 or 9 and I would think the coaching staff may be OK with that number for rushing drills in practices with EDGE players taking a high number of those snaps in drills, but very doubtful they want to go though preseason games with that few DL players, that would be asking for trouble.    

As for QB's, there is no way they are going to TC with only 3 QB's when Rodgers shows up. So yes it is an "or" and not an "and". 

I certainly get the injury argument and the practice argument, but Rodgers will most likely show up late in camp IF he shows up; ergo, both QB's would be cut with Bortles fighting to make a case for QB3.

I do agree that we should have way more IDL on our current roster, especially if we run fronts with an IDL playing the 4i role not to mention how poorly that group has performed as a group the past decade. I'm also sure that we can do better than Anthony Rush in signing guys to the 90-man roster when a position is open.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

You're now going to get your *** whooped by a punter for the bad karma you just put on yourself

You’re right, I wouldn’t want to get on JK’s bad side.  We should run 3 punter combo plays, have the other team’s head spinning.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

You’re right, I wouldn’t want to get on JK’s bad side.  We should run 3 punter combo plays, have the other team’s head spinning.

JK is like 23 feet tall.  He only weighs like 65 pounds, but he can probably punch you before you even see him.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Joe said:

I do agree that we should have way more IDL on our current roster, especially if we run fronts with an IDL playing the 4i role not to mention how poorly that group has performed as a group the past decade. I'm also sure that we can do better than Anthony Rush in signing guys to the 90-man roster when a position is open.

Clark.  Lowry.  Keke.  Lancaster.  Slaten.

Last year we kept 5 out of camp.  Clark.  Lowry.  Keke.  Adams. Lancaster.

Maybe with a new DC we expand that number.  Who knows.

For me, I'm all for bringing in FA's that can push those 5.  See if someone can step up and beat out Lancaster.  

Atkins is still out there.  Snacks.  Short.

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

For me, I'm all for bringing in FA's that can push those 5.  See if someone can step up and beat out Lancaster.  

I'm thinking when we trade Rodgers one of the players plus picks we get in return is going to be a d-lineman. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm thinking when we trade Rodgers one of the players plus picks we get in return is going to be a d-lineman. 

When they trade Rodgers in March of 2022, if a player comes back, that doesn't help the 90 man roster for TC 2021. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

That sounds great in theory, but any of those players are going to want roster and signing bonus money guarantees up front. They have no interest in coming in to compete for a roster spot. 

57 minutes ago, R T said:

When they trade Rodgers in March of 2022, if a player comes back, that doesn't help the 90 man roster for TC 2021. 

I personally don't see this getting resolved. I think he's traded this summer. Just my opinion of course!

3 hours ago, R T said:

That sounds great in theory, but any of those players are going to want roster and signing bonus money guarantees up front. They have no interest in coming in to compete for a roster spot. 

I feel the same way.  Also....Lancaster is the one that could be gone.  Not sure if Atkins has the anchor anymore for a Lancaster role.  Harrison does, we saw it.  And I couldn't say if Short has anything left.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Clark.  Lowry.  Keke.  Lancaster.  Slaten.    Last year we kept 5 out of camp.  ...   Maybe with a new DC we expand that number.  Who knows.

For me, I'm all for bringing in FA's that can push those 5.  See if someone can step up and beat out Lancaster.   Atkins is still out there.  Snacks.  Short.

The other two on the roster are Previlon and Jack Heflin. 

Previlon stayed on the 65-man roster and was added to the regular roster for several games.  Previlon got some favorable camp comments last summer, said to be pretty quick, good feet, and to have good flexibility and bend.  What the real guy is now I don't know, but he lists at 6'5" but only 287.  (Roster lists Keke at 288, for comparison sake.).   I get the sense that Previlon might be a good movement/agility guy, with some athleticism.  Probably not going to be a massive run-plug heavyweight like Slaton or Snacks or Pickett or Jolly.  But I'd assume he's the next man up, and will be competing with Slaten, Lancaster, and Lowry for a spot.  It's not impossible that Previlon would win a 53-spot and that Slaten would get placed on the 65-man roster via PS.  

Heflin profiles as a strong, run-defense-oriented guy, too.  Not sure how he'll do in pros, but he played a lot of run-defense in college, and the scouting reports describe him as strong.  Not a long guy who's going to be knocking down passes, but some of the shorter-stockier guys do well with pad-level and function well. He's got a chance to surprise.  Presumably he's targeted for PS, but surprises happen.  

Last year, the Packers averaged ~2.1 DL-per-snap.  again, not sure how Barry might shift that, maybe it will increase a little, maybe not.  But I'd guess that with on average ~2 DL/snap, that 5 DL on the 53 with 1-2 more on the PS seems likely.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I feel the same way.  Also....Lancaster is the one that could be gone.  Not sure if Atkins has the anchor anymore for a Lancaster role.  Harrison does, we saw it.  And I couldn't say if Short has anything left.

Just exactly what was it that we all saw? Harrison had played roughly half of a season with Seattle before joining the Packers for their last 3 games. In those games Harrison played 31 defensive snaps and recorded a grand total of 1 assist on a tackle.